QF36
Airbus A330-300 (VH-QPC)
Economy Class
Seat 56B/59D
ETD: 1955H
ETA: 0540H
6hr 45min

Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvbwEXTNrns&t=627s

Another day, another flight. In continuation of my soiree around the region, this journey of mine originated in Kuala Lumpur earlier in the morning – destination Adelaide. It was booked via Emirates so they put me on Jetstar between KUL-SIN, and QANTAS all the way to Adelaide via Melbourne.

For the sake of this report, I will be focusing on the red eye between SIN-MEL.

Jetstar was on time, if not a little cramped on board. Since I was ticketed on a further itinerary, other passengers like me were identified over a manifest during BOB-cart service and provided with a bottle of water and muffin. That’s more than what MH caters for in economy class on a similar flight.

Transit in Singapore was roughly 4 hours so I used this opportunity to take a train downtown for a little hawker food. As great as Changi Airport is, I wasn’t about to hang around there for all that time with no lounge access on hand. However, since an evening departure was in store for me – heading back to the airport in rush hour squeeze was no fun. Imagine Tokyo rush hour trains but in high humidity.
Last edited by Ryanair!!! on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Re: QF Roo Takes Me A Long Way Me Home

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:52 am

Gate C11 was the point of entry this evening and I was probably one of the last ones to board having ran from the train station, to left luggage, through the crowded entry to airside before panting at the door of my chariot.

Increasingly, perhaps with age or I’m just not that interested with what’s happening outside the window on a red eye – I’ve seen myself assigning aisle seats for my flights. Tonight, it was no exception. A peek on the seat map beforehand, only single aisle seats were left so I chose 56B next to window seat 56A.

Being the last one to board, I saw the colour drain from my seat mate’s face as I approached.

“Sorry mate, you’re stuck with me tonight…” I joked as I made a casual glance about to see if there were anymore empty seats elsewhere.

Turned out my seat mate too was headed for Adelaide. As I live an hour out of the city in a little town, it was even more coincidental that he lived not too far from me as well.

I spied an empty row of 3 behind me at 59D and headed there instead. But unfortunately, the flight attendant insisted I remain at my assigned seat until after take-off. So, I was unceremoniously bundled back to my original seat until after airborne.

Take off on runway 20C was swift and immediate. As soon as we were on a level climb and seat belts pinged off, I quickly bid my goodbyes with my seat mate and headed aft. SCORE! What awaited me for this red eye flight was a make shift sky couch and a flat bed, albeit a short one. Still, I had 3 sets of pillow / blanket to stuff about to make my “bed” slightly comfier.

I also took this opportunity to peruse the latest Economy Class offering from QF. A large, crisp, quick responding PTV greets you with a small net storage beneath it. Perfect for storing our mobile device while it is hooked up to the USB port beside. I found the recline very generous especially after stepping off a Jetstar plane. A foot rest underneath the seat in front was a spring loaded net basket to hold your feet. One of the most comfortable I have experienced I begin to wonder why don’t more airlines adopt this?

The QF hosties were quick to get to work, with smiles on their faces quickly got the service cracking with bottles of water being distributed. Before we knew it, meal carts were pushed about and meals appeared. Menu cards were handed out earlier on ground before pushback so we already had a preview of what was on offer.

Meanwhile, I fired up the PTV and ended up plugging my Jays earphones using QF’s double-jack adaptor on their headphones. I watched LION since I didn’t manage to catch it before. I had tears running down my cheek as the hostie enquired my meal choice…..
Last edited by Ryanair!!! on Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:53 am

Roast Chicken with Lemon Garlic sauce was still thankfully available despite being in the last few rows. This being a red eye and sleep is paramount, we had everything piled on top of our meals (bread, cake, cutlery) so it was quite a clumsy affair at times. Drinks followed immediately from another hostie at the same cart. As you know some years back, QF did away with meal trays so now all we have it the main dish with its accompaniments stacked on it like a school canteen. On a day time flight, the dessert would be served from another cart after the main meal run.

One thing I couldn’t fault is QF’s excellent quality when it comes to their in-flight main meal. It was fairly flavoursome, succulent and sufficient for this time of the night. Another tea and coffee run followed and just as we crossed Jakarta, meal items were cleared and the cabin lights gradually dimmed.

Like in a military camp, it was lights out pretty soon.

With multiple pillows propped up strategically, blankets cushioning bits of the seats poking at me… It was pretty much a done deal in trying to get comfy stretched out on 3 seats. Except the fact that I hardly sleep on planes. Sleep, if any, was very fleeting and extremely interrupted. Still, rather this than having to rest sitting up with a stranger next to me.

Throughout the night, the flight attendants were taking turns to discreetly walk about the aisle with a torch for anyone needing water. At times, they gave out apples to keep the doctor away. Somewhere between Broome and the SA border, I did manage to get a quick nap.

Very slowly, bits of the cabin lights were very gently turned on. This cued slumbering passengers to get up and start crowding about the various lavs dotted about the cabin. I remained in a semi-prone position trying to open my crusty eye-lids in preparation for brekky service.

Kudos to QF for allowing the cabin to remain in a pseudo illuminated setting as they got the carts out. I notice how many airlines on red eye flights tend to turn the cabin lights to a full-on mode to shock our systems into gear. Hear that SQ/MH?

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:54 am

“Good morning, Sir. We have a warm ham and cheese wrap with tomato chutney, or a peach Danish.”
“I’ll have the wrap, please…”
“Certainly, anything to drink with that?”
“Tea, with sugar, please”

It was a simple affair, almost like a roadside café and the wrap came in a smart little box with perforated line prompts on where to tear. Dilmah tea on offer was, well… Dilmah. Better that that – God forbid, Lipton.

Brekky service was over almost as quickly as it began. By now, we were about 45 minutes out of Melbourne and the captain came on the blower to give us a morning address and some arrival details. ETA was 5 past 5am and being the first one in, I didn’t anticipate a bottle neck at the 3rd world Tullamarine arrivals. A chilly 4 deg was our introduction to autumn in Victoria. Oh, how I miss that weather after being in the tropics for a few months.

A myriad of announcements followed from the CSM with regards to preparing the cabin for landing. Our aircraft journeyed south and made a u-turn to those on the right side of the aircraft had a splendid view of Melbourne CBD and its gorgeous skyscrapers as we approached runway 34 at Tullamarine.

We very gently kissed Runway 34 very smoothly and slowed down with almost no reverse thrust. A very quick taxi later, we were docked at the international terminal. Arrival terminal was almost deserted except that we were bombarded by duty free specials as soon as we stepped out of the aircraft.

Royal Brunei Airlines followed very closely behind us so I managed to beat the crowd. Luggage collected and through the painless customs, and back upstairs to re-check in my bags to my final destination.

Another roughly 4 hours to kill before the domestic sector, but by then my eyes were so dry I thought I was just going to fall asleep sitting there and miss my flight. Thankfully I didn’t. A quick 55 mins later, we flew into a stormy, wet, and gloomy Adelaide and that concluded my journey. One which lasted more than 20 hours.

Home sweet home…

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Re: QF Roo Takes Me A Long Way Home

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:35 am

A pictorial summary of the outbound...

En route QF 674 ADL-MEL

QF35, MEL-SIN

QF35, menu

Pre-ordered meal for online bookings. Grilled baramundi. This being a day time flight, dessert and snack are served separately.

As I was still hungry, the friendly crew gave me what was left from meal service. I had a choice of Thai beef salad or vegetable beriyani.

After lunch items are cleared, a coconut and cherry cake awaits. A tad too sweet for me.

Followed very soon with ice cream.

We were thankfully not forced to lower our shades

An end to a lengthy meal service, chocolates with a choice of tea or coffee.

Poor man's Business Class, always great to be able to stretch out with an empty seat beside you.

Before landing, we get this disgusting fried noodle. Noodle is not even cooked, vegetables soggy... and a sesame dressing as an attempt to inject flavour into this otherwise bastardisation of an Asian staple.

Hello Changi Airport.

chepos

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:38 pm

Great trip report as usual mate!
Fly the Flag!!!!

caleb1

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:13 pm

Another fantastic report!!

Ryan h

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:22 am

Great report as usual.

Great photos too.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

smi0006

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:35 am

Wow great report, I was cynics the changes QF made to their meals. They claimed removing the trays allowed for more time with the pax, with biggger portions and a better service flow. I'd have to say though, they look like big high quality portions and a pretty service good offering - noodles aside.

lychemsa

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:26 pm

The fried noodle is very scary indeed.

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:23 am

chepos wrote:
Great trip report as usual mate!

caleb1 wrote:
Another fantastic report!!

Ryan h wrote:
Great report as usual.

Great photos too.

Thanks guys for popping by...

smi0006 wrote:
Wow great report, I was cynics the changes QF made to their meals. They claimed removing the trays allowed for more time with the pax, with biggger portions and a better service flow. I'd have to say though, they look like big high quality portions and a pretty service good offering - noodles aside.

I have had pretty good experiences with QF catering of late, although some frequent flyers seem to think otherwise.

lychemsa wrote:
The fried noodle is very scary indeed.

Yes the noodle was pretty disgusting. In fact, it is an insult to the mee goreng / chow mian / fried noodle staple. Can't believe that passed a taste test. LOL...

Cheers
Ryan

allrite

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:30 am

First time back to the site in weeks and there's a Ryan report. Happy!

Ryanair!!! wrote:
Yes the noodle was pretty disgusting. In fact, it is an insult to the mee goreng / chow mian / fried noodle staple. Can't believe that passed a taste test. LOL...

Looks like the kind of thing served up by a contestant on a cooking show or a food truck. The box was considered Instagram worthy so that's the important thing, hey.

Ryanair!!! wrote:
Increasingly, perhaps with age or I’m just not that interested with what’s happening outside the window on a red eye – I’ve seen myself assigning aisle seats for my flights.

Watch out, with age you might find yourself requesting seats near the lavatory! :)
I like artificial banana essence!

CollegeAviator

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Fabulous report! Nice to see Qantas have some decent service onboard :D

Tell me about three seat beds - they work at times, but more often than not you arrive with a sore neck, back, hip, etc...

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:22 am

Hi Guys!

allrite wrote:
Watch out, with age you might find yourself requesting seats near the lavatory! :)

Oh tell me about it. As I head into my 40s, I am starting to feel it. I used to be able to get off a plane after a 20hr flight and keep going. After this trip, I made another one to Asia and I flew back to ADL on MH, a red eye as well. I slept for 2 days afterwards!

CollegeAviator wrote:
Fabulous report! Nice to see Qantas have some decent service onboard :D

Tell me about three seat beds - they work at times, but more often than not you arrive with a sore neck, back, hip, etc...

hehehehe... yes u do, but it sure beats sitting upright trying to catch a nap!

Cheers
Ryan