Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eastafspot
Topic Author

GA860 CGK-HKG | New T3 & GA lounge | A330 in Y+

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:52 pm

Hi there,

Here is a quick report about GA, done in June.

The free Ibis Budget hotel shuttle dropped me off at the quiet and recently built Terminal 3. The home carrier GA moved all their operations the 1st of May 2017. When talking to one of the security staff, he revealed me that the building a akin an Indian construction. Not sure what he exactly meant... :lol:

Moderate trafic at 8am to CGK

First glimpses of the newest terminal

How nice !

Unlike the other terminals, it's very airy, bright and obviously modern with a nice architecture and local touches.
So following a quick x-ray check, I headed off to zone 1 for international departures and after peeking on both sides where Skypriority signages were visible I chose the left one fully dedicated to premium customers. Self service kiosks were available at the other end of the terminal

Going to BKK with GA868 would have make more sense for them ;-)

It shines bright

Keeping on learning about the local culture and other Indonesian destinations

Check in agent was polite and proactive. He managed to check my luggage all the way to Jozi in SA without a fuss but admitted that the GA/KQ codeshare agreement works mostly on CGK-BKK segment and was about to tear off all Bps to re print 3 BP with an extra HKG-BKK as an addition to the CGK-HKG-NBO-JNB until I explained him HKG-BKK was the same flight as HKG-NBO .

Also he told me that buying an upgrade at the airport is way more expensive than to bid online, despite having read that when done online you don't get the full treatment and get an economy class meal. Unfounded, he replied me. So to enjoy business class comfort on that day I had to fork out 4 millions IDR or 285 eur... (same price as the on line bid or fare difference of my ticket and J ticket btw) While i waited his enquiry to the ticketing team he suggested to sit down and relax on the armchairs available.

Time to check in

A welcoming space with free wifi

A good point is the channels for premium guest at both security and immigration posts. At 8.40 am it proved being useless as both totally deserted!

Past security & immigration posts, a Dutch bike ?

A few retails to be completed

GA lounges (First & Business), opposite to gate 9 at the mezzanine, are pretty nice, with a separate entrance for each class of course. For amenities not in the pictures, one can find prayer rooms (female and male), a business center, a kid area, relaxing rooms, theater room (with blockbuster movies screened all day long), reflexology chairs, smoking room, showers etc etc. It lacks a wider choice of newspapers and magazine in English language though. Due to ramadan fasting, a staffed bar did not display any alcoholic substances. Catering wise the usual local stuffs with also, like in some hotels, an egg station ( for omelette, scrambled etc etc..) so very appetizing!

First Class entrance unattended

The rest of mere mortals must go left for a first check...

And across a long corridor with, (i presume) behind the wall, the FC lounge at the right

The reception for J and STE+ clients

some views

This view is similar to PVG lounge 69 ...

Food buffet

The hearty selection

I'm pissed off because willing to buy some cigarettes, they appeared 2,5 times more expensive than what you can purchase landisde or in town. Can a smoker may explain the difference of taste and price???

Boarding on this A332, started later than initially planned, 10 min only, agents made the pax to respect their status/class and at the door 2L, a charming crew showed me the direction 2nd row right behind the business class, huh?

A heaven for spotters :)

PK – GPQ, a 4 yo machine

Without paying much attention, I've walked up to the back section of the aircraft to seat as initially, seat 26A was prebooked, now BP was showing 21K, so what happened? I think when the friendly check in agent confirmed me if i wanted a window, he unintentionally changed the seat.
Entering the second cabin at row 30, I figured out how cabins may vary from an airline to another. Y class starts at row 21, with the first row seats having extra legroom. Did I got this as a privilege due to the status or ramdomly? Sadly nobody will ever know ;-) . Truth be told is that situation was confusing because, unlike my brother, I hate being over the wing - better an aisle than a wing! But the free extra comfort troubled my mind.

Old J cabin – god bless the upgrade refusal!

Matching colors and modern cabin !

Going backwards to 21K

How cool from GA ! Well almost...

The only one in Y+ or whatever you want to call it !

Welcome drink (no choice) ;-)

The flight wasn't busy at all, 60% at best, a full middle row could be grabbed by anyone even after the crew dimmed off the light after lunch.

Ok, i'm not accustomed to Asian flights, so forgive my high expectations.
Meal today consisted of beef with rice or chicken with rice! After the [basic & tasteless] Ibis Budget hotel brekkie, yeahhh more rice :roll: !!!!

Full tray + hot option, then followed the bread and the cold drink. Half way through an attendant carried over a tray loaded of juices ( guava/mango/orange/water) and before landing a basket of candies.

5h for 2016 miles on a direct route.

I bet for the PK-GII ...

Old (and sweaty) terminal

Not always you get an amenity kit on a day time flight in Economy class, thank you GA !

Standard contents

A lucky opportunist

With free wifi (almost) everywhere in this world, who would dare a such spending ?

Certainly not the movie of the century...

Interesting details, for French and Spanish travellers...

Beef or chicken ? And what about the drink Mr 21K ?

A 5 yo kid just behind me just kept on kicking of the seat which was very irritating. Even though his dad was aware about that!

60% maybe in Y on this first service of the day to HKG

Perfume, hand lotion and toothbrush ; very much appreciated in Y ! Congrats GA !

Music to relax, and why not Madonna from time to time ? :)

More nasty sollicitations

In Africa, for that length (well, beyond 1h30 duration) you get an aperitif (drink and nuts), the same full meal as here, but also a service of coffee/tea! Surely the crew was good enough, nothing more than usual.

Landing video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-wT6f_wmoo

Like London a wee small extra tour in the air and then back to the ground from the west at 16:14!

The bests of you, can see the Ngong Ping 360 here...

One of 2 European A380,

Crew announced that J pax would disembark first and at 16:50 a staff at Skyteam Lounge told me to wait until 17:00 for champagne to be displayed in the ice bucket!

Last view of the beast

Overall, for my first time in CGK and with GA, a very enjoyable service with a brand new experience on the ground, that could please first time visitors as frequent flyers, onboard always nice to get a row upfront more over with extra legroom for free. IFE selection in French and music with ample choices, food and drink ok as they provide alcoholic beverages even during the Ramadam. Glad i've declined the upgrade with this older cabin, also without 2 bottles of wines drunk I could have ended up slapping the kid or his dad or certainly both .... :lol:

Thanks for reading!

smi0006

Re: GA860 CGK-HKG | New T3 & GA lounge | A330 in Y+

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:09 am

Anazing looking terminal are all GA flights operated from there now?

GA seems to have upped their game, hopefully they develop more of a huge to feed into and improve their he transit experience ex-AU.

I do think the skytrain award on the bulkhead is tacky.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:23 am

smi0006 wrote:
Anazing looking terminal are all GA flights operated from there now?

GA seems to have upped their game, hopefully they develop more of a huge to feed into and improve their he transit experience ex-AU.

I do think the skytrain award on the bulkhead is tacky.

Thanks for the comment Smi0006!
It's what i've been told, but not 100% sure if domestic ops depart from there too, if someone more knowledgeable about wants to confirm that!

LOL about the award, but come on, what's exactly the point of having a trophy if you don't publicly display it?? ;)

MarcoPoloWorld

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:05 am

EastAfSpot - Although your intra-Africa trip reports are the most intriguing, this was another amazing narrative from a different region. Thanks so much for sharing!

akhmad

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:56 pm

Habari za jioni, bonsoir, selamat malam Léonard! :smile:

You were flying GA, airline of my birth country! How awesome! :bigthumbsup:

So glad to experience GA's premium lounge through your eyes! You just captured everything. The atmosphere, the surrounding, just lovely! :cheerful:

Thank you so much for sharing! Terima kasih! :veryhappy:

Suryo :wave:

eastafspot
Topic Author

Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:33 pm

MarcoPoloWorld wrote:
EastAfSpot - Although your intra-Africa trip reports are the most intriguing, this was another amazing narrative from a different region. Thanks so much for sharing!

Thank you MarcoPoloWorld for your funny comment, Don't worry, next the TR will highlight Africa again :lol: ; despite having enjoyed the stay in Indonesia.

akhmad wrote:
Habari za jioni, bonsoir, selamat malam Léonard! :smile:

You were flying GA, airline of my birth country! How awesome! :bigthumbsup:

So glad to experience GA's premium lounge through your eyes! You just captured everything. The atmosphere, the surrounding, just lovely! :cheerful:

Thank you so much for sharing! Terima kasih! :veryhappy:

Suryo :wave:

Selamat siang Suryo
Among the 3 reasons which made me favour Garuda over the fierce competition, that's indeed the main one :)
The new terminal has a great architecture, and sorry, the lounge is so vast that it became impossible to take a photo of every corner ;-) .

I remember very well your last TR/visit to Indonesia before going to Australia, right? great stuff buddy but please share again the link of it :)
Any trip to the motherland planned in the next few months/years?

Asante sana / terima kasih banyak

Best regards
Leonard

akhmad

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:56 pm

eastafspot wrote:
Among the 3 reasons which made me favour Garuda over the fierce competition, that's indeed the main one :)
Sweet! :cheerful:

eastafspot wrote:
and sorry, the lounge is so vast that it became impossible to take a photo of every corner ;)
No worries. :spin:

eastafspot wrote:
but please share again the link of it
Here you are. :bouncy:

eastafspot wrote:
despite having enjoyed the stay in Indonesia
eastafspot wrote:
I wish, but not at the moment. To be honest, there were things I had to go through last one and a half years. :frown:
I'd tell you one day but not here.

riyadfilza

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:22 pm

eastafspot wrote:
It's what i've been told, but not 100% sure if domestic ops depart from there too, if someone more knowledgeable about wants to confirm that.

All of Garuda flights (domestic and international) are departing from Terminal 3.

Thank you for sharing us! :-)

gia777

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:41 am

Nice trip report only but whoever make the design and planning of Terminal 3 should be fired. Fail Airport Design.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:51 am

akhmad wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
but please share again the link of it
Here you are. :bouncy:

Thank you very much for the link, I've read it again with pleasure and a fresh perspective :)

akhmad wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
despite having enjoyed the stay in Indonesia
eastafspot wrote:
I wish, but not at the moment. To be honest, there were things I had to go through last one and a half years. :frown:
I'd tell you one day but not here.

Don't worry Suryo, I understand where you put the priorities. Hopefully for you, the trip will come sooner rather than later.

riyadfilza wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
It's what i've been told, but not 100% sure if domestic ops depart from there too, if someone more knowledgeable about wants to confirm that.

All of Garuda flights (domestic and international) are departing from Terminal 3.

Thank you for sharing us! :-)

You are welcome and thank you so much for reading and the info given.

gia777 wrote:
Nice trip report only but whoever make the design and planning of Terminal 3 should be fired. Fail Airport Design.

Thank you for reading and commenting.
May I ask, what do you dislike exactly? Maybe a building with traditional looking feel and less "modern" would have pleased you more?
At least inside a good point is that, amenities/equipments make time flies faster :lol: