Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hirofumi
Topic Author

Authentic Japanese Meals on JAL Biz+First: DEL-NRT-CGK

Tue May 23, 2017 6:15 am

In this report, I'll only write about excellent meals I've had onboard Japan Airlines. Back in January 2017 I flew JAL Business Class for Delhi to Narita and then JAL First Class from Narita to Jakarta. On both the flights I chose the Japanese option for all four meals, namely dinner and breakfast on DEL-NRT and lunch and snack on NRT-CGK.

As a Japanese I may be quite biased in my opinion having used to growing up with seafood and soy sauce based food - so just a warning, they may not be everyone's cup of tea!

<JAL Business Class>
Flight Number: JL 740
Sector: Delhi to Narita
Date: 12/January/2017
Scheduled Block Time: 7hrs 20mins
Actual Flight Duration: 6hrs 21mins

On this flight, two meals are served: dinner after takeoff and breakfast before landing. Only the dinner is the major meal with hot main dish. The breakfast is served cold except for miso-soup.

Starts with after-takeoff drink. No welcome drink was served on this flight and I was quite thirsty for the first 45mins into the flight (yes, the service wasn't the fastest despite of many empty seats in the cabin).

I ordered plum wine (umeshu) with soda and ice and JAL's original drink called "Skytime" which is kiwi-based juice. Skytime is a good thirst quencher as it kind of tastes like Gatorade with a hint of kiwi. The drinks come along with dried fermented soya beans (natto) and some rice crackers. To keep my stomach ready for the dinner I didn't open the snacks.

After-takeoff drink service

Plum wine, Skytime, dried natto and rice cracker packages.

For the dinner, there were three choices.

<Choice 1> Full course Japanese meal with teriyaki chicken as the main dish
<Choice 2> Grilled Japanese beef steak with mushroom sauce (Western)
<Choice 3> Seafood cannelloni (Western)

Japanese choice looked much more appetizing.

*Dinner*
Appetizers plate

Appetizers up close

Beef sirloin roll with "kujo" leek

Grilled taro with Japanese pepper flavored duck; skewered sweet black beans

Shrimp dressed with tofu sauce (shrimp is hidden inside)

Scallop flavored with pickled plum and wasabi

Grilled flounder with Welsh onion miso; simmered cod roe rolled with kelp; grilled Japanese millet cake with miso; vinegared Japanese ginger

Oh man - the presentation is sublime. It was so perfect that I felt a bit guilty touching any of the plate :o

Each appetizer dish also tasted fresh - considering they've been carried from outbound flight, it's quite surprising how they've kept the quality up.

The next is the main - chicken teriyaki.

In between I decided to have a glass of sake: Hakurakusei from Miyagi Prefecture. Here is what the menu says:

Festive aromas evoking ripe citrus. The velvety and continuously evolving texture of your first sip. Enjoy the flavor! Tender sweetness deliciously balanced with acidity offer your palate a juicy yet dry expression.

Please forgive their English expression...

Hakurakusei (Junmai Daiginjo)

The main

The teriyaki chicken came with fresh steamed Koshihikari rice, miso soup, and Japanese pickles. Note that both JAL and ANA have specialized rice cooker on planes and the fresh steamed rice is available only in First and Business Class.

Teriyaki chicken

The chicken was tender and quite good. It was quite a large portion too.

Dessert is pretty much the standard fare. It was the same as the Western options - a seasonal fruit tart. Had with herbal tea and sparkling water.

Dessert

Fruit tart

The meal actually took quite some time - by the time dinner was done it was almost 3hrs after take-off. Since it was only a 6+hr flight a quicker meal service would have been much appreciated.

Near the galley, a small self-service bar was made where snacks, pralines, and drinks were available.

Self serving bar

About an hour and a half before landing, a breakfast was served. The choice was either Japanese rice balls (onigiri) or Western muffins. I chose the former.

Breakfast plate

The green drink is the iced green tea.

Inside the black bento box, there was grilled fish, some seaweed, and an egg roll.

Inside bento box

Miso soup with fried bean curd

Spicy cod roe (mentaiko) onigiri

Seaweed and sesame onigiri

Freshly brewed coffee from "JAL Cafe Lines"

I was really impressed by the quality of meal. I'm not sure how the Western option would have been like but I can confirm that Japanese choice is no regret.

<JAL First Class>
Flight Number: JL 725
Sector: Narita to Jakarta
Date: 15/January/2017
Scheduled Block Time: 8hrs 00mins
Actual Flight Duration: 7hrs 25mins

Meal and beverage on JAL First Class are one notch above. Most alcoholic beverages cost USD 100+ a bottle, while food is so meticulous and detailed beyond already excellent Business Class meal.

Will start with after-takeoff drink. JAL serves Salon 2006 for champagne which I believe is the only airline to serve this brand. Note that Salon will not be available before takeoff - instead the crew would serve more economical champagne brand or juice.

Salon 2006

With the bottle

Amuse

Amuse-bouche consisted of liver pate on choux dough, a ham stick and a salmon stick. I can't stand livers so I left that one out.

JAL logo

Amuse up close

For the second glass, I tried another champagne - Henriot Cuvee des Enchanteleurs 2000. It has pear and honey aroma which I preferred over more-expensive Salon.

Henriot champagne

With the bottle

Champagne tasting - Salon to the left, and Henriot to the right

Now time for lunch set-up. Without a doubt I chose Japanese option since it would have wagyu (beef) as the main. What I like about wagyu is it literally melts on mouth.

Lunch set-up

I've decided to have sake for the drink: Jyuyondai. According to the menu, "This brand originates from the brewery's current 14th generation president".

Jyuyondai sake

JAL First Class napkin

The first course starts with appetizer plates. There are 5 plates, 2 of which were served warm.

Appetizers

Egg roll

A crew member explained that this egg roll is made with maple syrup instead of normal sugar. The Japanese flag symbolizes the pride in traditional culinary by Chef Seiji Yamamoto, from Ryugin restaurant in Roppongi area of Tokyo.

Warm appetizer: Stewed "Bimeiton" pork

Spanish mackerel & turnip dressed with Welsh onion flavored oil

Herring roe and poached winter vegetables

Sea urchin and "Yubatama tofu" with cold starch sauce

So this "Bimeiton" pork - it's a special kind of pork with SPF (Specific Pathogen Free) certified and pigs are fed with natural ingredients. It prides in softness of the meat yet maintaining juiciness and sweet taste in its fat.

The next in course is owan - or soup.

Owan course

Japanese soup with steamed prawn cake and grated turnip

Note that the real gold flakes are sprinkled on top!

By this time with all the champagne and sake I was quite drank - and to give more punch, I had stronger Japanese alcoholic beverage called "shochu", which is distilled alcohol which could be made from rice, sweet-potatoes, buckwheat, and barley etc. JAL First serves very limited produced top quality shochu called "Mori Izo", made from sweet potatoes of Kagoshima Prefecture in Kyushu Island. This is a famous shochu brand yet not easy to find in retail.

Mori Izo

Next in the course is seafood platter (still not the main yet).

Seafood platter

"Matsuba" snow crab with black vinegar jelly

Caviar!

Kelp flavored scallop and northern shrimp

The crab meat

The crew said this caviar is substitution for soy sauce, to pour it over the shrimp. That was quite funny - I never knew caviar could be soy sauce's substitution! Apparently they are both salty, so perhaps that why.

Caviar on shrimp

Now comes the main dish! The main is wagyu beef fillet sukiyaki - it's a sweetened soy sauce soup based dish. Usually we make it as hotpot at home.

The main tray

The beef!

It's really soft!

Japanese pickles

Half cooked egg

In sukiyaki the beef is mixed with the egg to give taste.

Steamed rice with Japanese pepper flavored young sardines

After having too much alcoholic beverages I've decided to have a glass of Royal Blue Tea - made from the finest hand-picked tea leaves. It's served like a wine bottle. Served chilled and unsweetened.

Royal Blue Tea

Personally I didn't find much difference with iced Darjeeling tea I make at home - but supposedly it's a luxury drink in Japan.

The last of the course is dessert.

Dessert

Wasanbon and Japanese pepper flavored Satsuma orange compote jelly with Wasanbon caramel ice cream

So basically, the white stuff is rice puff and below that there is orange jelly and caramel ice cream. While the concept is unique the pepper didn't go well with sweetness. The pepper is called "sansho" and often times used in Chinese food too, and a bit spicy as well. Not sure if this was a successfully created dish. Nevertheless, the idea was interesting.

Ryugin's specialty - Japanese style baked pistachio cake

This was quite good, albeit a bit small in size.

Roppongi Pudding

This pudding is a simple egg custard but from a quality brand.

Dessert plate again

Green tea with oshibori

Now, sumptuous and gorgeous lunch was over.

The next meal - a snack before landing.

I chose udon noodles with edible wild plants, along with fresh fruits and one of the dessert options in Western lunch menu - Tosa pomelo with coconut sorbet.

For the drink, I chose Kusuda Martinborough Syrah 2014 from New Zealand. This again is a very limited production and supposedly not easily purchasable in market.

Kusuda wine

Udon noodles with edible wild plants

Udon noodles up close

Fresh fruits

Coconut sorbet - again, gold flakes!

Coconut sorbet with pomelo jelly

Just before landing, the crew distributed a box of Jean-Paul Hevin macarons.

Macarons box

Macarons

That concludes my report. The food quality on JAL Business and First is top notch, and if anyone is fine with raw seafood and soy-sauced based food I'd highly recommend to try Japanese options! I've tried Japanese meals on other airlines but so far not to the level of Japanese carriers (I'm sure ANA is great too).

AirAfreak

Re: Authentic Japanese Meals on JAL Biz+First: DEL-NRT-CGK

Tue May 23, 2017 8:04 am

Wow! Hi! Thanks so much for sharing! I'm so happy you chose the Japanese Options on both sectors! I always choose and/or pre-order the Japanese Selection on any flight where available. I should also mention, KLM offers an upgraded dining a-la-carte service to most KLM long-haul destinations on departure from Amsterdam. I once chose the "Japanese Delight" option for my Amsterdam-Dulles flight and thoroughly enjoyed it! And multiple times, I've always pre-ordered the Japanese Meal on my Delta flights to/from Narita; always very happy!

I can never understand how some people (except those with shellfish allergies, etc.,) choose the Western Option when flying Asian Carriers to/from Asia! It's like a Westerner flying to Korea but only dining at places serving pizza and pasta; I can't understand the narrowness of this mindset. Isn't the point of visiting a foreign land is to experience something new/exotic/different?! I always sigh when I read trip reports and see the chosen meal choice being the Western option on flights to Asia. Meh.

But anyway, rant over. Thanks again for taking the time to share this delightful and exquisite meal presentation! Japan Airlines clearly displays thoughtful touches throughout the meal service. Bravo!

jetwet1

Tue May 23, 2017 5:54 pm

Holy smokes, what a fantastic set of meals, I am jealous.

AirAfreak wrote:

I can never understand how some people (except those with shellfish allergies, etc.,) choose the Western Option when flying Asian Carriers to/from Asia!

For some folks, well they have to be eased into this culinary experience, until a few years ago, I was certainly in that group, it took the lady I was dating at the time using her charms to talk me into trying some dishes.

When you've been raised to think that Benihana is authentic Japanese food, pepper flavored young sardines sounds daunting...but yes, in general I agree with you.

ComfortablyNumb

Tue May 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Amazing! I recently flew SYD-HND / NRT-JFK in ANA Business Class and I had high hopes for the catering. I ordered from the Japanese menu on both flights and was very disappointed.

dcajet

Wed May 24, 2017 3:11 am

AirAfreak wrote:
I can never understand how some people (except those with shellfish allergies, etc.,) choose the Western Option when flying Asian Carriers to/from Asia! It's like a Westerner flying to Korea but only dining at places serving pizza and pasta; I can't understand the narrowness of this mindset. Isn't the point of visiting a foreign land is to experience something new/exotic/different?! I always sigh when I read trip reports and see the chosen meal choice being the Western option on flights to Asia. Meh.

It cuts both ways. The Japanese, when traveling abroad, are known for their preference for familiar settings, availability of Japanese food, etc. And plenty of other Asians that prefer stick to, if possible, to what's familiar to them. It is human nature. That's all.

hirofumi
Topic Author

Wed May 24, 2017 5:40 am

AirAfreak wrote:
Wow! Hi! Thanks so much for sharing! I'm so happy you chose the Japanese Options on both sectors! I always choose and/or pre-order the Japanese Selection on any flight where available. I should also mention, KLM offers an upgraded dining a-la-carte service to most KLM long-haul destinations on departure from Amsterdam. I once chose the "Japanese Delight" option for my Amsterdam-Dulles flight and thoroughly enjoyed it! And multiple times, I've always pre-ordered the Japanese Meal on my Delta flights to/from Narita; always very happy!

But anyway, rant over. Thanks again for taking the time to share this delightful and exquisite meal presentation! Japan Airlines clearly displays thoughtful touches throughout the meal service. Bravo!

Hi AirAfreak, I believe KLM ties up with Michelin 3-star rated Japanese restaurant in Amsterdam so I'm sure they serve a great meal. I had their Japanese choice in Economy (before a la carte menu was introduced) on Japan-Amsterdam and I too enjoyed it very much. Delta also seems to offer quite authentic Japanese meal with proper crockery too, at least in Business Class.

I agree with your point about missing something when not choosing a local dish from where the airline is based in. For example when I fly a Middle Eastern carrier I prefer to order Arabic cuisine, where as for Austrian I would prefer schnitzel, just as in Korean Air I'd always go for bibimbap.

Thanks for your comment and opinion.

jetwet1 wrote:
Holy smokes, what a fantastic set of meals, I am jealous.

AirAfreak wrote:
I can never understand how some people (except those with shellfish allergies, etc.,) choose the Western Option when flying Asian Carriers to/from Asia!

For some folks, well they have to be eased into this culinary experience, until a few years ago, I was certainly in that group, it took the lady I was dating at the time using her charms to talk me into trying some dishes.

When you've been raised to think that Benihana is authentic Japanese food, pepper flavored young sardines sounds daunting...but yes, in general I agree with you.

Haha Benihana is not bad actually, but you do get more varieties in the authentic meal.

ComfortablyNumb wrote:
Amazing! I recently flew SYD-HND / NRT-JFK in ANA Business Class and I had high hopes for the catering. I ordered from the Japanese menu on both flights and was very disappointed.

I think ANA is catered more towards Western/international clients. I also felt their Japanese meal wasn't too fantastic when I flew PEK-KIX in Business Class once. Now I plan to fly their F in July but after checking their menu available on ANA website, Western options are much more attractive.

dcajet wrote:
AirAfreak wrote:

It cuts both ways. The Japanese, when traveling abroad, are known for their preference for familiar settings, availability of Japanese food, etc. And plenty of other Asians that prefer stick to, if possible, to what's familiar to them. It is human nature. That's all.

True in most cases, but just to add that Japanese food culture has a good mix of Japanese, Chinese and Western (albeit the latter two have been Japan-ized) so we are quite open to international cuisines. But, I must admit we do tend to become creative and produce weird dishes :-)

WingsFan

Wed May 24, 2017 2:12 pm

What is this? A trip report or some publicity shots of an upscale restaurant ? Freaking awesome! Thanks for sharing.

wingman

Wed May 24, 2017 6:28 pm

I try to imagine a US airline exec telling the inflight staff they'll need to present cuisine in this fashion in order to compete and all I can see is exploding heads. Simply off the hook man.

hirofumi
Topic Author

Thu May 25, 2017 7:28 am

I realized there was a photo misplacement for the caption that says "Caviar on shrimp". Here is the correct photo.

WingsFan wrote:
What is this? A trip report or some publicity shots of an upscale restaurant ? Freaking awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Indeed it did feel like I was sitting in a traditional fine dining inn (called ryotei)! Thanks for the comment.

wingman wrote:
I try to imagine a US airline exec telling the inflight staff they'll need to present cuisine in this fashion in order to compete and all I can see is exploding heads. Simply off the hook man.

I see US airline is greatly improving in First and Business service. Now that there is awesome looking Polaris lounge, I see why not they can offer the same level of quality in their onboard meals on transpacific flights. One day!

PPVLC

Fri May 26, 2017 1:48 pm

That's amazing, thank you for sharing, you made me really hungry now

hirofumi
Topic Author

Fri May 26, 2017 7:12 pm

PPVLC wrote:
That's amazing, thank you for sharing, you made me really hungry now

Glad you enjoyed the review, thanks for reading :smile:

skeky

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:33 am

Im surprised they had beef dishes on offer on a flight originating in India.

MANMatthew

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:25 pm

I think this is the most comprehensive and meticulous menu I've ever seen on an airline. JAL really are top notch.

hirofumi
Topic Author

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:31 pm

skeky wrote:

JAL are mainly used by Japanese businessmen and the airline knows they are dying to eat beef after almost being abstained :-) Simply customer preference.

MANMatthew wrote:
I think this is the most comprehensive and meticulous menu I've ever seen on an airline. JAL really are top notch.

I believe so too. JAL really put so much effort on food & beverage which really set apart from the rivals.

skeky

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:16 pm

skeky wrote:
hirofumi wrote:
skeky wrote:

JAL are mainly used by Japanese businessmen and the airline knows they are dying to eat beef after almost being abstained :-) Simply customer preference.

Im just curious if the beef is sourced from India or if JAL flies in their ingredients. Is the airline popular with Indians traveling abroad? Or maybe the strict vegetarian passengers booked a special meal?

Is it possible that JAL loads the meals for the DEL-NRT route in NRT?

SQueeze

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:22 am

Spectacular meals!

I always go for Japanese selection as well to and from Japan. I had one which was like the meal of my life on SQ F the other time. SQ's menu is crafted by Chef Murata of Kikunoi

That time it was the season for shirako (fish sperm sacs) and yes, it was not for the un-adventurous, :D

hirofumi
Topic Author

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:23 pm

skeky wrote:
Im just curious if the beef is sourced from India or if JAL flies in their ingredients. Is the airline popular with Indians traveling abroad? Or maybe the strict vegetarian passengers booked a special meal?

Is it possible that JAL loads the meals for the DEL-NRT route in NRT?

The beef dish as well as all Japanese meals served in Business are catered in Narita. Only other Western option, dessert, and Economy meals are catered in Delhi. Not sure how popular the airline is for Indians but many use them to fly to North America. Both in Business and Economy they don't serve anything Indian so one must pre-book AVML and the like.

SQueeze wrote:
Spectacular meals!

I always go for Japanese selection as well to and from Japan. I had one which was like the meal of my life on SQ F the other time. SQ's menu is crafted by Chef Murata of Kikunoi

That time it was the season for shirako (fish sperm sacs) and yes, it was not for the un-adventurous, :D

Yes, SQ Japanese meals also look spectacular especially in First! Unfortunately I have very limited opportunity to fly Singapore Business or First since they don't accept redeemed ticket issued by frequent flyer program other than their own especially on their A350/B777/A380s. It'll be a dream to try out their F!

Ugh, shirako is not something I like - but it seems SQ really do try to make them authentic :-)

injian

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:43 pm

OMG the amount of food porn is amazing. Thanks for sharing! :)

hirofumi
Topic Author

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:38 pm

injian wrote:
OMG the amount of food porn is amazing. Thanks for sharing! :)

Glad you enjoyed it!

eamondzhang

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:37 am

Thanks for the great food (uh, no, trip ;) ) report. Absolutely stunning with your food experience flying JAL. The once when I tried JAL's CGK-NRT in C I was greatly disappointed with the oversalted and overfried food that they presented, and with a 10pm departure they let you wait for one hour only to serve you with a couple pieces of sushi (not even sashimi)! Given the short-ish (6hr) flight it's absolutely ridiculous IMHO.

hirofumi wrote:
ComfortablyNumb wrote:

I think ANA is catered more towards Western/international clients. I also felt their Japanese meal wasn't too fantastic when I flew PEK-KIX in Business Class once. Now I plan to fly their F in July but after checking their menu available on ANA website, Western options are much more attractive.

A friend of mine, who's an ANA cabin manager, once told me that Japanese food are better on flights departing from Japan while flights from outstations are better with Western ones. You can also mix-n-match with whatever you want to eat on the menu (on long haul flights; never tried on short haul). I've done steaks combining with rice, sushi & Japanese dishes :lol: I found these tips helpful when flying with them, maybe you can give it a go next time? But my experience with ANA gives a much better food quality than JAL overall.

Cheers
Michael

hirofumi
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:21 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Thanks for the great food (uh, no, trip ;) ) report. Absolutely stunning with your food experience flying JAL. The once when I tried JAL's CGK-NRT in C I was greatly disappointed with the oversalted and overfried food that they presented, and with a 10pm departure they let you wait for one hour only to serve you with a couple pieces of sushi (not even sashimi)! Given the short-ish (6hr) flight it's absolutely ridiculous IMHO.

hirofumi wrote:
ComfortablyNumb wrote:

A friend of mine, who's an ANA cabin manager, once told me that Japanese food are better on flights departing from Japan while flights from outstations are better with Western ones. You can also mix-n-match with whatever you want to eat on the menu (on long haul flights; never tried on short haul). I've done steaks combining with rice, sushi & Japanese dishes :lol: I found these tips helpful when flying with them, maybe you can give it a go next time? But my experience with ANA gives a much better food quality than JAL overall.

Cheers
Michael

Hi Michael, thanks for the comment. I'm sorry to hear your experience on JL C - was the breakfast not good too? I find their Japanese breakfast to be pretty sumptuous. I agree about JAL's service speed in C - no welcome drink on flights originating from Asian city, service starting late, and breakfast service being too early (something like 2.5hr before the arrival!). They seem to have a strong union that's prohibiting them from becoming too efficient.

Regarding ANA, I agree about flights originating from Japan serve better Japanese meals, and you can also do a mix between Western and Japanese option (as the same goes to JAL as well). I won't comment much on it since I haven't flown long-haul NH in C, hopefully one day! For first class though, I flew NH recently and had their Western meal, which was excellent too, but I still give miles above for JL for the overall quality.

eamondzhang

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:02 pm

hirofumi wrote:

Hi Michael, thanks for the comment. I'm sorry to hear your experience on JL C - was the breakfast not good too? I find their Japanese breakfast to be pretty sumptuous. I agree about JAL's service speed in C - no welcome drink on flights originating from Asian city, service starting late, and breakfast service being too early (something like 2.5hr before the arrival!). They seem to have a strong union that's prohibiting them from becoming too efficient.

Regarding ANA, I agree about flights originating from Japan serve better Japanese meals, and you can also do a mix between Western and Japanese option (as the same goes to JAL as well). I won't comment much on it since I haven't flown long-haul NH in C, hopefully one day! For first class though, I flew NH recently and had their Western meal, which was excellent too, but I still give miles above for JL for the overall quality.

Hi hirofumi,

My apologies that I should have made that clearer. Yes I was talking about the breakfast served at 4am which went too salty and overfried on CGK-NRT trip. About the timing, I've found quite a few airlines serving food 2.5h before arrival (TG, BA, SQ & CX to name a few off top of my head) which I've found been ridiculous all the time, but I have to accept it or I'll be with empty belly for quite a while.

I feel that they can be like ANA when flying those overnight short-ish flights to SE Asia and serve one meal only, less wastage and more sleeping time for passengers as well.

I reckon you should try ANA's long haul, at least from my past experience it's definitely worth the flight. I haven't been on JAL's long haul (CGK-NRT was my longest) so I couldn't say much about this though. If you ever got the chance a trip report would definitely be appreciated ;)

Cheers
Michael

hirofumi
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:46 am

eamondzhang wrote:
I reckon you should try ANA's long haul, at least from my past experience it's definitely worth the flight. I haven't been on JAL's long haul (CGK-NRT was my longest) so I couldn't say much about this though. If you ever got the chance a trip report would definitely be appreciated ;)

I will take a note of that and will definitely try ANA's Business (at least medium haul) especially the flight out of TYO!

eamondzhang

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:06 am

hirofumi wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:

I will take a note of that and will definitely try ANA's Business (at least medium haul) especially the flight out of TYO!

Looking forward to your feedback ;) Enjoy the weekend

Cheers
Michael

hirofumi
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:53 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Looking forward to your feedback ;) Enjoy the weekend

Cheers
Michael

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

readytotaxi

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:28 pm

What wonderful food presentation, if you could shut off your ears you would think you were in a restaurant not an aircraft. Clearly care is taken to prepare such meals sadly lacking in western airlines. Great report, thanks

BuildingMyBento

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:31 pm

AirAfreak wrote:

Do you think Western just means "hamburger," or "hyper-caloric heavyweight?" I flew JL long-haul J two weeks ago, choosing the Japanese meal for the first set, and the "Western" for the second. They were both seasonal, not too rich, and tasty.

Japan isn't only renowned for its local eats...have you ever tried a Japanese croissant, pastry, or even wafu pasta? This breadth of quality across cuisines also translates to JL and NH premium classes.

hirofumi
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:43 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
What wonderful food presentation, if you could shut off your ears you would think you were in a restaurant not an aircraft. Clearly care is taken to prepare such meals sadly lacking in western airlines. Great report, thanks

I must say, the food I've had in the business class was almost like dining in "ryoutei" which is a traditional high-end eatery in Japan, where as the first class meals were going beyond that. Thanks for stopping by.

BuildingMyBento wrote:
AirAfreak wrote:

Do you think Western just means "hamburger," or "hyper-caloric heavyweight?" I flew JL long-haul J two weeks ago, choosing the Japanese meal for the first set, and the "Western" for the second. They were both seasonal, not too rich, and tasty.

Japan isn't only renowned for its local eats...have you ever tried a Japanese croissant, pastry, or even wafu pasta? This breadth of quality across cuisines also translates to JL and NH premium classes.

You certainly have a point, thanks for bringing that up. I remember a Dutch lady told me that the best pasta she had was in Japan and not in Italy, and a friend of mine from South Africa said Japanese pastries (by this I mean Western-type) were the second best he had after France. Japan indeed has its own version of "Western" and "Chinese" (i.e. ramen noodles) food which is also part of their daily cuisine.

AirAfreak

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:16 pm

In terms of "Western" Meal, this is verbiage used on most printed menus on flights I've taken to Asia. I'm sure many of you airline nerds know exactly what I'm talking about when I made reference to "Western" meal option. But in case I need to spell it out for you, I mean any dish outside of "Tradition." Japanese Tradition does not include croissants. Korean Tradition does not include coffee. Indonesian Tradition does not include jajangmyeon.

An example would be to fly Delta Airlines DTW-ICN in J. Printed Menu would say "Korean" or "Western" Breakfast followed by a choice of Bibimbap or Quiche.

Bibimbap is Korean.
Quiche is Western.

<< actual example is from a Delta Airlines flight to Seoul with these choices I noted on my Businesselite flight. >>

hirofumi
Topic Author

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:43 pm

AirAfreak wrote:
In terms of "Western" Meal, this is verbiage used on most printed menus on flights I've taken to Asia. I'm sure many of you airline nerds know exactly what I'm talking about when I made reference to "Western" meal option. But in case I need to spell it out for you, I mean any dish outside of "Tradition." Japanese Tradition does not include croissants. Korean Tradition does not include coffee. Indonesian Tradition does not include jajangmyeon.

An example would be to fly Delta Airlines DTW-ICN in J. Printed Menu would say "Korean" or "Western" Breakfast followed by a choice of Bibimbap or Quiche.

Bibimbap is Korean.
Quiche is Western.

<< actual example is from a Delta Airlines flight to Seoul with these choices I noted on my Businesselite flight. >>

Stop by in Tokyo and I'll personally take you to different eateries, both authentic Japanese and Japanese-Western style :)

AirAfreak

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:12 am

hirofumi wrote:
AirAfreak wrote:

Bibimbap is Korean.
Quiche is Western.

Stop by in Tokyo and I'll personally take you to different eateries, both authentic Japanese and Japanese-Western style :)

It will be great to share this experience! Lately, I am also really enjoying my new favorite sake, "Tedorigawa Iki Na Onna!" I love the elegance of this refined sake. It's great with my Izakaya favorites such as Grilled Ton Toro and Ika. Saba and Sanma are also some of my favorites! Oh, and tataki preparations are my top favorites, too! I'm hungry now. Thank you for the kind gesture! ☺☺☺☺

hirofumi
Topic Author

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:13 pm

AirAfreak wrote:
It will be great to share this experience! Lately, I am also really enjoying my new favorite sake, "Tedorigawa Iki Na Onna!" I love the elegance of this refined sake. It's great with my Izakaya favorites such as Grilled Ton Toro and Ika. Saba and Sanma are also some of my favorites! Oh, and tataki preparations are my top favorites, too! I'm hungry now. Thank you for the kind gesture! ☺☺☺☺

I had to search for "ton toro" to double check what it was lol. You seem to be familiar with Japanese food really well! I'll be back in Japan from May 2018 onward, so let me know when you plan to visit :smile: