Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

theobcman
Topic Author

Thomson (TUi) Dream)Liner LGW > PMI

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:24 am

It was time again to try another widebody in Europe to add to my ever increasing list. A great way to sample long haul aircraft on short routes. There were a few options but had my eye on Thomson's Dreamliner movements around Europe. Wanted to do LGW > TFS for the 4+ hours of flying but prices coming back same day were crazy ! Larnaca / Pahpos the same, so found a very cheap same day return on LGW > PMI. It was only two hours each way flying time but for what I paid a real bargin ! Thomson wouldn't let me book a return ticket as they say the turn around is too short but with no luggage, online check-in done & boarding passes in hand I knew it would be fine. Two one way's were booked.

The only down side of an 0615 flight is the 0245 alarm !! Up, changed, coffee and in the car. Was in LGW North at 0415.
ImageUntitled by The OBC Man, on Flickr

Even at this time LGW was rammed ! Not one seat could be got at any cafe / bar / restuarant. The morning wave of holiday destinations was in full effect !

I wandered to the gate. Along the way company 757/737 were being prepped.

Then there was mine. G-TUID a 3.9 year old B787-8 Dream)Liner. Was painted in the new TUi colours. This was an all Y confirgured 787, staying in Europe for the summer season I guess to cater for UK masses travelling on their yearly Med holidays. This was the best shot I could get :

First cabin impressions were good.

The take off roll on some my A380 flights have been almost silent, the 787 is not quite the same but still pretty quiet.

Space was actually better than this photo shows. Once I reclined I was fully stretched out.

IFE was fully operational today, easy to use, a good selection and good resolution.

Cabin views.

What's your mood today ??

Service was of course BOB. This BTW is highly recommended :

Back galley.

Flying high. This seems to be the norm with my Dreamliner flights.

Sitting at PMI.

VERDICT : A very enjoyable couple of flights to PMI and back. Cabin nice, seats comfortable, IFE entertaining and resposive, crew excellent. If I were travelling to MCO/BGI or HKT and the price was right wouldn't hesitate to book with Thomson ... or TUi I think they are now.

Next up for me Aer Lingus A333 DUB > AGP in J !!

debonair

Re: Thomson (TUi) Dream)Liner LGW > PMI

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:18 pm

NICE TR! You have done pictures from the rear of the cabin. According to seatguru, rows 31 to 36 are offering more leg room - is the difference noticeable?

Can't wait to see that TR online... :hyper:

What about an TR on-board Jet2's A330?! BTW PlusUltra just started MAD-BCN vv. A340-300 domestic flights! :bigthumbsup:

theobcman
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:43 am

debonair wrote:
NICE TR! You have done pictures from the rear of the cabin. According to seatguru, rows 31 to 36 are offering more leg room - is the difference noticeable?

Can't wait to see that TR online... :hyper:

What about an TR on-board Jet2's A330?! BTW PlusUltra just started MAD-BCN vv. A340-300 domestic flights! :bigthumbsup:

Cheers. I was sat in/allocated row 33 coming back & thought they had given me an extra legroom seat BUT this was as mentioned an all standard Y configured 787. No xtra legroom or premium seats. I'm guessing just flying around Europe for the summer for the masses ?!?!

Have been eyeing those Jet2 A330's yes. Will try for that on MAN-TFS i think BUT did not know about PlusUltra A343 on that !! Will do some research - it's on my list cheers.

TheGeordielad

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Great report

debonair

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:08 pm

theobcman wrote:
Have been eyeing those Jet2 A330's yes. Will try for that on MAN-TFS i think BUT did not know about PlusUltra A343 on that !! Will do some research - it's on my list cheers.

Nice to read from you - just returned from PMI. Outbound SunExpress Germany A330 op. on behalf of Eurowings, Basic-Fare but with XL-seats selected upgrade into BEST(Premium)-cabin... Inbound Jet2 A330 which is still broken - so sub-charter with HiFly's CS-TFZ. Again, XL-seat paid and upgraded into BusinessClass (but worse than the outbound)!

theobcman
Topic Author

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:35 pm

debonair wrote:

Nice to read from you - just returned from PMI. Outbound SunExpress Germany A330 op. on behalf of Eurowings, Basic-Fare but with XL-seats selected upgrade into BEST(Premium)-cabin... Inbound Jet2 A330 which is still broken - so sub-charter with HiFly's CS-TFZ. Again, XL-seat paid and upgraded into BusinessClass (but worse than the outbound)!

Well I sure hope you're doing a couple of trip reports in those flights ?? Especially CS-TFZ ? Please ... ?

ba319-131

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:37 pm

Nice read and pictures, thanks for sharing.

How full was the flight?

theobcman
Topic Author

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:42 pm

ba319-131 wrote:
Nice read and pictures, thanks for sharing.

How full was the flight?

Guessing around 90%. Didn't see many empties. All Y configured aircraft !

debonair

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:39 pm

theobcman wrote:
Well I sure hope you're doing a couple of trip reports in those flights ?? Especially CS-TFZ ? Please ... ?

I am so sorry, but nope. English is not my native language and I have no camera... So I am not fulfilling the rules of this forum.
A few words, HiFly was very professional, their BusinessClass seat was quite strange - only the cushion is sliding forwards, reducing only your own seat pitch (like the old CX Economy seats). Nice feature was the free, but basic IFE. Glad I was upgraded, as their Economy was in a very tight 3-3-3 configuration.

11725Flyer

Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:37 pm

Stunning pictures. Thanks for including the airport and multiple pictures of airline liveries I would normally never see. I hope you had a good time!

theobcman
Topic Author

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:51 pm

11725Flyer wrote:
Stunning pictures. Thanks for including the airport and multiple pictures of airline liveries I would normally never see. I hope you had a good time!

Thanks for stopping by. I did have good time - always nice to try another new WB !