Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Adipasquale
Topic Author

DL ITH-DTW-PVG-DTW-ITH in Y. Experiencing the Smallest and Largest Types in DL's Fleet

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:29 pm

I just got back from an amazing two weeks in China, and the icing on the cake was that I got my first 747 flight. I'll start from the beginning!

ITH-DTW July 5 DL 7359, Operated by OO
CRJ-200
N935SW
MSN 7725, Delivered 3 Jan. 2003

Flying out of ITH is very easy because of its small size. It doesn't take more than 15 minutes to get through TSA, and once you get through, the gates are right in front of you.

The flight boarded on time, and another advantage and as there were no elites on this flight, my girlfriend and I were the first to board when they began boarding Zone 1.

My seat, 10D, was pretty standard for a CRJ, nothing special, but not too bad for a one hour flight.

Legroom was adequate for my 6' frame

Looking out the window at the fuel truck

DL CRJ-200 Safety Card

We took off on time, for our 55 minute flight to DTW, and once at cruise, were served DL's standard domestic snack and drink.

The hour flight passed quickly, and we landed smoothly in DTW on time. I know the CR2 gets a bad reputation, but this flight and the many I have had before it demonstrated that the CRJ is a perfectly fine plane for the routes it is intended to fly.
We had a roughly three hour layover in DTW, so there was no stress making it to our connecting flight to PVG.

DTW-PVG July 5 DL 583
747-400
N666US
L/n 742 Delivered 18 August 1989

At the gate in DTW. Boarding was about 20 minutes late because our plane was a bit late arriving from NRT.

This was my first ever 747 flight, and I am so glad I was able to catch the Queen on DL before she is sent to pasture later this year. DL has done such a good job maintaining and upgrading the interiors of the 744s they inherited from NW, I doubt many people know how old these birds are. My seat, 64K was in one of the four rows of twosomes, which was perfect since I was traveling with my girlfriend. The extra space between the wall and seat was also really nice.

The one thing that is not quite up to today's standards are the smaller overhead bins.

Safety Card

Adequate legroom

The IFE screen was large, and the selection was good. There was USB power, but one drawback of the 744s is that only Y+ and Delta One have outlets. As it stood however, the USB power was perfectly fine for charging my phone.

Pushback was about 20 minutes late, but taxi was not too long, and we were cleared for takeoff quickly. I've flown many types before, from the Dash 8 to the 777, and nothing prepared me for how awe-inspiring a B747 takeoff is. Sitting at the rear of the plane, behind the engines as they spooled up to takeoff thrust was a truly amazing experience. As we gathered speed, the roar of the four PW4000s sent shivers down my spine, and in those few seconds as we rumbled down the runway, I got why the 747 is the Queen of the skies.

The first meal was served about an hour after takeoff, after the crew had already come around with hot towels and beverage service.

I chose the rice and seafood, which was tasty and filled me up. After a few hours, there was a mid-flight snack of flatbread pizza and ice cream, which was so good I forgot to take a picture of it before I ate it. About 1.5 hours prior to landing, meal service was offered again, and this time I selected the farfalle and chicken, which also exceeded my expectations.

Soon after the meal service ended, we began our descent into PVG

Despite taking off about 20 minutes late, we landed in PVG only about five minutes after our scheduled 6:55 pm arrival time. I was a bit surprised that we deboarded at a remote stand

We were bused to the terminal where passing through customs and immigration went smoothly.

My time in China was absolutely amazing, I could write a whole other trip report about it. I spent time in Shanghai, Beijing, and Xian and got to experience China's bullet trains, which are really amazing. Before I knew it, two weeks were up, and it was time to head back to ITH. The nigh before our departure, we stayed in a hotel near PVG to make our trip to the airport in the morning as stress free as possible. The shuttle got us to Terminal 1 in no time, and check in went smoothly.

PVG-DTW July 20 DL 582
747-400
N674US
L/n 1232 Delivered 18 October 1999

Once again, we boarded at a remote stand, and the waiting areas for remote stand boarding are not that impressive. So while PVG seemed very nice, because we boarded and deboarded via remote stands, I didn't really get to experience the good side of PVG. For this flight, I got the dreaded SSSS on my boarding pass, which was a bit of a pain in the you-know-what. I had never gotten the 'SSSS' before, and to me it really seemed a bit excessive. It delayed my boarding by over 10 minutes, and even though I was Zone 1, by the time I got through the extra screening, they were boarding people in Zones 2-3 and I had to wait longer to get on the plane. Altogether a thoroughly annoying experience that really serves no purpose IMHO.

But I did get nice views of our aircarft!

I wore an NW shirt I got from skyshirts.com, which was a huge hit with the former NW crewmembers. One of the very friendly FAs wanted the pilots (who were all former NW) to see it, and took me up to the flight deck! The pilots all loved it, and the captain let me sit in his seat while he snapped a few pictures of me. I chatted with them for a little while before heading back down to my seat.

For this flight, I had seat 64A. Although 6314 is 10 years younger than 6306, you really couldn't tell the difference in age from looking at the interior. Pushback and takeoff were right on time, and once again, takeoff was truly a breathtaking experience.

Meal service was about one hour after our 11:45 am takeoff. For the first meal, I had the rice and chicken option, which tasted good.

I read and slept for a bit before the FAs came through with snack service that consisted of a chicken and herb flatbread sandwich with ice cream. This time, I remembered to take a picture of my snack before eating it!

After the snack, I watched Gone With the Wind, which was a good way to kill almost four hours!

Soon after I finished my movie, the FAs came through with hot towel service, and then the last meal service, for which I chose rice and dumplings.

Soon after the meal service ended, we began our descent into DTW, which was rather bumpy. We touched down gently, and were parked at our gate about 20 minutes early.

Passing through customs and immigration took a while because they didn't have very many lanes open. Also, I am not a big fan of the new kiosks they have. In other countries I've been to, the kiosks completely replaced immigration agents, but in the US, it is just another step to wait in line for before seeing the agent anyways. I would rather just fill out the immigration card on the plane and wait in line only once in the airport. In any event, we made it through and rechecked our luggage in plenty of time to make it to our gate for our connecting flight to ITH.

DTW-ITH July 20 DL 7433 Operated by OO
CRJ-100ER
N881AS
MSN 7496, Delivered 25 May 2001

Boarding began on time, and the seats on this plane looked like they had been reupholstered recently, my seat, 5D, was comfortable. The flight took off on time, our FA was friendly, and the roughly 45 minute flight to ITH was uneventful. We landed about 10 minutes early, and deboarded quickly via jetbridge. I waited at baggage claim about seven minutes before my luggage arrived.

In summation, my flight experience with DL (and OO) was very good. From the service, to the condition of the planes I flew on, everything met or exceeded my expectations. It is experiences like the the ones chronicled here that make being a DL FF worth it for me, despite the fact that the Skymiles program has been devalued in recent years. My biggest complaints (SSSS bp and US Immigration) really had nothing to do with the airline, but the security charade that is post 9/11 travel. On a personal level, I am so glad I can now say I've flown on the Queen of the skies, and I give credit to DL for not only keeping the 747 in service this long, but investing money on the interiors to keep their hard product competitive, especially when the 744s are used on mostly 12+ hour routes. I will be happy to see the A350 enter service, and I'm sure it will offer a better hard product than even updated 744s can, but deep down, I will miss seeing the 747 in DL colors. When the 747's time with DL comes later this year, all I can say is rest well old friends, and thank you for the memories.

cricket

Re: DL ITH-DTW-PVG-DTW-ITH in Y. Experiencing the Smallest and Largest Types in DL's Fleet

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Glad you got to experience the 747 before it goes out of service with DL; I hope you get an opportunity to try some other 747's soon!

CollegeAviator

Re: DL ITH-DTW-PVG-DTW-ITH in Y. Experiencing the Smallest and Largest Types in DL's Fleet

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:35 pm

Nice report!
ITH reminds me of the airport we have here at GFK - with just two gates, it feels nice and cozy.

Great to see a DL B747 Y report - it does look rather nice and DL have taken good care of it. I have also found catering on DL intl to be rather nice, which is the same case here.

You also got a flight on the CRJ-100ER, lucky you!!

Thanks for sharing!

CA

jeffrey1970

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:41 am

I love your NW t-shirt. I have a similar United t-shirt. I want to thank you for showing the inside of ITH. So many people ignore the small airports when it comes to taking pictures.

hirofumi

Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:03 am

You're right, the meals do look pretty good and generous quantity too! What a generous amount of fresh fruits also on your first flight. I used to fly MSP/DTW to NRT for several times in 2008/2009 during Northwest days and back then the dessert consisted of Oreo cookies, mid-flight snack was just a small sandwich and the pre-landing meal was processed pineapples and the main dish barely edible. Not to mention there was no individual TV in each seat on 747s. Delta really improved the service greatly!

N415XJ

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:41 pm

Great trip report! I actually saw you take off on the 5th. The flotilla of 747s in the afternoon bound for Asia is always a highlight for me here in the Detroit area. I remember clearly as it was my first day back in town after spending the 4th upstate- I checked FR24 on my phone as the 74 roared overhead and saw that it was headed to Shanghai. Really interesting to see the perspective onboard! I have come close to flying DL's 747s before, but it never actually panned out. I really hope I get a chance to fly aboard one before they're retired.

Adipasquale
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:59 pm

Thank you all for reading my TR and the the kind comments! Knowing that many of you enjoy reading them makes me want to do more.
cricket wrote:
I hope you get an opportunity to try some other 747's soon!

I hope so too, but unfortunately not many Skyteam airlines still operate the 747.
CollegeAviator wrote:
I have also found catering on DL intl to be rather nice, which is the same case here.

I was definitely pleasantly surprised by the quality and quantity of food.
CollegeAviator wrote:
You also got a flight on the CRJ-100ER, lucky you!!

My first CR1 flight!
jeffrey1970 wrote:
I want to thank you for showing the inside of ITH. So many people ignore the small airports when it comes to taking pictures.

I feel like many smaller airports are ignored, glad to see I'm not the only one with that sentiment.
hirofumi wrote:
individual TV in each seat on 747s. Delta really improved the service greatly!

So many people say service has gotten worse, but I'd argue that at least in Y, it has gotten better.
N415XJ wrote:
I actually saw you take off on the 5th. The flotilla of 747s in the afternoon bound for Asia is always a highlight for me here in the Detroit area.

Awesome! I always think about people on the ground looking up at the aircraft as it flys by.

LostLuggage

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:36 pm

Thanks for the report, it's very well written and the photos do the journey justice. As someone already said, ironically you caught a rarer bird than the 744 in the CR1!

I also disembarked a 747 on a remote stand in PVG, it's quite a sight to behold despite the inconvenience. Fantastic to see a 747 in such good shape in Y though. What a shame Delta's jumbos are on the brink of extinction. Compared to some airlines' 747s (UA, BA, KL), passengers must've thought they were flying on brand new planes.

jb1087xna

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:53 am

Thanks for the report!

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that seat-back IFE is similar to that of the newest DL birds (739s/A321s)...at least at this vantage. I would've assumed they'd have the older version that the 763-nonER fleet still has and that has relatively recently been replaced on the 75X fleet as they were converted to 75Ds.

Adipasquale
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:25 am

jb1087xna wrote:
Thanks for the report!

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that seat-back IFE is similar to that of the newest DL birds (739s/A321s)...at least at this vantage. I would've assumed they'd have the older version that the 763-nonER fleet still has and that has relatively recently been replaced on the 75X fleet as they were converted to 75Ds.

DL refurbished the interiors of their 744s in 2011-2012, at which point the larger IFE screens had already been adopted. This was a serious upgrade over the old NW interiors, ironically some of the 744s we're retired less than two years after they received the cabin upgrades.

DTWorld

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:25 am

Good report. I too will miss the 744s.

As for customs I do agree that there's a lot of wasted space in there where CBP could really revamp the ropes to make it more efficient. I really hate how both sides now merge directly in front of global entry so those poor agents have to play traffic cop between both sides, global entry, wheelchairs, crew, people holding babies, people with crutches, etc It's even worse when you have a flight coming in at A40 or even A38 where agents seem more visibly stressed to the point of yelling at people to move (one agent in particular was incredibly rude about it to someone who clearly spoke little English).. In the case of the PVG flight, it doesn't help that FCO, LHR, AMS, NRT, NGO and AM arrive at the same time (possibly a few others as well, but still it's a mess).

rockyracoon

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks for the report, I enjoyed it. Cool experience being invited to the cockpit.

BatonOps

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Great report. I grew up near ITH. It's a great small town airport.

MarcoPoloWorld

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:33 am

DTW is a great gateway for DL. Glad you had a chance to do the 747 out of there. Although not a memorable replacement for the 747, the A350 début will occur from DTW, including Delta's new premium economy product - so that should keep things exciting at Détroit.

KDTWflyer

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:04 am

Sweet trip report! That's really awesome that you got to board via stairs in PVG - that's some classic jumbo-era stuff right there!

Adipasquale
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:35 am

DTWorld wrote:
Good report. I too will miss the 744s.

Thanks! I'm sure everyone on A.net will miss them!
rockyracoon wrote:
Cool experience being invited to the cockpit.

It was my first time entering the flight deck on any commercial type!
BatonOps wrote:
Great report. I grew up near ITH. It's a great small town airport.

Great little airport, and I love the area too despite the winters.
MarcoPoloWorld wrote:
DTW is a great gateway for DL. Glad you had a chance to do the 747 out of there. Although not a memorable replacement for the 747, the A350 début will occur from DTW, including Delta's new premium economy product - so that should keep things exciting at Détroit.

Although the A350 won't be the 747, I'm sure the hard product will be stellar. It has the unfortunate position of replacing the most iconic airliner of all time. Big shoes to fill. Hopefully I'll be able to catch the 350 to ICN next summer!
KDTWflyer wrote:
Sweet trip report! That's really awesome that you got to board via stairs in PVG - that's some classic jumbo-era stuff right there!

Thanks! The awesome views during boarding definitely made up for the inconvenience of boarding via airstairs.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:46 am

Not to burst your bubble, but everything I can find online about 881AS, is that it's a 200. It appears to have 2B1 engines, which is more or less what makes a CRJ a 200 vs a 100 (with 2A1 engines).

Adipasquale
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:13 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Not to burst your bubble, but everything I can find online about 881AS, is that it's a 200. It appears to have 2B1 engines, which is more or less what makes a CRJ a 200 vs a 100 (with 2A1 engines).

CR1s and 2s have CF-34-3 engines. Flightradar24 had it as a CR1, so when I boarded, that's what I saw. I can't remember where they get their info. Planespotters.net, says it has -3A1s:
https://m.planespotters.net/airframe/Ca ... t-Airlines
Airfleets says it has -3B1s:
http://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-crj-7496.htm
So I'm not sure which one is accurate.

ExpatFlyer

Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:21 am

Hi, thank you Adipasquale for sharing your TR, and while reading it my mind recalled memories of the good old days,and many trips, flown onboard Northwest B747-400 either across the Atlantic between AMS and DTW or JFK, as well as across the Pacific.

Personally Northwest has always been my favorite US airline, and the NW livery, especially the latest version, was simply amazing, and looked particularly stylish on the 747.

The very last time I flew on the mighty NW 747-400 was back in 2009, from Hong Kong to Tokyo-Narita, en-route back to Fort Lauderdale, and thought of adding few pics as a great memory of one of the greatest airlines, and I'm sure you will like them,as wellas fellow a.netters.

All the best, and enjoy the week-end.

These pics were taken at HKG in July 2009, before boarding flight NW 98 to NRT:

ImageNW 98 HKG-NRT (1) by Antonio Acunzo, on Flickr

ImageNW 98 HKG-NRT (2) by Antonio Acunzo, on Flickr

ImageNW 98 HKG-NRT (3) by Antonio Acunzo, on Flickr

ImageNW 98 HKG-NRT (5) by Antonio Acunzo, on Flickr

ImageNW 98 HKG-NRT (8) by Antonio Acunzo, on Flickr

ImageNW 98 HKG-NRT (7) by Antonio Acunzo, on Flickr

ImageNW 98 HKG-NRT (6) by Antonio Acunzo, on Flickr

Then just a couple of pics of the business class cabin which was at the fore front of the main deck:
ImageNW 98 HKG-NRT (11) by Antonio Acunzo, on Flickr

ImageNW 98 HKG-NRT (12) by Antonio Acunzo, on Flickr

And few more pics of the NW 747-400 taken upon arrival at NRT:
ImageNW 98 HKG-NRT (23) by Antonio Acunzo, on Flickr

ImageNW 98 HKG-NRT (24) by Antonio Acunzo, on Flickr

ImageNW 98 HKG-NRT (27) by Antonio Acunzo, on Flickr

Adipasquale
Topic Author

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:42 pm

ExpatFlyer wrote:
The very last time I flew on the mighty NW 747-400 was back in 2009, from Hong Kong to Tokyo-Narita, en-route back to Fort Lauderdale, and thought of adding few pics as a great memory of one of the greatest airlines, and I'm sure you will like them,as well as fellow a.netters.

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures! Its interesting to see the old NW F seats. Flying on the 744 was truly an amazing experience!

11725Flyer

Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Great trip report. I'm jealous - looks like I won't make it one of DL's 747s. You watched one of my favorite (albeit long) movies and the picture of you in the cockpit was priceless. Thanks for sharing all with pictures!

ClipperYankee

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:15 am

I love our little airport at ITH. Never a hassle and since it's a relaxed place most everyone is in a good mood. Flying out of there on my way to HEL next April.

twindocstravel

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:21 am

Nice report! Glad you got a chance to experience the 747 before it flies into the sunset. We are going to fly UA's last 747 flight from ICN-SFO on October 29th and have been giving some serious consideration to trying to catch DL's last flight as well.