Carfield
Topic Author

Southwest's Cincinnati Inaugural June 2017

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:38 pm

Southwest’s Cincinnati Inaugural June 4, 2017

Link to full album:
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Carfi ... GInaugural

My travel month in June began with another inaugural flight. Southwest began services to Cincinnati on June 4, 2017. Cincinnati has been a pretty expensive market, and the airport authority really hopes that Southwest can bring their signature “low fare” effects to the market that is dominated by Delta. Frontier Airlines has already started service to Cincinnati and I noticed a few F9 Airbuses during my short stay here at CVG. But getting a major airline like Southwest to fly into Cincinnati International Airport is a big deal, and the airport is indeed filled with signs that day. I am sure they will stay for a while. Southwest will occupy A3 and A5 for now, and there is plenty of room to expand. I observed plenty of first time Southwest travelers, as they need help with the boarding system and am surprised that you can check in two free bags. I firmly believe that that carry on problems are less obnoxious on Southwest because many people will actually check their bags if they can. Plus, Southwest is pretty good with baggage delivery time too.

For this trip report, there are just going to be mostly photos, since Southwest Airlines’ service is pretty straight forward. Both flights feature a full beverage service with honey roasted peanuts and pretzels.

Here are the flight data:
WN 2120 Chicago Midway to Cincinnati Lv0630 Arr0935 Boeing 737-700 Winglet N770QC
Takeoff from R/W22L at 6:33am
Arrive at R/W18L at 8:14am
Flying time: forty-one minutes with a cruising altitude of 23,000ft

WN 651 Cincinnati to Baltimore Lv1040 Arr1200 Boeing 737-700 Winglet N926WN
Takeoff from R/W18L at 10:51am
Arrive on R/W10 at 11:57am
Flying time: an hour and six minutes with a cruising altitude of 33,000ft

Chicago Midway:
Extremely busy morning with lots of families heading to holidays
It took me a while to get my boarding pass and drop off my bag. I really think Southwest should separate international flights from domestic flights. In Chicago Midway, they did not have separate area for international and domestic lights, so sometimes the queue would move slowly if the F/As need to do document checks.

Our flight would depart from gate A19, which was a pretty quiet part of the terminal. There was no special celebration here but a group of local children, who were doing some performance on arrival, was onboard this flight including many first-time fliers. There were some Southwest staffs discussing the new flights, and they were all discussing the signage. It shows “Covington” not “Cincinnati.”

N926WN

I did a bit of plane-spotting
This 737 heading to LA

Soon, Southwest F/As made a few P/As announcing the inaugural flights, and one of the special agents went around to pass out some gifts. They also did a trivial quiz show and passed out some $25 travel vouchers.

Assorted gifts

Décor on the plane

New cabin

My seat 12F

Whistle and baggage tag

Orange juice and peanuts

Obligatory winglet shot

Landed at CVG

Water salute canon

Welcome party here at CVG

Gates – A3

Cake

Check in area at CVG

They only had two staffs dealing with check-in. They needed more staffs for sure.

Swift Air 737

A3/5

Another water canon salute for the inaugural flight from Cincinnati to Chicago Midway

Ribbon cutting for my second flight – Inaugural Cincinnati to Baltimore, MD

One of the gifts – personalized baggage tag for passengers, staffs and guests

N926WN arriving from BWI

Ribbon cutting ceremony including both cockpit and cabin crews and important guests

Boarding time:

Volunteers handing out gift

CVG

Celebratory crews

Cabin – previous generation

Gift:

Departing Cincinnati

More snacks

Landing

I was much relieved when I saw the celebration at Cincinnati and there were cakes, pastries, and bottled waters and juices along with coffee. There were lots of staffs celebrating the inaugural into CVG. The gifts were very good especially the battery charger and the personalized baggage claim. It may actually give me some ideas on how to book my tickets on future Southwest’s inaugural flights.

One of the highlights of the cabin service on this set of flights was a conversation between my seatmate and F/A. My seatmate arrived rather late and shared her issues at TSA with the F/A, who was sympathetic and understanding. Later mid-flight, the same passenger asked the F/A for more peanuts if it was not too much hassles. She told her that she did not get a chance in buying food because of the holdup at TSA. The F/A not only brought her more peanuts or also some substantial snacks they typically handed out on longer flights. She even asked her if she needed more beverage. I am impressed.

In conclusion, it is a great inaugural flight and congrats Southwest on the Cincinnati’s service. I think it have potentials to be successful.

Enjoy!
Carfield

Chemist

Re: Southwest's Cincinnati Inaugural June 2017

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:45 pm

Pretty good for a "low fare" airline! And better than many majors. This is why I tend to fly Southwest when I need reliable basic transportation and good service.

11725Flyer

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:27 pm

Once upon a time, I predicted that Southwest would ultimately serve CVG. I was roundly criticized. So, it's great to see your trip report and associated commentary. Thanks for posting some great pictures!

cvgComair

Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:05 am

Great trip report and awesome photos! I unfortunately missed the event as I had to fly out of CVG on June 3 :banghead:, I can't wait to go take photos of the WN planes at CVG! It will be interesting to see how WN does at CVG. I know I will be staying loyal to DL because I need their Asia network and they still have a great operation out of Cincinnati. However, I think they will be good for travelers who do not want to take Allegiant or Frontier, but they have a lot of catching up to do since both carriers operate 17 destinations from CVG. Thanks so much for this trip report though!!!
Next: CVG-CDG-ATH (Delta Air Lines B767-300ER, Air France A319)
A319/320/332, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340

dcajet

Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:17 am

Good to see WN expand into CVG. And you being there to share it with us.

Nit pick: you may want to revise the N- number of your first flight. N770QC does not exist, perhaps N777QC?

Rds,
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

rockyracoon

Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks for the post, I really enjoyed reading the report.
Airports: CVG PIT MWO PHL PHX ORD DCA MIA TPA MCO ATL DTW DFW SJC LAX DEN SLC LAS HNL LIH OGG YVR MUC ICN NRT PVG SHA SZX MNL PPS CRK BKK DMK KBV EOH MDE CLO CTG SMR BOG ACD MEX CUN MID AUA

mke717spotter

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:18 pm

Nice trip report and pictures. I was considering flying on the inaugural Volaris flight from MKE, just to experience the pomp and festivities of a first flight, but I just never got around to it.

Carfield wrote:
There were some Southwest staffs discussing the new flights, and they were all discussing the signage. It shows “Covington” not “Cincinnati.”

That is a little strange!
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

dcajet

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:56 am

That is because CVG is actually not in Cincinnati, OH but in Covington, KY. Maybe that monitor was pulling the info from some db.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Cvgspotter15

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:53 am

I'll send a link to the YouTube video I'm editing from my experience on the flight soon as well.

aeromoe

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:37 pm

Cool report.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

cincydavid

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:45 pm

It's great to see more options at CVG...great livery on those WN planes coming over my house on approach.

11725Flyer

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:49 pm

I was glad to see this trip report, as I was a regular DL flyer in 1999-2000, when DL was a major presence at CVG. It looks like it was a very successful first day for WN; thanks for posting all the great pictures.

I noticed all the parked airplanes as you departed CVG. Any idea who they belonged to?

cvgComair

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:18 am

11725Flyer wrote:
I noticed all the parked airplanes as you departed CVG. Any idea who they belonged to?

Those are DHL and Amazon Prime Air cargo planes, both carriers have hubs at Cincinnati.
Next: CVG-CDG-ATH (Delta Air Lines B767-300ER, Air France A319)
A319/320/332, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340

11725Flyer

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:04 am

cvgComair wrote:
11725Flyer wrote:

Those are DHL and Amazon Prime Air cargo planes, both carriers have hubs at Cincinnati.

Thanks!

TheGeordielad

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:05 pm

Great trip report

OzarkD9S

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:02 pm

I want of pair of those sunglasses!
Next Up: STL-MIA-GCM-MIA-STL. Fun in the December sun! :santahat:

SkyVoice

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:35 am

Carfield, Outstanding report & pics! I'm just sorry that CVG's former media spokesperson, the late, great Ted Bushelman, was not here to see this day in person. Ted Bushelman was sure that Southwest would eventually begin serving CVG twenty years before it actually happened, even when the Delta-Comair hub was at its peak and any low-fare competition (Vanguard [twice!], the original AirTran, Midway, Presidential, the original People Express, etc.) was squeezed out and priced out. I'd like to think that Ted Bushelman, with his pencil-thin mustache, is looking on & smiling!