Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lukasgv1
Topic Author

Easter Holiday Flight: Madrid - Gran Canaria for 9'99€ [Low Cost Miracles]

Tue May 09, 2017 8:04 am

This is the trip report of my flight from MADRID to GRAN CANARIA with RYANAIR.

BASIC INFO OF THE ROUTE

All the routes from Madrid (Spain's Capital) to the Canary Islands have a lot of daily frequencies, both with traditional airlines and with low-cost airlines. Of course, there are a lot of daily passengers on all theses routes, but especially on the routes to Gran Canaria and Tenerife.

To fly between Madrid and Gran Canaria you have several options: Air Europa (B737 or A330/B787), Iberia Express (A320/A321), Norwegian (B737) or Ryanair (B737). The route seems to be profitable for all of them. The way Air Europa has to compete with the low-cost airlines is to use huge airplanes with a lot of capacity to be able to set low prices. It's an interesting way, as their airplanes are many times stopped at Madrid for many hours until they depart again to South-America.

BOARDING

Despite the fact that the route is profitable for all of them, also all of them want to carry as much as passengers they can. That's the reason why sometimes (like this one) you can find some extremely ridiculous prices: this flight cost me 9'99 €uro! (Around 9 US$!). Of course, I didn't doubt it and I booked it immediately!

The trip starts with our arrival at Madrid-Barajas Airport to take the FR2031 to Gran Canaria Airport that departs at 6:40 am local time. At Madrid and Barcelona airports, Ryanair is forced to use jetways (when available, of course), so we boarded the airplane via jetway at gate C40 and moved fast to our seat: 7F.

DEPARTURE AND SUNRISE

Without delay, we started our taxi to runway 36L when the sun was starting to rise over the horizon, so we enjoyed the best part of the sunrise in flight. I always say that this is the best part of any flight possible: there's no noise on board the airplane, everybody is sleeping, the cabin crew usually don't disturb (except that it's a short flight) and the lights are the best possible to see anywhere. I love to see how the colors change from blue to orange, then to yellow, again to orange, and then to normal light. It's awesome. Check it on the video, you'll see what I'm talking about, and I'm sure that you won't sleep on your next sunrise flight! ;)

Of course, the catering on Ryanair is pay-to-eat. You'll be able to check their price on the video at least the prices of food. They also sell lots of "duty-free products" and some other stuff. If you fly with Ryanair I really recommend you their Lavazza Coffee. It's really tasty, believe me!

CRUISE AND ARRIVAL

This flight took us over the south of Spain, all the Atlantic coast of Morroco, and then Lanzarote-Fuerteventura islands descending to Gran Canaria.

During the approach, we saw some storms, but there weren't close the airport. We were able to see, perfectly, the capital of the island: Las Palmas de Gran Canaria city. The approach to LPA airport (as almost all the Canary airports) when coming from the north is very beautiful, as the airplane must do an 180º turn during the approach, and that allows you to have some awesome views of the sea and, of course, the island.

We arrived on time (some minutes ahead of the scheduled time) to Gran Canaria and disembarked, again, with a jetway.

I hope that you'll enjoy the video-report! :)

As always, I know that in this forum many people prefer the photo-reports to the video-reports, but I would like to ask you to give this one a chance. I'm sure you'll enjoy the 4K video review!

LINK TO THE VIDEO-REPORT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxdddRSNKxQ

lysflyer

Re: Easter Holiday Flight: Madrid - Gran Canaria for 9'99€ [Low Cost Miracles]

Tue May 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Hello, your TR sounds nice but after watching to yout video TR, I really prefer the photo ones

lukasgv1
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2017 8:48 pm

lysflyer wrote:
Hello, your TR sounds nice but after watching to yout video TR, I really prefer the photo ones

Since a lot of years ago, I love to film the flights and then edit and share them with all the aviation enthusiasts. I perfectly understand that you prefer photo-reports, maybe because they are faster than the video reports, but I think it's not fair to compare both types of TR. The photo ones are faster to see, but the video ones give you the "real feel" of being inside that TR. That's my opinion. :)

Cush

Thu May 11, 2017 4:28 am

I agree with LYSflyer.... I won't watch video trip reports. Post photos and text. Video is a waste of time.

lukasgv1
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Cush wrote:
I agree with LYSflyer.... I won't watch video trip reports. Post photos and text. Video is a waste of time.

I'm sorry, but you aren't going to tell me what to do. I accept that you prefer photo reports but that's all.