Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nelsony
Topic Author

Mini RTW Part 1 Cathay Pacific business class Manila to Hong Kong

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:05 am

Over a year ago I went on a Round the World trip in First Class with the One World alliance.
I had taken many photos on my Samsung S6 which I locked using thumbprint, but in the middle of my trip, my thumbprint was no longer recognised and I had to reset my phone, so I lost everything because I didn’t have a back up.
So I lost interest in writing a review for my RTW, but now I have changed my mind since looking at the pictures I took after my phone was reset, I decided that I had plenty of content.

My itinerary will be missing three legs.
- Melbourne to Sydney flying Qantas business (lost)
- Sydney to Manila flying Qantas business (lost)
- Manila to Hong Kong with Cathay business <<< You are here
- Hong Kong to Tokyo Haneda with Cathay 747 first class (lost)
- Tokyo to New York with Japan Airlines first class
- New York to London with British Airways first class
- London to Melbourne with Qantas first class

Here it goes!

Manila to Hong Kong
December 19 2015
Cathay Pacific CX906
11:00 - 1:20PM
777-300 Business Class
Seat 12G

This is a relatively short flight, just over 2 hours.

Airport & Lounge
Manila International Airport was a relatively painless experience, with added security screening outside before you are permitted in the terminal.

The Cathay Pacific check-in desk was not busy and I received my boarding passes and First Class lounge entry invitation for Hong Kong.

I made my way to the lounge, which is local on the first level. At the time, the Cathay Pacific Manila lounge was less than six months old, it was one of the new lounges being rolled out by CX around the world.

I was really impressed with the lounge, there were plenty of chairs, great views facing the runway, a bar staffed all the time with at least 1 bartender, and miniature noodle/dumpling kitchen.

I arrived 3 hours early, so had plenty of time to settle down. I select a seat in one of the booths near the kitchen, and went to order some freshly made wonton soup and dumplings.

The kitchen menu had these options:
Hong Kong style wonton noodle soup
Congee with steamed chicken and egg
Corned beef with garlic rice
Pancake with fruits
Vegetable dumpling
BBQ pork bun
Pork siu mai
Shrimp dumpling (hakaw)

The prawn dumplings and wonton soup were amazing, so I ended up going back and ordering twice and had 3 serves!

The PA system said our flight has been delayed 40 minutes, so after I was full, I walked over to the bar to take a look at the cocktail menu. It was a very comprehensive offering and I tested two cocktails. When I ordered my first cocktail, I stood around and the bartender looked at me puzzle “I will bring it over to you sir”.
I said she didn’t have to do that and I was happy to wait, but she insisted on bringing it over to my seat.

So I walked back to the booth and a minute later she found me!

First cocktail I ordered the Melon Fizz. It wasn’t to my taste, way too sweet. After trying my best to finish it, and I couldn’t I took it back to the bar. The bartender saw the unfinished cocktail and she came back to my booth and insisted I try something I might like, so I ordered the Mojito.

Super size Mojito! And so good! As I was sipping my mojito, I notice our plane had landed.

There she is, fashionable late!

Onboard
This is only a 2 hours flight, I managed to book on the internationally configured CX business class, not the regional class seats.

I didn’t take too many photos of the seat since everybody has seeing the CX seat a million times.

Boarding was very quick, I managed to select seats in the forward small business cabin with only eight seats, just behind first class cabin.

Only juice and water were offered during boarding, but I declined.

For this short flight, Cathay offered only two main course choices and I picked the Hunanese spicy chicken dish.

Even though I was full from the lounge the chicken disk was really tasty, so I finished it. The dessert just average.

The flight was smooth and uneventful. Cabin crew were good, they were attentive and wine was offered with lunch but I declined. They cleared my plates within minutes after I finished my meal and asked me if I needed anything else, but for a short two hour flight I didn’t need anything.

I reclined by seat into relax mode and watched a few TV shows.

ba319-131

Re: Mini RTW Part 1 Cathay Pacific business class Manila to Hong Kong

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Nice read and pictures, thanks for sharing.

The lounge @ MNL looks good.

Cheers

BA319-131

nelsony
Topic Author

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:18 am

ba319-131 wrote:
Nice read and pictures, thanks for sharing.

The lounge @ MNL looks good.

Cheers

BA319-131

Thanks for reading.
Yes indeed, it is a great lounge.
It was surprising when you consider this isn't their home port.
I wish CX would upgrade their Melbourne airport lounge, which is terrible!

TravelR

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:41 am

Great lounge review and trip report...interesting reading and keep up the good work!