Topic Author

Flying in the midnight sun with JAL from Finland to Japan

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:48 am

Japan Airlines

Boeing 787-9

JA862J

Flight date: 17-18 June 2017

Operating as JL414 from HEL to NRT

For some time now, Japan Airlines has been operating flights between Helsinki and Narita. Recently it has been upgraded from a 787-8 to the larger 787-9. I have always wanted to fly this airline, so I thought I should try this flight when I went to Japan for the first time this summer. It's always nice to see growth at the Nordic hubs, especially long-haul flights.

Having connected from OSL with Finnair, I made my way through to the non-schengen area at HEL. Since the border process is quite efficient, at least for citizens of the EU, EEA and Switzerland, I was through to the other side in less than 1 minute. This flight departs together with a large bank of other Asian bound flights operated by Finnair, so the terminal was very crowded.

I made my way to gate 37B, a bus gate. The gate area seemed empty, but it didn't take long before boarding started. The boarding process was very efficient, and the gate agents were very polite and helpful. The bus ride took about 3 minutes, and I soon boarded the mighty 787-9 via stairs. The 787-9 was larger than I had thought it was. I was greeted at the door by a very polite flight attendant, and as I made my way to the rear of the aircraft, I couldn't help but notice how premium heavy this plane is.

Finally in my seat, I was pleasantly surprised by the good leg room and the large comfortable seat. The economy section is fitted with 2+4+2, so one seat less than standard in width. Very nice for a guy like me at 6'3.

Boarding was soon completed, and we were welcomed onboard by the purser. As she had just started her announcement, we were pushed back from the stand. While the engines started up, the safety video was played. A short taxi to RWY 22R, and we were on our way to NRT. I must give credit to that runway at HEL. It is very smooth, and you can barely feel the plane is rolling down it fast.

The flight time would be 8 hours and 50 minutes, less than I had prepared for. Soon after having entered Russian airspace, the inflight service started. A hot towel was provided, and a pre-dinner snack was served. Shortly thereafter, dinner was served. As I had ordered a special meal, I was greeted by a very polite flight attendant. She handed it to me, and asked me what I wanted to drink. She then returned with the drink in less than a minute. A very nice experience as it was my first time ever on any long-haul flight that I did not have to wait for the drink. Take note other airlines! :) The dinner was very good, and relatively large. So far Japan Airlines really impressed me. During dinner, the flight attendants offered tea and coffee. Green tea was an absolute must for me, and it was impressively good.

Meals were cleared, and it was time to check out the IFE. The video screen was big, and the contents were extensive. A great range of movies, series, games, and the likes. The ear phones were of a surprisingly good quality, so no problems hearing what was said on the screen. The flight map was also very modern and had lots of nice details.

The cabin lights were soon dimmed, and most passengers went to sleep. I however could not, because I was fascinated by the scenery. Since we flew so far north, it never got dark outside, as the midnight sun is in full swing this time of year. It was fascinating to see the sun shining outside the dimmed windows on the other side of the cabin. Not far from Khabarovsk, we were joined by an Aeroflot A330-300 SkyTeam livery some flight levels below us. What a sight to behold so close to our own aircraft in cruise.

Soon after, breakfast was served. A hot towel was provided again. The meal was very good, and once again tea and coffee were served while we ate. Shortly after the meal was cleared we left Russian airspace and started our crossing over the Sea of Japan. The air was somewhat bumpy during this part of the flight, but it didn't take long before Sado Island and the city of Niigata appeared. Somewhere over the Japanese mountains, we started our descent.

The approach and landing was very smooth, except for the somewhat bumpy runway. We taxied to the gate, and some great sights of Narita was on behold. Disembarking went smoothly, and there were no lines at the border control. The border control area was probably the most unorganized place I experienced while in Japan. That says a lot about this magnificent country. My luggage was already on the carousel when I came downstairs from the border control area, and I made my way to NEX Narita Express. A very nice train ride to downtown Tokyo Station followed.

Overall, I was very surprised by the level of service onboard Japan Airlines. The leg-room was exquisite for economy, the seat was big and comfortable, and the flight attendants were the most polite I have ever experienced. The IFE and meals were of excellent quality. Japan Airlines exceeded my expectations, and they are BY FAR the best airline I have flown on a long-haul flight. They left me wanting for more. I will most definitely travel with this wonderful airline again!

Footage with highlights from the flight can be seen in the link below. :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvstPyxEp5A&t=873s

cedarjet

Re: Flying in the midnight sun with JAL from Finland to Japan

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:44 am

Finally a Dreamliner that's nice to fly on; the rest are too cramped

A350

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:37 am

Impressive films with impressive views od Siberia and Japan, it's a dream, Thank you very much! One question: did the crew use the function to centrally darken the windows and did you make your pictures and movies through a elctrochromatically darkend window?

Waterbomber

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:51 pm

I've flown this sector many many times and I can only confirm it. JAL is by far the best in economy long haul travel.
Having also flown them in Business Class, I can also say that they are also one of the best, far exceeding TK and QR.

Excellent catering, the best seats, clock-work operations, great FA's.
As long as JL isn't in the top 3 on Skytrax, that award has no credibility IMO

ILoveFigures
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:57 pm

A350 wrote:
Impressive films with impressive views od Siberia and Japan, it's a dream, Thank you very much! One question: did the crew use the function to centrally darken the windows and did you make your pictures and movies through a elctrochromatically darkend window?

No, the flight attendants didn't control it. Unless mine was somehow broken, because I played around with it a bit. Lol!

ILoveFigures
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:12 pm

Waterbomber wrote:
I've flown this sector many many times and I can only confirm it. JAL is by far the best in economy long haul travel.
Having also flown them in Business Class, I can also say that they are also one of the best, far exceeding TK and QR.

Excellent catering, the best seats, clock-work operations, great FA's.
As long as JL isn't in the top 3 on Skytrax, that award has no credibility IMO

I completely agree. TK is good, but JL exceeds them. The space in economy was simply amazing.

HELyes

Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks for the TR, it looks JAL truly have a civilized Y product!

Yes the Asia flights make HEL crowded at times, the terminal(s) is being expanded though, the first extension will be opened this month.

ILoveFigures
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:01 pm

HELyes wrote:
Thanks for the TR, it looks JAL truly have a civilized Y product!

Yes the Asia flights make HEL crowded at times, the terminal(s) is being expanded though, the first extension will be opened this month.

They truly do :)

It's nice to see HEL expanding.