User avatar
ClassicLover
Topic Author
Posts: 4111
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Tue May 16, 2017 7:17 pm

For all the pictures of this epic flight, please click here!

After flying from Doha to Auckland, I had completed the first of the two longest flights in the world. At 15 hours and 45 minutes it is a mere snip compared to the return flight which is scheduled at over 17 hours in the air. Checking after the flight, it was almost an entire 18 hours in the air.

Qatar Airways really is something else in Business Class. They feature things such as pyjamas, slippers, and they turn your seat into a bed with linen and a really comfortable pillow. This coupled with the excellent Oryx One entertainment system means there is always something to do on board.

My favourite part is the dine on demand service offered. You can literally have anything on the menu at any time you want and this is the best surprise I have had in all the years I have been flying. I can't rave about it enough!

QR921 - Auckland to Doha (AKL-DOH)
26 April 2017
Boeing 777-200LR - A7-BBG
Seat: Business Class 5F
Departure: 15:07 Arrival: 12:03+1


The menu is extensive with an entire a la carte offering, an extensive breakfast and also light snacks available as well. Here is a look at the breakfast menu.

Image

The Boeing 777-200LR features excellent seats which are wide, spacious and have an enormous amount of seat pitch. In between the seats is a console which contains little drawers opened by pushing a button. Inside is a water bottle. If you're lucky to have the seat free beside you, you get to have two. On this flight the seat next to me was free, so I asked the crew to turn that into a bed for me.

Image

Safety is always important in the aviation industry and as usual there are safety cards in the seat pocket in front of you. As I was seated in the bulkhead row, the seat pocket is attached to the wall. No matter where you sit in Business Class on the 777-200LR, you have to get out of your seat to get the safety card as it's so far forward.

Image

As soon as you're on board, you are offered a welcome drink and a hot or cold towel. I love a cold towel in a hot climate as it feels uber refreshing. Champagne is usually my drink of choice so I had one of those. It is always poured quite full and is served in a proper sized flute.

Image

My first choice from the menu once in the air was a burger, which is actually written as a lamb patty in a toasted brioche bun. You can select from tomato ketchup, mustard or tabasco sauce to suit your desire.

Image

After this, I watched the movie Passengers with Jennifer Lawrence. Oryx One has the whole Star Wars series as well as all the Lord of the Rings movies. I settled in with Star Wars watching both Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. Soon it was time for dinner and you are first served an amuse-bouche.

Image

The cutlery is very nice and I then had my main course. This was followed by gourmet ice cream for dessert which looks pretty sweet and really was!

Image

I had more to drink then kicked back in the bed to have a sleep. The ear plugs in the amenity kit come in handy as they really block out any noise in the dark cabin really well. It is a very comfortable sleep all round. Once I woke and near landing I decided to have breakfast. This is also multiple courses and this is the scrambled eggs with potatoes. I also had a croissant and some fruit to start.

Image

Overall, I loved the flight and found the 18 hours passed really quickly.

Remember, if you want to see all the pictures and read much more (and see the flip side of the safety card), please click here! :)

Thank you for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below.

--

My previous Trip Reports -

Now This Is The Way To Fly - Qatar Airways A350 Business Class DOH-FRA
Heading to New Zealand on Qatar Airways - DOH-AKL on the 777-200LR in Business Class
Qantas Domestic Business Class on the Wi-Fi enabled 737 (the only one!) - SYD-BNE
First time experience on Qatar Airways - an A320 with new lie flat seats from Pisa to Doha in Business Class
Crossing The Ditch: A Business Class trip from Auckland to Sydney on the LATAM Boeing 787 Dreamliner
Heading Off To Amsterdam: KLM Cityhopper Business Class on the E175 DUB-AMS
I had the lounge to myself (really!) so I made a video tour with my iPhone! Cathay Pacific LHR T3 First Class Lounge
Today British Airways Introduced Brand New Food In Club Europe! Pictures of the Brunch and Lunch offering are here!
Eating everything in sight when I visited the Cathay Pacific lounge in Paris! Oodles of noodles too!
British Airways Club Europe LHR-DUB - Champagne all the way!
Soaring above the clouds on the upper deck of a British Airways A380 in Club World
Cathay Pacific's Majestic First Class Lounge At Hong Kong - The Pier - The Lounge With It All
Champagne and Being Stepped On - Overnight Adventures on a British Airways 787-9 Dreamliner from BWI-LHR in Club World
Qantas International First Class Lounge Sydney - The Best First Class Lounge In The World?
Three Flights in Qantas Domestic Business Class - Lie-Flat A330 Seats and Boeing 737. SYD-BNE-CNS and BNE-SYD
A Volcanic Eruption in the Toilet - British Airways Club Europe Athens to London Heathrow
Concorde Room: British Airways 777 First LHR-IAD
Concorde Dining: British Airways 380 First IAD-LHR
Oops! I Missed My Flight! American First DFW-BOS
Phoenix Rising? American A321 First Class BOS-PHX
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
KLDC10
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Tue May 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Great report. It seems like you had a pleasurable experience with Qatar. The 'Food on Demand' service is certainly a great selling point on such a long flight, and the quality of the food looks to be generally excellent too - the airline deserves extra credit for that delicious-looking burger, which many others manage to totally mess up. Overall, you have documented a polished and attractive service. Thanks for sharing.

That said; I would be curious to read about the experience in economy, where I'm sure that the 18 hours would not pass so quickly.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/752/772/A320/A332/A333/E190
 
User avatar
RoySFlying
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 am

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Tue May 16, 2017 11:49 pm

Great report. The cabin service looks like it is up there with the first class offered by other airlines. The food looks impressive, pleasantly presented to appeal to the appetite.

Thanks for sharing.
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Topic Author
Posts: 4111
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Fri May 19, 2017 4:21 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
Great report. It seems like you had a pleasurable experience with Qatar. The 'Food on Demand' service is certainly a great selling point on such a long flight, and the quality of the food looks to be generally excellent too - the airline deserves extra credit for that delicious-looking burger, which many others manage to totally mess up. Overall, you have documented a polished and attractive service. Thanks for sharing.

That said; I would be curious to read about the experience in economy, where I'm sure that the 18 hours would not pass so quickly.


The on demand food really is the future of business class travel. It keeps the crew very busy so I imagine it makes the flight go faster for them as there is usually something to do. I was very pleased with the burger I have to say - you are right, it can be pretty bad!

Glad you enjoyed it. I regret not heading down the back to see what things were like (as well as the load!) but I really wanted to soak up the atmosphere of business class.

RoySFlying wrote:
Great report. The cabin service looks like it is up there with the first class offered by other airlines. The food looks impressive, pleasantly presented to appeal to the appetite.

Thanks for sharing.


The cabin service really is superlative - I think the aim of Qatar is to make their business class as good as first class on other airlines. Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you liked the report :)
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
User avatar
PMBling
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:26 pm

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Fri May 19, 2017 4:41 pm

First Class cabins may be a thing of past soon. And your report is good evidence that airlines are now focusing much better on their Business class products and services - that's where the cash is for them. Good Report Trent, cheers!
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Sat May 20, 2017 3:48 am

Nice to see this report, not sure if this would be fun down the back however, at least they are keeping 9 abreast on the 77L.
I agree QR business class is great, miles ahead of EK 777 business, even their new upcoming seat by the looks of it, especially with QR rolling out new business
 
User avatar
PPVLC
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Sat May 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Great report, thanks for sharing it.
L188 707 727 737 767 A300 DC10 MD11 747
 
User avatar
newbief1yer
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Sun May 21, 2017 12:03 pm

Very nice report.
I can really see the 'On Demand service' working really well on this flight, for the passengers. Another friend of mine who was an Eithad long haul from London to Sydney also raved about the 'Dine On Demand' Service. Both of us, had previously only experienced the BA offering (Club W and First). I would like to try out the Dine on Demand service someday in the future.
Thanks for sharing your experience,
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 4243
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm

Really enjoyed that,good looking food and great service, now if only BA could do that in Club, dream on.
I envey you being able to fly for so long, my max is around 9hrs. Thanks.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 3558
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Mon May 22, 2017 6:26 pm

The really entertaining trip report would be the 18 hours spent in an economy seat. That would be a fun horror story. I can't even imagine that much time, seated next to the wrong people could be a nightmare that long
 
11725Flyer
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 4:51 pm

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Sat May 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Oh my word. How elegant. If you're going to spend 18 hours on a plane, I suppose this is the way to do it. The breakfast meal looked awesome. Thanks for a great trip report!
 
richierich
Posts: 3396
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2000 5:49 am

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Tue May 30, 2017 5:34 pm

A great report, thanks! I think there are many of us who would love to try it - but AKL and DOH are a city pair I doubt I will ever be flying! The seat(s) look great, and you definitely lucked out having the seat next to you empty as well. A nice bonus!
One quick lavatory comment - you're a brave soul using the changing tray for anything. Do you know what goes on there? I wouldn't assume it is sanitized after every flight and certainly not every usage, so put your clothes on it at your own risk!!!

Thank you for sharing this experience.
None shall pass!!!!
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Topic Author
Posts: 4111
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:33 am

PMBling wrote:
First Class cabins may be a thing of past soon. And your report is good evidence that airlines are now focusing much better on their Business class products and services - that's where the cash is for them. Good Report Trent, cheers!


First Class is always good for an upgrade with points, so I'd be sad to see them go altogether. I have very rarely flown international First Class and always on points. It does show how good Business Class can be. Glad you enjoyed the report!

jrfspa320 wrote:
Nice to see this report, not sure if this would be fun down the back however, at least they are keeping 9 abreast on the 77L.
I agree QR business class is great, miles ahead of EK 777 business, even their new upcoming seat by the looks of it, especially with QR rolling out new business


Yes, the new Q Suite at QR looks like it's going to be pretty amazing. I'd love to fly as a group of 4 and try that out as it looks so cool. Agree it would be a different experience spending 18 hours down the back!

PPVLC wrote:
Great report, thanks for sharing it.


Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the comment :)

newbief1yer wrote:
Very nice report.
I can really see the 'On Demand service' working really well on this flight, for the passengers. Another friend of mine who was an Eithad long haul from London to Sydney also raved about the 'Dine On Demand' Service. Both of us, had previously only experienced the BA offering (Club W and First). I would like to try out the Dine on Demand service someday in the future.
Thanks for sharing your experience,


I am convinced Dine On Demand is the future for international Business Class. Absolutely a huge fan of this and it probably makes more of a difference to how you feel at the end of the flight than cabin altitude or anything like that. It will be interesting if BA introduce it in Club World considering how big Club World is. Short sectors don't make much of a difference as most people will eat at the same time due to flight duration. Glad you enjoyed the report!

readytotaxi wrote:
Really enjoyed that,good looking food and great service, now if only BA could do that in Club, dream on.
I envey you being able to fly for so long, my max is around 9hrs. Thanks.


I'm originally from Australia so I am used to the long flights. I consider 8 hours to be quite short nowadays. It's all a matter of perspective. Agree with you on BA. I'm sure it can be done, but the unions would probably demand more money and BA would say no, and voila - nothing changes.

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
The really entertaining trip report would be the 18 hours spent in an economy seat. That would be a fun horror story. I can't even imagine that much time, seated next to the wrong people could be a nightmare that long


I don't think I have the guts to do that :) I think if I was rich I might buy a seat in Business Class and Economy Class and sit down the back and see how long I could stand it, then move :P hahaha!

11725Flyer wrote:
Oh my word. How elegant. If you're going to spend 18 hours on a plane, I suppose this is the way to do it. The breakfast meal looked awesome. Thanks for a great trip report!


Absolutely, I am thrilled to bits that I got to try it, considering how cheap the fare was. Thanks for the comment!

richierich wrote:
A great report, thanks! I think there are many of us who would love to try it - but AKL and DOH are a city pair I doubt I will ever be flying! The seat(s) look great, and you definitely lucked out having the seat next to you empty as well. A nice bonus!
One quick lavatory comment - you're a brave soul using the changing tray for anything. Do you know what goes on there? I wouldn't assume it is sanitized after every flight and certainly not every usage, so put your clothes on it at your own risk!!!

Thank you for sharing this experience.


Thank you very much for the comment, I am really happy you liked the read. It is a pretty random city pair and if I was not originally from Australia there is no way I would have been booking the flight. It just worked out destination wise. It's like I wouldn't actively fly SQ's Singapore to New York when it begins because I have no reason to fly the route.

The seats are great on this aircraft - so much space! An empty seat next to me makes it even better.

I hear you on the changing tray. I would have expected it to be always cleaned post flight as a matter of course, even to remove err - airborne particles that may have adhered to it, since it is in the toilet. I didn't get sick so all is well :)
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
YTR
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Great TR. I'm still reluctant to book such a long flight even in business.
 
ExpatFlyer
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:22 am

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:28 am

Hi ClassicLover, excellent TR.

Indeed the dining a la carte is the new benchmark for business class.
Singapore Airlines introduced the Book the Cook service years back now, and that's available for Business Class, First Class and Suites flyers who can book their meals of preference before flying.
And their Lobster Thermidor remains one of the most sought after dining options (and it's truly tasty and well presented) upgrading the inflight dining experience to the next level.

All the best
It's so Miami!
 
nelsony
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:21 am

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:16 am

Great review of this very very long service haha!
That is truly brave to take such a long flight, when I was younger I would love this challenge.
But now, I wonder if I can handle 18 hours on a flight, which is why I would want attempt the new Qantas Perth to London coming next year.
Having said that, Qantas is not Qatar and Qatar catering looks superior.
Those meals look better than Qantas First Class, so I guess food and movies will help you pass the time.
QR must stock the kitchen full if they didn't run out of food! that is amazing considering Etihad always runs out of food even on short 6 hour flights to Europe.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Topic Author
Posts: 4111
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:46 pm

YTR wrote:
Great TR. I'm still reluctant to book such a long flight even in business.


You really don't notice the length of the flight. Since you can eat whenever, it makes a difference. With something to read and of course the on board entertainment system, the flight doesn't feel long. I've had 12 hour flights feel longer.

ExpatFlyer wrote:
Hi ClassicLover, excellent TR.

Indeed the dining a la carte is the new benchmark for business class.
Singapore Airlines introduced the Book the Cook service years back now, and that's available for Business Class, First Class and Suites flyers who can book their meals of preference before flying.
And their Lobster Thermidor remains one of the most sought after dining options (and it's truly tasty and well presented) upgrading the inflight dining experience to the next level.

All the best


Thanks very much - glad you enjoyed the report! :)

I have heard great things about Singapore though I haven't yet tried them. Book the Cook sounds like an excellent service. I've seen it in a few Trip Reports before. Funnily enough, I think I've read someone else praising the Lobster Thermidor as well. Lobster is definitely something that I have not seen ever in business class when flying. I'd be ordering it if I flew - sounds great - and I like lobster though I rarely eat it.

nelsony wrote:
Great review of this very very long service haha!
That is truly brave to take such a long flight, when I was younger I would love this challenge.
But now, I wonder if I can handle 18 hours on a flight, which is why I would want attempt the new Qantas Perth to London coming next year.
Having said that, Qantas is not Qatar and Qatar catering looks superior.
Those meals look better than Qantas First Class, so I guess food and movies will help you pass the time.
QR must stock the kitchen full if they didn't run out of food! that is amazing considering Etihad always runs out of food even on short 6 hour flights to Europe.


I'd love to try the forthcoming Qantas Perth to London service as it's going to be the first regular service with no stops between Australia and Europe. I hope it becomes successful. I wonder if they'll do something special with the on board service.

Interesting you should say that about the catering. When flying Qantas domestically and also Trans-Tasman in Business Class a couple of months ago, I thought the catering was good but nothing mind blowing. They've been using Neil Perry as their chef for years now - maybe it's time for a change. I'd be disappointed to not have a brilliant experience in First Class. The Qatar food was really nice.

I'd say they don't stock it too full as I was lucky to get an ice cream on this flight so I guess some items may run out. Also, when I flew PSA to DOH, they ran out of the cheese plate, so I guess it just depends on what people order. Thanks for the comment and glad you enjoyed the report :)
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
ExpatFlyer
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:22 am

Re: What is it like flying for 18 hours on a single flight? Qatar Airways AKL-DOH 777-200LR Business Class

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:04 am

ClassicLover wrote:

ExpatFlyer wrote:
Hi ClassicLover, excellent TR.

Indeed the dining a la carte is the new benchmark for business class.
Singapore Airlines introduced the Book the Cook service years back now, and that's available for Business Class, First Class and Suites flyers who can book their meals of preference before flying.
And their Lobster Thermidor remains one of the most sought after dining options (and it's truly tasty and well presented) upgrading the inflight dining experience to the next level.

All the best


Thanks very much - glad you enjoyed the report! :)

I have heard great things about Singapore though I haven't yet tried them. Book the Cook sounds like an excellent service. I've seen it in a few Trip Reports before. Funnily enough, I think I've read someone else praising the Lobster Thermidor as well. Lobster is definitely something that I have not seen ever in business class when flying. I'd be ordering it if I flew - sounds great - and I like lobster though I rarely eat it.


Hi ClassicLover:
Singapore Airlines has a dedicated weblink for the Book the Cook a-la-carte menu, see https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us/flying-withus/dining/book-the-cook/business-class-singapore/

This is a selection of pics of their delicious Lobster Thermidor that I wonderfully enjoyed while flying between SIN/MXP (in case, please see my TR: http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=980053&p)
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

All the best
It's so Miami!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DavecFlyer, SR100 and 3 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos