Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Robisintheair
Topic Author

The best way over the North Atlantic?

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Its time to go back to Oslo. With American Airlines in their new Business Class, first flight is to London-Heathrow. From the Jamaica station, the JFK Airport Train takes me to Terminal 8. Here flies, in addition to American Airlines, Air Berlin and LATAM.

For many more Pictures: ==> http://www.robisintheair.de/review-american-airlines-boeing-777-300er-business-class/

American Airlines Priority Check-in

In the departure hall, there is a large separated area for priority guests. Oneworld Sapphire, Emerald, Business Class and First Class check in here and drop-off the luggage. There are very comfortable armchairs in this space. I only know something like this from Thai Airways in Bangkok (although they are still at the counter).

Behind the security control, you pass more or less the lounge entrance. We reach the lounge via an elevator. Business Class guests and Oneworld Sapphire go to the Admirals Club. Thanks to my topbonus platinum status, we are invited to the flagship lounge.

American Airlines Flagship Lounge

We still have a lot of time to get there. At the window front we take the last two free recliners. A drink with umbrella in the left Hand and the overview of the apron of JFK Airport, what needs a Frequentflyer Heart more?

The flagship lounge is relatively small, but has a good range of drinks, snacks and food. "First Class Lounge" is perhaps a little exaggerated. However, the design and quality of the lounge will improve significantly during the renovation work. Until the beginning of 2017 is far away, one has to be still a little patience. Now there is freshly-baked bread rolls for the early afternoon as a small snack, in the evening a variation of warm dishes. For pure curiosity I try a few things through. The quality fits.

There are only a few minutes left to boarding, but enough time to enjoy the last view of Manhattan and relax in peace. In the far distance, at Cargo Apron, by the way stands the Ed Force One by Iron Maiden.

American Airlines Boeing 777-300ER Business Class -Boarding

We walk just a few steps from the lounge to our gate. There, the first passengers are already queuing up in a queue and waiting for it to start. The first class may enter first, then we follow. Our place is in the larger part of the Business Class cabin. I am on 7A for the upcoming night flight.

e are greeted warmly. As an aperitif you can choose from the usual: water, orange juice and champagne. The captain reports from the loudspeakers that our departure will be a little to early. Because of the favorable backwind. Since we arrive well before the planned arrival time in London and can only be landed from 6:00 local time, we remain at the gate. So there is still time to take the excellent Business Class seat under the magnifying glass.

American Airlines Business Class – The Seat

Each seat has a direct access to the aisle through the Reverse Herringbone arrangement, as well as a maximum of privacy and space. This is nice when you are traveling alone, but it is difficult if the woman and the child are involved.

Nevertheless, this seat is awesome! The Bose Active Noise Canceling headphones are already available in a small cabinet. A small bottle of water is also available, which is particularly good. In addition to the two pre-installed steps (takeoff / sleep), the seat offers a variety of adjustment possibilities and also the table can be varied in size as required.

If cell phone or laptop must be charched, you can easily dock it to the American, European and British plug systems. A USB port is also available. With the remote control, the inflight entertainment can be controlled simply and logically. The reaction time is very good.
American Airlines Business Class – The Flight

The pushback starts and our triple seven paves the way towards the runway. The massive GE-90 howls and provides powerful propulsion. The pilots turn left and we climb over Long Island to our flight altitude and continue on course to Boston and North-East Canada.

Outside, the sun slowly goes down. My sundowner is Gin Tonic, matching warm nuts in a porcelain bowl. After the aperitif the food is served. American, as well as British Airways on the outward, to choose from five different main courts online before check in.

American Airlines Business Class – The Service

As a starter, American Airlines served Thai Chicken with grilled pineapple and watermelon with mint dressing - a very nice summer dish. As well as a mixed salad with artichokes and grilled tomatoes, with Feta cheese. The main course consisted of a lime risotto, steamed curative with sautéed tomato fennel and broccoli. The food is really a poem, the salad is fresh and crisp, the fish juicy. For dessert, I'm spoiled for choice: New York Chesecake or ice cream. I decide after long hesitation for the ice.

During the evening dinner runs with me the film Everest. Wi-Fi was available throughout the flight, but I did not use it. During the clearing, I am asked whether I would still have breakfast before the landing or would prefer to sleep as long as possible. Breakfasts sounds good! Then it's time to see if the seat does what he promises. I make my bed for the night. With the ear plugs from the Amenity Kit, I can actually sleep just under three hours.

We are now over Ireland and the breakfast is served. Again, it was allowed to choose from the Menu. I choose the fruit with yoghurt and granola. This unfortunately means that we will land at the same time. The crew is already beginning to clean up.

London is already within reach because we are starting with the holdings. As the captain promised, we ended up on the London Heathrow airport. A far too short, great flight comes to an end!

Thank you for reading! What do you think about the American Business Class?

For many more Pictures: ==> http://www.robisintheair.de/review-american-airlines-boeing-777-300er-business-class/

res77W

Re: The best way over the North Atlantic?

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:34 am

Excellent report! The AA 77W J seat really is a great product. The food looks good, it seems like AA is stepping it up a notch. It's nice to read a positive review of a US-based carrier here on A.net, especially as critical as we can be of the US3. Just my two cents.

-Rowen

lychemsa

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:39 pm

The food in economy "sucks." unlike United American have made no effort to improve their meals. They still serve a disgusting chocolate brownie which United has finally replaced with a decent ice cream. Their salads have improved as they give you a generous portion of tomatoes.

Anyway their Business Class looks great at least.

Robisintheair
Topic Author

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:46 pm

res77W wrote:
Excellent report! The AA 77W J seat really is a great product. The food looks good, it seems like AA is stepping it up a notch. It's nice to read a positive review of a US-based carrier here on A.net, especially as critical as we can be of the US3. Just my two cents.

-Rowen

Hi Rowen,

I appreciate that! American Airlines made a good Job on this flight IMHO. Once again, thank you for reading!

-Rob

Robisintheair
Topic Author

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:50 pm

lychemsa wrote:
The food in economy "sucks." unlike United American have made no effort to improve their meals. They still serve a disgusting chocolate brownie which United has finally replaced with a decent ice cream. Their salads have improved as they give you a generous portion of tomatoes.

Anyway their Business Class looks great at least.

Thank you for reading! My last flight with United is many yeas ago - from Frankfurt to Houston in Economy Class and it was ok (in 2014 :-) )
Lets see if they will also make some improvements in Economy, just like their new Polaris Business Class.

Best regards
Rob