Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyRow
Topic Author

Flying from the Danube to the Low-Countries, a Wizzair Budapest-Eindhoven flight.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to my first trip-report, after reading a lot of reports on this great site I thought it was only fair to share my latest flight from Budapest to Eindhoven. Please except that my English spelling might be a bit bad, and that the format/photo's might not be totally A.net style, I tried my best!

Background

After a long year of studying my girlfriend and I decided to go on holiday. As we are not in-to big seaside resorts and love to travel, we decide to go on the infamous-Interrail trip. As both a airline and train geek I was stoked and soon planning commenced.

We decided on a Ljubljana - Bled - Vienna (+ day trip to Bratislava) - Budapest route. With a Transavia flight from Schiphol to Ljubljana (sorry no pictures) and a Wizzair flight from Budapest to Eindhoven. We did look for other flights but paying for example Air France 200€ euro more for a flight including a 30min connecting time at CDG isn't worth it.

One little tip for anyone interested in training around the EU by the way, check the local train operator prices first before booking a EUrail/Interrail pass, our main Bled-Vienna and Vienna-Budapest train trips where not even a sixth of the price of a whole Interrail pass because we booked really early on the ÖBB-site.

This would also be the first time on a A321 for me, and especially on a 230-LCC version, so I was looking forward to it.

The Flight:

Imagemap GCMAP by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Date: 27-7-17
From: Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport [ BUD ]
To: Eindhoven Airport [ EIN ]
Flight Number: W6-2273
Plane Type: A321-200
Plane Reg: HA-LXS
Flight time: 1.47h
STD: 15:15
ATD: 15:37
STA: 17:20
ATA: 17:25
Seats: 15a/15b
Load Factor: 80%

After a great holiday the flight home eventually came. Taking the M4-Metro Line (with some great Soviet nostalgia feeling) and the 200E bus (over some terrible roads) we finally arrived at the airport. We arrived really early as we didn't know exactly at what time we would arrive and how smooth the public transport connection would be. Of course when you plan for such an occasion it all goes smoothly and you arrive 3,5 hours early. While this does sound crazy, the airport did advise to calculate some extra time due to road closures around the airport due to the arrival of the motorcade of the Israeli president exactly around the time we would be traveling to the airport.

So, after arriving at the 2B we excepted that a half an hour waiting in the sun with a cup of coffee wasn't bad, as it also gave us time to prepare our backpack's for air travel.
However, after waiting until the T-3 hours moment passed we headed to the check in area. The Wizzair section has two big sings saying "Are you traveling within 3 hours, head to check in" + the usual LCC bag-check stands. So, we approached the staff at the top of the Queue with our boarding pass ready.

You can't check in

Well, we only want to drop our bags, is that possible?

only 1 am

But it says three hours on the two! signs next to the queue entrance, plus our flight shows "please check in" on the FIDS.

big sign is wrong

So why put it there then, turn it around, tape it off or remove it, but this was just plain annoying. A lot of people were standing around the check-in area without a clue what was going on and why they couldn't check in. I don't mind waiting, but at least be consistent with your information. Especially with two busy A321 flights (Luton and Eindhoven) departing at the same time, why hold people back.
In the end we could check in, drop our bags and after trying to decifer what the girl at the counter was saying (terrible English and German, try'd both) we headed for security.

Terminal 2B
ImageIMG-20170727-WA0000 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Boarding

Then came the part I dreaded about, I heard a lot of things about the infamous "lightweight, innovative" boarding gates at Budapest Airport and i wasn't disappointed. For those who don't know it, this is how it works.

45min before the flight departs your gate is announced, the A12-A19 gates use a single entrance which leads to the boarding gates. I found the 45min time weird, while I wouldn't want to stay in the holding pen longer, it is weird that the gate closes 15min after being announced. Our gate was selected at 14.30'ish and our boarding pass stated it closes at 14.45.

Our "gate A19"

ImageIMG-20170727-WA0004 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

The other gates

ImageIMG-20170727-WA0008 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

The Terminal from the outside

ImageIMG-20170727-WA0012 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

I don't know if this area is meant to look like a cattle sorting station, but it does look like it. I know I am flying an LCC, but some decoration, benches and a TV showing flight information isn't to much to ask. I cant believe Budapest Airport presents this as innovative. While you are here only a short time, I wouldn't want to spend time here in Winter or a Hot summer sun. The toilet service is even a multiple toilet-box like the ones you see at big events or festivals.

I don't think there is even a PA-system, or maybe the staff didn't care because the flight departure time passed and we still where in our holding pen. Finally, after our departure time had passed we could walk towards the plane, with a roof above our head!

First glimp of our plane
ImageDSC_0450 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Sad to see this is all that is left of Malev

ImageDSC_0453 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Up close

ImageDSC_0454 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Our neigbour, Easyjet to Amsterdam

ImageDSC_0452 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

And a white-tailed Norwegian 737-800

ImageDSC_0451 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Front door please!

ImageCopy of DSC_0457 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

The control pannel showing the young age of this plane

ImageCopy of DSC_0458 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Boarding to the back-entrance still in progress

ImageCopy of DSC_0463 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

On Board

I was expecting a tacky-low-cost interior, but was happily surprised. The pink and purple aren't my favorite colors but the interior is really not that bad. Seat pitch at 30 inches is okay, and the standard slimline seats where comfortable. While they are comfortable, i saw a Astana-Budapest Wizzair flight, and then I would like something more supporting.

The Obligatory legroom-shot

ImageCopy of DSC_0461 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

The row next to us, with slimline seats

ImageCopy of DSC_0462 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

The purple seats and pink overhead trim:

ImageCopy of DSC_0459 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Exit row looks nice, but for a price

ImageCopy of DSC_0460 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

The one weird thing is the seat-table. It is small. high up and doesn't move towards you. While nice for a drink, you cant use it for a laptop, book or magazine. My History magazine shows the table's small size.

ImageCopy of DSC_0491 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

With Magazine

ImageCopy of DSC_0492 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Not to bad though, I still had a view of the wing and engine

ImageDSC_0464 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

The flight

Finally boarding was completed and we headed for runway 31L, our flight taxied past the terminals, seeing a lot of LCC-planes, but a view interesting things as well. After takeoff we headed north-westerly over germany and the Ruhr, before turning and landing in Eindhoven on runway 03. We had some views shortly after and before landing/takeoff. But the bulk of the flight was above the clouds. The flight itself was about 80% full, not bad for a double daily 230-seat route. I didn't know that the EIN-BUD flights where that frequent and large before booking.

Stairs are gone

ImageDSC_0468 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Driving past the "gate area"

ImageDSC_0470 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Past the terminal, some LCC's, BA, Iberia Express and Emirates in the back. Also construction of the new 2B pier.

ImageDSC_0471 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

The Skycourt area
ImageDSC_0474 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Now what is this? A Formula 1 plane, does someone know what that is?

ImageDSC_0477 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Nearly there

ImageDSC_0478 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Turning on to 31L

ImageDSC_0479 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Take off. short and powerfull! Sorry for the quality, it is made by my phone

https://youtu.be/InkM9MPjb5U

Our route, thanks to flightradar24

Imagevlucht Buda HA-LXS by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Over Budapest

ImageCopy of DSC_0484 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Sziget Island in the middle

ImageCopy of DSC_0485 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

And Above the clouds

ImageCopy of DSC_0494 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Nice Contrail beside us

ImageCopy of DSC_0496 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Fleet information

ImageCopy of DSC_0488 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Safety card

ImageCopy of DSC_0499 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

ImageCopy of DSC_0498 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Approach, landing and Arrival

The approach started above the Ruhr area, bumpy across the clouds, but also chaotic by the flight crew. A short loud "prepare landing" from the flight deck was all that was heard from the crew, only after they had secured the cabin from landing an announcement was made. Usually it's the other way round or am I wrong?

We landed on runway 03, and after taxiing past the military buildings we finally arrived at stand 6, our bags where already on the belt when we arrived in the terminal of Eindhoven.

Over the Ruhr-Area

ImageCopy of DSC_0502 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Past Weeze-Airport

ImageCopy of DSC_0503 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Pancake flat, we must be in the Netherlands

ImageCopy of DSC_0506 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Eindhoven "skyline"

ImageCopy of DSC_0509 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Over the Eindhoven-Amsterdam Railway

ImageCopy of DSC_0510 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

A video of the last section of the landing, past the terminal:
https://youtu.be/MFJVo55taOY

Air Force Hangars

ImageCopy of DSC_0517 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Nearly there

ImageCopy of DSC_0518 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Standard Eindhoven Line up. the big 3 at Eindhoven soon completed with our arrival

ImageCopy of DSC_0519 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Airstairs powered by solar-panels, nice!

ImageCopy of DSC_0524 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Goodbye!

ImageCopy of DSC_0525 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Only partly roofed walkways here, but the Eindhoven Gates are much nicer, you get some you loose some

ImageCopy of DSC_0526 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

One last view of our pink-purple stallion

ImageCopy of DSC_0527 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

Super advanced bag system here

ImageCopy of DSC_0528 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

And the other side of the wall sees the bags pop out

ImageCopy of DSC_0529 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

230 passengers around a small belt gets a bit crowded

ImageCopy of DSC_0530 by Mathijs Louter, on Flickr

And then this happened, the bags got stuck. Instead of letting one of the handlers climb up and give the bag a little push. They looked at the belt 3 times, waited, did nothing and finally shut of the belt.. then again nothing.. 10 minutes later. A little girl had enough, climbed on top of the belt and pushed of the bag. Everyone clapped, but then she got told of by one of the staff. Which made a few of the passengers a bit cross. While I know that you shouldn't climb a belt, in this case I fully support the girl. The belt wasn't broke, it had one stuck bag. Probably some stupid health and safety rule. In the end the handler just used the other belt for the rest of the luggage.

Conclusion

I enjoyed my flight on Wizzair, for that price you simply cant expect more. Budapest Airport is nice, as long as you don't have to use the cattle-gates. I really wouldn't want to be there on a hot or cold day. Arriving at Eindhoven was easy as always, quick bag return, a little supermarket in the main hall and frequent busses back to the main station, all that I want!

I hope you lot enjoyed my trip report, if you have any questions, comments or tips, please let me know!

FlyRow

theobcman

Re: Flying from the Danube to the Low-Countries, a Wizzair Budapest-Eindhoven flight.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:38 pm

Hey really good report. I flew Wizz LTN-BUD and they're absolutely fine. For some really cheap fares you can get on Wizz they do the job well.

A picture with commentary report is getting more rare on this site - well done.

FlyRow
Topic Author

Re: Flying from the Danube to the Low-Countries, a Wizzair Budapest-Eindhoven flight.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:37 pm

theobcman wrote:
Hey really good report. I flew Wizz LTN-BUD and they're absolutely fine. For some really cheap fares you can get on Wizz they do the job well.

A picture with commentary report is getting more rare on this site - well done.

Thanks for the compliment. And indeed, I would prefer W6 to FR. Only the FR network is more widespread.

11725Flyer

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Wow! So many pictures. Thanks for sharing and including descriptions. The picture of the magazine certainly shows how small the tray was. Hope you enjoyed your trip!

FlyRow
Topic Author

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:12 am

11725Flyer wrote:
Wow! So many pictures. Thanks for sharing and including descriptions. The picture of the magazine certainly shows how small the tray was. Hope you enjoyed your trip!

Thanks for reading it :)
Yeah, I suppose with a drink can it's nice as your knee's dont touch it, but for anything else it's annoying.

irishsmile68

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Excellent first flight report! Thanks for sharing your experience and fabulous photos, I really enjoyed reading your report. Looking forward to your next flight/review/ trip report.

FlyRow
Topic Author

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:10 pm

^^
Thanks Irishsmile :)

KiloRomeoDelta

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:16 am

Ouch, that gate area looks nasty! I also took a WizzAir flight from Budapest yesterday but luckily my flight was scheduled from one of the B gates which are inside an actual terminal, with a bus taking us to the plane. I had no idea BUD airport has that cattle holding pen pretending to be boarding gates!

FlyRow
Topic Author

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:08 am

KiloRomeoDelta wrote:
Ouch, that gate area looks nasty! I also took a WizzAir flight from Budapest yesterday but luckily my flight was scheduled from one of the B gates which are inside an actual terminal, with a bus taking us to the plane. I had no idea BUD airport has that cattle holding pen pretending to be boarding gates!

The B-gates had one of these as well, but now the B-pier is being build on top of that. The Google Sattelite view still shows the old B-gates cattle pen.
Thanks for reading :)

HHScot

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Great to read a trip report with pictures on the site and not links elsewhere or videos!

That gate area at BUD looked terribly unpleasant! And the pictures on that safety card looked like they almost forgot to draw clothes on the cabin crew member! :shock:

FlyRow
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:46 am

HHScot wrote:
Great to read a trip report with pictures on the site and not links elsewhere or videos!

That gate area at BUD looked terribly unpleasant! And the pictures on that safety card looked like they almost forgot to draw clothes on the cabin crew member! :shock:

Thanks for the reply :) And didn't spot that on the safety card, but now you say that :P