Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

drian02
Topic Author

Iberia European Business Class on A321: Madrid to Düsseldorf

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Today I bring you a review of Iberia’s European business class. Specifically on the Madrid - Düsseldorf flight operated by an Airbus A321.

As I came from a previous flight and did not have much connection time I spent not more than 10 minutes in the Iberia’s VIP lounge in the T4 of Madrid airport. It offers cold catering with a decent variety of drinks, as well as Wi-Fi, showers, a rest area and a computer area available to passengers.
The truth is that with respect to meal variety in VIP lounges, Iberia is still far behind other European airlines such as Lufthansa or British Airways.

The flight started punctual, as usual in Iberia. After a long taxi, we took off from the RWY 36R of Barajas. Our flight takes us to Bilbao (North of Spain), Paris and then we head straight for Düsseldorf.

Shortly after reaching our cruise level the business class breakfast service begins. Breakfast consists of a main course of omelet and roasted tomatoes, accompanied by croissant, toast, bread, fruit, orange juice, jam, butter, yogurt and coffee or tea to choose from.

The only drawback is that there is no possibility of choosing the type of coffee you want to take (expresso, cappuccino ...) and that even other airlines offer in tourist class.

As for the seat, they are located in the front of the plane, it is the same type of seat that in tourist class with a little more separation and with the central seat free for comfort.

As far as entertainment is concerned, on European flights iberia only offers its magazine on board. A variety of daily newspapers is offered in Business Class.

After no more than 2h 15min flight we landed at Düsseldorf airport.

The level of Iberia's business class on European flights is within the average of any other airline operating similar routes, nothing to note, perhaps the variety in the onboard breakfast and the quality of the food in the VIP room are the main points to improve.

Here you will find the video of this flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGJ3GJxwgGs

Enjoy it! :wave:

dcajet

Re: Iberia European Business Class on A321: Madrid to Düsseldorf

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:56 pm

This was a regular intra-European flight; I can't think of any other Euro airline that offers glorified coffee drinks in their short haul business class. Not LH, not BA, not KL or AF.

True, some airlines offer these drinks on board in economy, but they are for sale. I am certain that if you had asked the IB crew for one they would have been happy to sell you one from the Y food carts.

LAHockey

Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:34 pm

Great trip report and video!

Keep up the good work!

ba319-131

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:32 pm

I flew back with IB business MAD-LHR a few weeks ago, service/catering in Business was much better than the outbound BA flight.

debonair

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:46 pm

VERY BIG mistake, the best airline between Spain and Germany is still LATAM with the B789 and a real BusinessClass cabin for the price of a standard Economy fare!
Next for sure is to fly via LHR on BA/IB with their B777 or A340/A330's - even cheaper by buying Economy and upgrading to ClubEurope...

theobcman

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:19 pm

[quote="debonair"]

Yes you are correct unless DUS has to be your destination ? Work ?

The LATAM 789 is indeed the best way to go. I took & reported on that flight in J. And paid €100 ow!!

Also did take & reported on the BA 772 in ClubWorld - lovely flights !!

drian02
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:47 am

dcajet wrote:
This was a regular intra-European flight; I can't think of any other Euro airline that offers glorified coffee drinks in their short haul business class. Not LH, not BA, not KL or AF.

True, some airlines offer these drinks on board in economy, but they are for sale. I am certain that if you had asked the IB crew for one they would have been happy to sell you one from the Y food carts.

I asked for a cappuccino because I saw it on the economy class menu, and as you said, they told me I had to pay for it. What I mean is that if you have paid for a business class seat and you are offered lounge access and better catering they could also offer better drink options. This is just my opinion of course.

drian02
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:48 am

LAHockey wrote:
Great trip report and video!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for your support!

drian02
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:55 am

debonair wrote:
VERY BIG mistake, the best airline between Spain and Germany is still LATAM with the B789 and a real BusinessClass cabin for the price of a standard Economy fare!
Next for sure is to fly via LHR on BA/IB with their B777 or A340/A330's - even cheaper by buying Economy and upgrading to ClubEurope...

I agree with you, no doubt that the best way to go to Frankfurt from MAD is with LATAM. I flew once with LAN on B788 the same route and the quality of the service in economy class is much better that on any other airline flying the same route. Next time I would definately try the LATAM Business class.

However, I had to fly to DUS and the IB fare was quite cheap...