Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bgboiflyer
Topic Author

Journey to China BOI-NNG Summer 2015, Alaska, Delta, and Shanghai...

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:05 pm

Hey Everyone, this my first time posting in the Forum, how's everyone doing.

So I've wanted to post this in the Forum for a long period of time but couldn't due to technical difficulties

But, I wanted to share finally now

So my family visits the Flourishing and booming city of Nanning in South China every other year

I'll apologize in advance for my poor image quality as this was taken on a $30USD phone that broke on the trip :mrgreen: and so the return should have better photos

So Let's recall this from my two year old memory

It's June 11th 2015 (and the Cavs and the Warriors are in finals for the first time :lol: )

And it's the usual at BOI, DL, SW, WN, and QX whatsoever

AS/QX 2337 SEA-BOI
MSN 4364 N447QX
Type DHC-8 402
First flight date Unknown
Test registration C-GTIK
Plane age 6.1 years
Seat: 9E
My Boarding Pass

Now we're headed down to the C gates downstairs from check-in
N408QX outbound to PDX

Our Gate C1, with no festivities and the light actions there

There's our bird, N447QX!

Boarding smoothly commenced at 11:10 and off we are to the Q400

31 inches or 79 cm with no recline, Not Bad for 1 hour
Food options for the day, no issues whatsoever for an hour long flight
Safety Card

We then pushed back on time at 11:35 and had a very long 5-10 minute taxi before the usual takeoff roll

Beautiful Northwest Idaho

Around 20ish minutes in we had a complimentary service of snacks and drinks
AS Snack Mix and Seagram's Ginger Ale

ImageImage
Mt Rainier Hopefully for you guys

After that point we slowly began descending into SEA

Space Needle at Seattle Center

Our captain oddly didn't lower the gear until around 2 minutes before touchdown and so I was a bit worried as we were edging runway 16R

We touched down at 12:05 in Seattle, a bit later than the planned arrival with an odd PA by the flight attendant boasting AS was leading in on time arrivals in the world (which they probably rigged the arrival time midflight :lol:)

So long, N447QX!

Now we needed lunch so we grabbed some at the food court shortly
Beautiful Departures Board at SEA, sadly you can't see our flight at Gate A12

We were a bit shocked our Gate was pretty far away rather than at the S Gates as the International Flights like this one inbound from HKG needed clearance, but had to be moved to another gate to avoid congestion

DL589 SEA-PVG
MSN 609 N851NW
Type 330-223
First flight date 08/06/2004
Test registration F-WWYZ
Plane age 13 years
Seat: 30G
Here's our bird for the long one, an A332, N851NW

By the time we got there the boarding had commenced, so we switched our boarding passes so that we would know what zone we were in as AS's didn't tell us

Yay for old style BP's!

My seat, unfortunately, was 30G which Seatguru said it was yellow since people and carts would bump into it, which hopefully for me would mean being woken up at services if I fell asleep but that wasn't the case as I only got hit once and I could not fall asleep

My "comfy" haven for the next 12 hours, with again 31 inches/79cm of legroom and barely much recline

The captain welcomed us onboard the flight and then selected announcements were made in Mandarin and Cantonese, which I could understand

What seemed odd where the windows which were pretty much closed the entire flight and no menus and only earplugs (sleep kit) were passed out

We pushed back at 14:29 and had a very oddlong 20+ minute taxi and until finally liftoff at around 14:55

Small nosh around 20 minutes in

The IFE with DL's nice data display for us

Around 30 minutes after the first service we were then served a hot meal, with a choice of pork or beef(?)

The tray of food

Pork with Rice and Beans

The food was alright, but surprisingly I braved it through as I can survive the school's cafeteria food

So I then tried to fall asleep for the next few hours but it couldn't pass through

Favorite DL game

Plenty of water bottles onboard

Midway through a snack was served of a ham and cheese sandwich with mayo and Milano cookies, with water and green tea available

Green Tea

The Most Exotic Marigold Grand Hotel (either one is shown as I watched both)

Pre Arrival we were served an egg and cheese sesame bagel, some Greek Yogurt and a KitKat

We then were on our way to PVG's Runway 16R with a sight of fisherman boats and touching down lightly at 18:31 on June 12th

Once we were at our gate, we were off the A332 mark at our gate and so we had to sit back down so the plane would move a meter

Once we disembarked, we had go through Immigration control and had to check back in for our next flight on FM, Shanghai Airlines

FM9383 PVG-NNG
MSN 35777 B-5260
Type 737-76D
First flight date 09/09/2009
Test registration
Plane age 7.8 years
Seat 4J(?)

Off we were to our red-eye flight to Nanning (NNG)

Terminal 1 looks really nice but still is miles behind Terminal 2, where our flights left last time

Interesting looks at T1 Domestic Side

And again our flights were delayed, this time well over 30 minutes, and many of the flights listed afterwards were called before ours, and finally at 21:45 they called out our
flight

I was hoping that the flight would be practically empty so we could ride in F, but the opposite turned out at gate 254

Off the bus went to our jet, a slightly old looking 73G

B-5260

It seemed odd that everyone was taking photos like they were flying the first time

Hey! N851NW again!

This time the seat was way more comfortable with maybe just an 1 inch or 3cm more legroom

Ancient music controls

Overhead TV

I was a bit worried about the safety as everyone was on their phones nearly after the cabin door closed until a stern officer walked up pretty much every row speaking firmly to tell us to turn off phones and I told him in Mandarin it was on Airplane Mode and didn't accept it, but still I secretly used it during the flight and I didn't get into any trouble.

Some TV show or something like that

I stayed awake for most of the flight hoping for a meal except it was just a drink service with water, juice and soft drinks

I fell asleep for 10 minutes until the lights were turned back on for landing

We landed at 1:10 in NNG to the light of the new terminal finished in Late 2014 in time for the Gymnastics World Championships held here

The Terminal was shiny and very stunning all around with a hint of PVG's T2

And then we were met by our relatives and drove to our stay near downtown, which took nearly 2 hours and still it was very packed even this wee early in the morning

And that's the end of my journey to there back in 2015

I will welcome any comments, criticism and praise

-bgboiflyer