SQueeze
Topic Author

TG-ed to TG's new F at J class prices to BOM

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:30 am

Background

Thai Airways still run their 747s and it was by coincidence I discovered that they run one of these to Mumbai (my frequent base) for the winter season 2016-2017. And all the better that I discovered that they open their First Class cabin to Business Class passengers. How else could I resist the pull of the cabin at the nose? And to make it sweeter, they are selling these seats at S$1700 (US$1200), more than half the price of SQ, and coming close to SQ's economy prices.

And to add to the bonanza, the connecting flights are on TG's new 787 and new A350. And so, one gets the chance to try all of it!

The only catch is that Thai is certainly infamous for aircraft swap, and in flyertalk circle, they even have a verb for it. To get TG-ed means to get aircraft substituted, usually to something much older and worse. But in my case, I got the opposite. The story of it below.

Part 1: The 787

Airline: Thai Airways
Flight: TG414
Seat: 11A
Class: Business
Load: 100%
Type: 787 (HS-TQC)

My TG experience started in T1's SATS Premier Lounge

...which is a really nice set up with sit-down check-in counters (better than the small one in T2)

And then next to TG's own Royal Silk Lounge

...which is gloriously decorated in TG's signature burgundy / orchid red Colours.

I made myself comfortable in one of these plush sofas at the corner.

Food selection is very well-spread although the serving area is small. And the food is all delicious, much better than in SKL where food these days tend to be junk and oily.

Thai desserts are beautiful, exquisite, and delicious for sure! I can never resist the temptation.

At the gate, the beautiful beak of the 787 Dreamliner greets.

I stepped onboard to see a cabin layout in 2-2-2 and slightly angled. I had seen this configuration before with Aeroflot.

Soon after, the cabin filled up to full capacity.

And now review of the seats. It's quite similar to SQ's Regional J in configuration but these is definitely more improvement from that simple 2-2-2 layout.

The angles and slight stagger between 2 seats naturally allow an additional space at the side where one can put quite a few devices and there are charging ports here.

On top of that, unlike SQ's Regional J, the seats recline fully to flat bed mode.

The downside is that there isn't much privacy at all and you are also directly watching what your Neighbour is watching. In a way, it's very much a regional J product. TG doesn't run this on Long routes. For medium distance flights to India and Japan, I think it is an appropriate design.

Underneath the screen, there is also a slot where one can put their laptops, magazines, and other flat items. Unfortunately, there is no latch to it, so you are risking things falling off when the plane tilts. The seat also tapers at the legs.

Seat control and IFE control are as usual at the side

Headset is house brand.

And menu is separate for food and drinks.

This afternoon's menu. All sounded delicious to me and I couldn't make up my mind between the prawns and the snapper. In the end, I picked prawns.

By this time, the great friendly cabin crew was making her rounds taking up drink and food orders. Awesome.

We were then past scheduled departure due to late incoming of aircraft and we pushed back more than half hour past. And the sky was brooding storm!

By the time, we were in the taxiway, we were some good 8-9 in line and it was a dreadful half an hour slow crawl towards the runway. And by that time, it was raining cats and dogs which made it even much worse.

I was also making a 1.5 hour connection in BKK and now an hour after STD, we were still on the ground. With the rain pours even more, the crawl became even slower due to intermittent periods of limited visibility.

We took off more than an hour after.

SQueeze
Topic Author

Re: TG-ed to TG's new F at J class prices to BOM

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:31 am

Champagne was served first.

But I note it was not coordinated with the nuts. I almost finished the drink, only then I realised there were nuts coming.

Food came an hour into the flight and wow, it was good! ... although the presentation is not exactly luxurious.

Appetiser was seafood aspic (what a way to call it) and smoked salmon salad.

And the main was fried rice and very tasty prawns in chilli sauce.

Very satisfied, and then delicious dessert came. I was really happy and contented after the whole meal experience.

2 hours later, we descended into BKK, an hour behind schedule and half an hour before my next flight's STD. I was then beginning to feel anxious that my 747 would not wait for me because there is another BOM flight 2 hours after that to which they could reassign me to. That would be a big anticlimax because the next flight would be on TG's ancient 2-3-2 layout which i think would be 90s style recliners.

BKK is actually still very much a 747-frequent airport. Even that afternoon, I spotted Lufthansa's, El Al's, and at least 4 or 5 of Thai's.

To make my connection even tighter, we disembarked from bus gate that afternoon. And there were all these vans which apparently were for passengers whose connection was even tighter in less than 15 min or even had past the STD.

Next to us was a very beautiful 747-400.

I was shuffled to the bus. They told me Mumbai flight was delayed an hour. Ah... I see.

So off we were to the terminal building to join a large group of Chinese arrival who 'blocked' the way up.

It was a Long walk to The Central portion of the Terminal and equally as long beyond that point to the C gates from where my flight would depart that evening.

There were plenty of Golf carts but no staff around.

Since the onward flight was delayed, I dropped by the Royal Silk Spa which is one of the most awesome things offered by TG. I had been here before as a First Class passenger and that was one of the highlight of TG - a one hour Thai or Oil massage in a private room.

As business passenger, I was entitled to a complimentary 15 minute shoulder OR foot massage. And I chose the latter.

I didn't have much time after the massage and I headed straight to my gate without dropping by the lounge.

SQueeze
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:32 am

Part 2: The 747

Airline: Thai Airways
Flight: TG317
Seat: 2K
Class: Business on F class cabin
Load: 100%
Type: 747-40@ (HS-TGA)

When I reached the gate, it was full of people. Looks like the 747 would have been full for sure.

I took a peep to our 747. This would have the older F class seats with 10 seats. And I had picked window seat 2K. It was then not boarding yet although we were already past the new scheduled departure time.

When boarding started some 20 minutes later, I was quite stunned to realise we were not going to the 747 at the gate but was to a bus. What??? Am I going to get TG-ed to a 777? I should not think so because my assigned seats remain as 2F.

Awhile later, we arrived at another 747 and we would embark grandly through stairs! Great!

And when I entered the cabin, I couldn't believe my luck. It was the new cabin! The 9-seater F.

I couldn't be more elated. I was disappointed with their A380 but this is fantastic. It is more private, more polished, more refined, definitely more class with the timber accents which perfectly pair with the overall orchid burgundy colour scheme and the beautiful yellow blanket.

My seat was 2K - stylishly signed at the door.

A beautiful touch : the orchid, TG's signature flower.

Lots of compartments.

And also a private storage for jackets.

Seat controls are by using touch screen in monitor or by pressing. They are side by side so I am not sure why they would design it this way. I guess one is easier to use in the dark?

It's quite private although there are no doors. When one is seated, nobody else is in the line of sight.

Magazine rack is in the centre of the cabin.

In each suite, we are also provided with these reading material.

Amenity kit - something not given out on SQ.

Menu card (business class)

Well, overall, it has so far felt quite First Class-y :) :occasion14:

The senior cabin crew was fantastic. She went round with our orders.

Here's what I got before take off. It was non alcoholic but I can't recall what. Thai's special fruit punch I think.

And here's what I got after take off.

Again, not coordinated well with the amuse bouche - samosas. This was my second round. I had to ask for a refill to pair.

And then the main meal came and it was plated very well.

Fantastic seafood and beef combo. I didn't know it would have paired well.

And after the appetiser was finished, it was replaced by the main. I had actually ordered the cod from the menu but she made a mistake and gave me the chicken curry instead. But it was delicious and I was not complaining at all.

Dessert was a trio of fruits, western and eastern selections. And this was the only choice.

After that, I walked around a little bit.

And I took a peep at the large side galley with a view... what a waste of window space.

After that it was time to rest, and I played with the seat reclines. I love this seat. Definitely countless times better than the bland A380 version. Even the calf/foot padding here is very special - soft and comforting.

And so that was how I got TG-ed up to something better than what I paid for. Thank you TG for the experience.

pokfur

Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Hi SQueeze! :wave:

Lovely report and lucky you to get the new 747 F! I'm half-glad TG chose to retire the A346s and keep these, but of course it'd have been better if they had kept both. The A346 is possibly even more rare than the 747...

The 787 J product looks adequate as you say for a regional flight; makes me wonder what SQ is going to put onto it's new tranche of regional A350s and 787-10s.

The food looks good although I wish TG could present the food in a slightly more upmarket way rather than making it resemble a replated Economy meal! How about a non-rectangular main dish plate instead? :D

Now you've got me wanting to fly TG again; last I flew was back in 2014. I'm especially craving the upper deck of a 747... :scratchchin:

Are the 787s and A350s regularly scheduled to Singapore or were you TG-ed too?

pokfur

SQueeze
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks for dropping by, Pokfur

I thought where have you disappeared. Havent seen much of you here lately.

Indeed I think 747s are not as rare as it seems to us Singaporeans. Plenty of those are still flying with BA and TG in LHR and BKK.

The F&B presentation is indeed not too classy but their food is awesome.

787s and A350s are regularly rostered on Singapore routes - taking a break from the long haul overnights.

hirofumi

Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi SQueeze - a great review! You seem to love India a lot (unless you're visiting here for business)!

I have recently traveled KUL-BKK-DEL and the menu for both the flights was exactly the same as in your case and chose the same main dishes :-) I preferred the KUL-BKK meal better. Lucky you got the newer 744. I flew once on F seat as J for BKK-DEL on an older version, but the newer one looks really nice.

By the way allow me to make small corrections - you get 30mins massage at Royal Orchid Spa as Business passenger. Also, that appetizer for BKK-BOM is actually combined with duck. The menu was exactly the same (including the main choices) as 3yrs ago!

N644US

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:25 am

How did you manage to book this? Looking at dummy bookings TG only seems to be selling Y and J when I look up SIN-BKK-BOM, even on the 744...
Aviation: the field where (almost) anything can be solved using math and science.

theobcman

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Brilliant report. Great mix of aircraft and cabins. Is the A350 report still to come ?

theobcman

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:22 pm

N644US wrote:
How did you manage to book this? Looking at dummy bookings TG only seems to be selling Y and J when I look up SIN-BKK-BOM, even on the 744...

I think the poster states : "They open their First Class cabin to Business Class passengers"

pokfur

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:42 am

SQueeze wrote:

Haha! Since I started work, my traveling has become more standard - just SQ here there everywhere (not a bad thing!!) but because it's nothing out of the ordinary so I don't write TRs.

Recently I flew SQ F to LHR and wanted to write about that but in the end I was TG-ed (haha!) with an old F plane, and was struck with diarrhea and vomiting the entire flight so it ended up being rather miserable and nothing to write about. Couldn't enjoy the flight at all and wanted to just get off and sleep in a hotel.

I'm still mildly annoyed that I missed out on the new F which I have yet to try! :banghead:

SQueeze
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:13 am

N644US wrote:

I bought J and picked the seats in the nose cabin. Very limited availability though as half of it is blocked.

hirofumi wrote:
Hi SQueeze - a great review! You seem to love India a lot (unless you're visiting here for business)!

I have recently traveled KUL-BKK-DEL and the menu for both the flights was exactly the same as in your case and chose the same main dishes :-) I preferred the KUL-BKK meal better. Lucky you got the newer 744. I flew once on F seat as J for BKK-DEL on an older version, but the newer one looks really nice.

By the way allow me to make small corrections - you get 30mins massage at Royal Orchid Spa as Business passenger. Also, that appetizer for BKK-BOM is actually combined with duck. The menu was exactly the same (including the main choices) as 3yrs ago!

Hirofumi,

I love India and I have much work there's it's both!

Yes, my error on the menu and spa allowance. It was duck indeed. And the spa was 30 minutes. i find the shoulder massage better than the foot massage but the foot was good as well.

theobcman wrote:
Brilliant report. Great mix of aircraft and cabins. Is the A350 report still to come ?

Yes it will. It's a different product with an interesting shoulder strap.

pokfur wrote:
SQueeze wrote:

Haha! Since I started work, my traveling has become more standard - just SQ here there everywhere (not a bad thing!!) but because it's nothing out of the ordinary so I don't write TRs.

Recently I flew SQ F to LHR and wanted to write about that but in the end I was TG-ed (haha!) with an old F plane, and was struck with diarrhea and vomiting the entire flight so it ended up being rather miserable and nothing to write about. Couldn't enjoy the flight at all and wanted to just get off and sleep in a hotel.

I'm still mildly annoyed that I missed out on the new F which I have yet to try! :banghead:

Ooopos. Food poisoning on the flight is worst thing that could happen. What was the culprit? Lucky it was the F class toilet. Otherwise, really poor thing the other pax to share that toilet with you . :D

TG New F semi suite is their best product. There are more of it than the non refurbished ones. 6 vs 3. I checked because I was wondering how could I be so lucky because I have my return flight to SIN TG-ed up again to New F. :D

Where are you Travelling to mostly on SQ for work?

N644US

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:55 am

@SQueeze, where'd you get those plush seals from? I see them in every trip report yet can never find them, and am leaving for Japan in a couple weeks and hope I can find them there...
Aviation: the field where (almost) anything can be solved using math and science.

CollegeAviator

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:13 am

What a roller-coaster of a trip report!

I'm glad you managed to make the B747 flight, lucky you with the delay and swap!

Impressive product on board Thai Airways, its an airline I would surely like to try sooner than later.

The First Class on the B747 looks absolutely GRAND!

Thanks for sharing this!

Regards
CollegeAviator

pokfur

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:00 am

Eh! I'm so sorry i didn't realised you replied haha. Thank goodness A.net now has this little bell at the top right corner to highlight to us...

SQueeze wrote:

Ooopos. Food poisoning on the flight is worst thing that could happen. What was the culprit? Lucky it was the F class toilet. Otherwise, really poor thing the other pax to share that toilet with you . :D

Haha the culprit was a panna cotta that I had the night before at SGN airport. Sigh. Even food at their airport cannot be trusted.

SQueeze wrote:
TG New F semi suite is their best product. There are more of it than the non refurbished ones. 6 vs 3. I checked because I was wondering how could I be so lucky because I have my return flight to SIN TG-ed up again to New F. :D

Aha lucky you! Hm yes i better catch a 744 before they disappear.

SQueeze wrote:
Where are you Travelling to mostly on SQ for work?

SGN, HAN, and MNL. Yep that's about it. Which explains why I don't have great choices when it comes to airlines. Heh.

pokfur

LondonCity

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:42 pm

TG B787. "TG doesn't run this aircraft on long routes."

Not true. TG is already using the B787 BKK-FCO and it will be rostered for other European routes too.