akinsoul
Topic Author

Big and fabulous! Emirates A380 DXB-BKK + VIDEO TRIP REPORT

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:35 pm

Thanks for checking in for this trip report :D

This is the second flight of my trip to Thailand last year on the all mighty Emirates.

You can read the that trip report (GLA-DXB on 777-300ER) here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1348609
It had been over ten years since I had last flown on Emirates and that trip was pretty blah which meant that I avoided them until now – thanks to their £ 450 offer for GLA-BKK!

And boy, it was an amazing experience from start to finish.

>>WATCH THIS TRIP REPORT ON YOUTUBE<<

Airline: Emirates
Flight: EK372
Route: Dubai DXB – Bangkok BKK
Aircraft: A380-800 (A6-EDR)
Date: October 2016
Seat: 47K

TRANSFER AT DXB

Dubai is one ginormous airport! I had 1 hour 45 minutes to transfer from my Glasgow flight and I needed that time! It was pretty straight forward finding the gate but think about your footwear when you have to transfer in Dubai!

We arrived at Terminal 3 C-Gates which meant I had to walk over to the B-Gates, head downstairs and take the underground train to get to the A-Gates, Emirates’ A380 hub.

THE SEAT

The seat was very comfortable and the seat pitch generous at 32”. It comes with USB port and plug socket for each seat, which can be found in the seatback of the front seat.

THE FOOD

Emirates still hands out printed menus, which adds to the premium experience. However, unlike Qatar Airways, which offers three options for each meal, Emirates only offers two. Also, there was only one meal service on this 5 hour 45 minute flight. But, and it is a big BUT, the meal was very substantial and more than enough to keep you going until Bangkok. For those who were still hungry, EK offered cup noodles on request.

The prawn noodles were good but it was really the salted caramel white chocolate cream cheese mousse dessert that hit the spot. It was so good! I love how they also pad out the tray with bread sticks and crackers as well as the piece of chocolate which just completes the whole meal.

All in all, the meal was really good (and filling).

THE IFE

We all know that Emirates is setting the standard for IFE in the industry. There is absolutely no way, anyone could ever get bored on an Emirates flight. The choice you have is out of this world! Highlights were the Marvel and Star Wars collections…all of them!

The screen itself was good – however, on this particular aircraft, the screens were of an older generation and maybe not as responsive as newer ones (which I had on the Glasgow – Dubai flight). Still, this was just a minor thing and the menu and everything was very intuitive and provided for a fab user experience.

On this flight, Wifi was also offered – however, it didn’t work for most of the flight.

THE CREW

Whatever these guys and girls take before each flight, I want some! Emirates cabin crew seemed to have returned to their former glory of being world class. They were friendly, welcoming, smiley, helpful, professional and just really well put together! Impeccable.

I had a really good flight from Glasgow to Dubai and was pleasantly surprised. However, it could have just been a bit of a blip.

This flight really reaffirmed that it was not. While the crew was amazing already on the first flight, the A380 crew blew even them out of the water. It was just a joy to fly with them and see them do their thing.

VERDICT

When it comes to value for money, it is difficult to beat Emirates. All I can say is that I am looking forward to flying with them again. The price is right. The experience is right.. So yes, hello tomorrow!

>>WATCH THIS TRIP REPORT ON YOUTUBE<<

Like this one? Read my other trip reports:

>>Emirates GLA-DXB 777-300ER Economy Class<<

>>Air Canada LHR-YVR 777-300ER Economy Class<<

>>Air Canada YVR-YYZ 777-200LR Economy Class<<

>>Air Canada Rouge YYZ-GLA 767 Economy Class<<
Sometimes Boeing. Never boring.

akinsoul
Topic Author

Re: Big and fabulous! Emirates A380 DXB-BKK + VIDEO TRIP REPORT

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:52 pm

I forgot to add these photos of the lovely engines....big is indeed beautiful!

CollegeAviator

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:52 am

Nice report, thank you very much for sharing!

Emirates certainly has a very impressive product in Economy. However, they recently announced that they would be taking out the printed menus from Economy class :(

The Digital Widescreen IFE is great!

CollegeAviator

QueenoftheSkies

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:39 am

U excpected 2 meals on a flight that is less than 6hrs? That's laughable.

stefanJ

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:46 am

CollegeAviator wrote:
Nice report, thank you very much for sharing!

Emirates certainly has a very impressive product in Economy. However, they recently announced that they would be taking out the printed menus from Economy class :(

The Digital Widescreen IFE is great!

CollegeAviator

Haven't been able to find where they announced they are removing printed menus, would you have a source?

CollegeAviator

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:26 pm

stefanJ wrote:
Haven't been able to find where they announced they are removing printed menus, would you have a source?

Hi there! I found a couple of the cost cutting measures here: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... t-cutting/

The removal of printed menus is not listed. I might've misunderstood (read - assumed :roll: ) the fact that they are removing printed menus since I had my first flights with QR a few days prior...and they did not have menus. My bad!

akinsoul
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:37 am

QueenoftheSkies wrote:
U excpected 2 meals on a flight that is less than 6hrs? That's laughable.

Back in the days they would serve a meal after take-off and a snack prior to landing. Last time I flew Qatar on Doha-Bangkok, they had two meal services and it's about the same flying time.

CollegeAviator wrote:
The removal of printed menus is not listed. I might've misunderstood (read - assumed :roll: ) the fact that they are removing printed menus since I had my first flights with QR a few days prior...and they did not have menus. My bad!

I had that on Qatar as well - they showed the menu on screen on some of the flights which I thought was clever. Will be on Qatar again later on in the year. Will see if they have removed the menus from all flights.

ExLibris76

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:44 am

"U excpected 2 meals on a flight that is less than 6hrs? That's laughable."

QueenoftheSkies,

As Akinsoul pointed out, there are still premium airlines out there which provide a meal soon after take-off and a 'snack' prior to landing, even on medium haul flights. And sometimes, these 'snacks' are very much meals in themselves. SQ, EY, MH, QR, EK, TG, CX, come to mind. I'm sure there are plenty others I've experienced but cannot immediately recall. So clearly, Akinsoul's 'expectation' has been conditioned by his past experiences. The only "laughable" aspect here is your own apparent lack of comparable experience; otherwise you would surely have known that such customer service still exists!
Courtesy costs you nothing.

Osiris

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Wow that food looks really good for Y!