Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

SriLankan Business Class: A330-300 From KUL to CMB

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:56 pm

Here's the link to the photos.

INTRODUCTION
At last, a new airline! This will be my first trip on SriLankan and my first visit to Sri Lanka. I must say, every since K., herself Sri Lankan, engineer extraordinaire and purveyor of incredibly spicy food started working for us as an intern, I’ve been rather curious about Sri Lanka. This will only be a short visit. But I can always go back if I like it.

To get from KL to Colombo I have two options for a nonstop flight, either Malaysia Airlines or SriLankan. Given that both are Oneworld members and the fact that I’ve already sampled Malaysian a couple of times – and wasn’t too impressed – of course my choice would be SriLankan.

CHECK-IN
Check-in for the flight opens three hours before departure and SriLankan has its counters on row M. There is a dedicated Business Class counter and the young lady behind the desk makes quick work of checking me in. She also prints an invitation for the Plaza Lounge in the satellite terminal.

The journey to the c gates in the satellite is via an automated train that runs partly underground and partly above ground. Alas, the windows are all plastered with stickers, so there’s no photo taking on the journey.

LOUNGE
As a Silver member in BA’s Executive Club I have a number of options for the lounge. I’ve been in the Malaysia lounge and wasn’t not too impressed with that either. So in the interest of investigative blogging, or something, I decide to try the Plaza Lounge as envisaged by SriLankan.

Man, what a big mistake! They’re actually queuing outside the lounge entrance for access. I’m sure there are more people inside this lounge than there are outside right now. This seems to be the lounge for just about all carriers operating out of KL’s satellite that don’t have their own lounge. Them and all the credit card companies that give you lounge access if you’re a respectable shopaholic aka good customer. I think it’s time to leave.

Okay, time to head across to the Cathay Pacific lounge which is a) much nicer, b) empty, and c) quiet. The food options are better too. I’m not sure there are toilets or showers in this lounge though.

BOARDING
If you’re departing on a flight from KL, the boarding time for your flight will be one hour prior to departure. That’s because the security check takes place at the gate. It also means that usually it’s better not to arrive too early so you won’t have queue or wait too long inside the lounge. Unless of course, you’re the kind of weirdo who’ll arrive early on purpose to take a few shots of the aircraft you’ll be travelling on…

And thank God I did arrive early! Because there’s been an aircraft change. And what a nice one it is too. The scheduled Airbus A 321 narrowbody has been replaced by an Airbus A 330-300 in the new seating configuration. Oh ye might airline gods, how can I ever thank you enough? I shall have to offer my first born as a sacrifice to thank you.

CABIN & SEAT
This is what I call the Cathay Pacific seat, which is basically a 2 + 2 + 2 configuration in a reverse herringbone layout. There’s not quite as much storage space as on the Cathay Pacific seat but other than that, this is still one of my favourite airplane seats out there. My only complaint is that SriLankan have gone for faux leather seat covers and within just a few minutes of sitting down, I’m already starting to feel sticky.

Earphones, two pillows and a blanket have already been placed at every seat. Originally I’m on 3G, which is an aisle seat. However, as soon as boarding is completed it becomes apparent that the Business Class cabin is going to be everything but full. So I ask the flight attendant if it’s okay for me to change seats and then move back to the window on 6K.

CREW & SERVICE
Ah yes, the flight attendants. Bugger me! The crew on this flight is made up of a group of young men and women. And what a good-looking bunch they are too. The men all look rather dapper in their dark blue suits and the ladies are wearing these very elegant looking dresses in a peacock design. And they look gorgeous!

But apart form all that, the crew all seem really friendly and give the impression of being rather happy in their jobs and well, happy to see you as a customer. Which is always nice.

While we’re still on the ground, a welcome drink is served along with a scented hot towel that is so hot I’m sure my epidermis is about to dissolve… Other than that, I notice when the crew place the glasses down they all make sure the airline’s logo on the glass is visible. This is something they continue to pay attention to throughout the flight. Their interaction with the passengers is charming and easy going.

MEAL SERVICE
Before departure a menu is handed out and then a flight attendant comes by to take my order. For an aperitif I have a glass of Harvey Bristol cream, which is served with a dish of warm cashews.

For the starter there is a salad of mixed shredded vegetables with sesame seeds, presented with a wasabi and ginger sauce, which is quite tasty and light.

For the main course I go with the vegetarian option – vegetable biryani with vegetable makhani and a potato and cauliflower masala with raita. This is really very tasty, and I think K. would approve, even if this is nowhere as spicy as the stuff she normally makes.

The salad is served with a selection from the breadbasket, which is my queue to overdose on the garlic bread again. For dessert there is a fresh fruit, which is the vile and healthy option, and a bread and butter pudding with almond flakes, the sinfully delectable option, which is served with tea.

Obviously, this being Ceylon I’m heading for, I decide to go with a Ceylon Early Grey tea to finish off.

ARRIVAL
Eventually we start our descent into Colombo after a flying time of about three hours. There are quite a few CBs around, so it’s quite a bumpy ride. I’m struck by just how green and lush Sri Lanka looks from above.

The terminal is fairly busy when we arrive. I make my way to immigration where the friendly immigration officer informs me that I need a visa for Sri Lanka which I should have obtained before arrival. Eventually though, we’re able to resolve the whole thing, I pay the fee and I’m in the country. Something tells me I’m going to like it here…

debonair

Re: SriLankan Business Class: A330-300 From KUL to CMB

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:18 pm

which is basically a 2 + 2 + 2 configuration in a reverse herringbone layout.

Strange, the seat map looks different though... :scratchchin:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/SriLa ... 30-300.php

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:09 am

Hi Debonair,

Duly noted and corrected. Thanks for spotting that.

Cheers,
William

AirAfreak

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:53 am

Hello!

Love the seats, but just not the material, as you noted, but overall your flights with SriLankan seems to be quite nice!

I've never used a Plaza Premium lounge before but I have used the CIP Lounges at Suvarnabhumi when Delta would give me lounge invitation coupons before switching us passengers to the Air France Lounge. Are Plaza Premiums similar to CIP Lounges in terms of amenities?

Hope you enjoyed your visit to Sri Lanka. If you have any additional photos of your trip, I would love to see them on your blog or here on airliners.net!

Thanks again as always for taking the time to share your report with all of us! It was nice to read this as I doubt Los Angeles will ever see this airline land here.

jrfspa320

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:49 am

Thanks for this report, i think they are a great airline with fabulous crew! The business class fares from asia to london are great! The only let down is the lounge in colombo

Airfurt

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:52 pm

Thank you for sharing your Experience! SriLankan looks quite good and I didn't had this Oneworld Airline on my Radar :D

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi AirAfreak

Probaably they won't be coming to LAX any time soon. But in the meantime you'll have all those A 380s in LAX to console you!

To be honest, I don't think I've ever tried CIP Lounges. And I also have to say that although I wasn't too impressed with the Plaza Premium lounge in KUL, the Plaza Premium airport hotel in Abu Dhabi's terminal was rather nice, convenient and clean.

I certainly did enjoy Sri Lanka and I woldn't mind going back, although I must say I didn't take many pictures.

Hi Airfurt

I know what you mean, they're the one I tend to forget too!

Cheers,
William