Topic Author

Port Elizabeth to Cape Town with SA Express

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:13 pm

South African Express

Bombardier Dash 8-Q400

ZS-YBZ

Flight date: 6 January 2017

Operating as SA1808 from PLZ to CPT

An enjoyable, but rather turbulent flight, provided by South African Express. This was my first experience with this airline, and overall I was quite satisfied with the service provided. SA Express operates this route several times a day, with a mix of Dash 8s and CRJs.

Since this flight was operated by a turboprop, the boarding went by quickly. We were greeted at the door by a cheerful flight attendant, and I quickly made my way to my seat at the second to last row. For some reason, I wasn't able to check-in online for this flight, so I was quite happy I got a window seat. The morning flight had been cancelled, which meant that this flight was 100% full.

The doors were soon shut, and a quick safety demonstration was given. Before I knew it we took off from runway 08. It was a very bumpy take-off, as strong winds in Port Elizabeth are quite common. No wonder they call it The Windy City. Soon after take-off the two flight attendants started their inflight service. It consisted of two bags of a nut mix and beverages. Water, juices, sodas, tea, coffee and wine was provided. The inflight magazine called Indwe was a great read. I especially liked the interview with a crew member. There were some very funny stories in that article. The leg-room on this flight was very good, and the seat was comfortable for this short flight of approximately 1 hour 20 minutes to Cape Town. Considering the bumpy take-off, I prepared myself for a somewhat turbulent flight. To my surprise it was quite calm most of the way, which provided us with a smooth flight at cruising altitude. The approach brought some great views of suburban Cape Town, but just like in Port Elizabeth, the winds were quite strong. It was quite bumpy during the approach, and at one point I was kind of hoping for a go-around. However, the pilot in command steadied the plane well right before touchdown.

Disembarking the plane went by quickly, and a bus transported us from the plane to the terminal. During the walk from to the bus I spotted a DC-8, much to my delight, although it was sad to see it in two pieces. Overall, it was a very nice flight with South African Express. The crew were reserved, yet very professional. I wouldn't hesitate to fly them again in the southern parts of Africa.

Footage with highlights from the flight can be seen in the link below. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpwyBTMa3l0

eastafspot

Re: Port Elizabeth to Cape Town with SA Express

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:24 am

Have you been to the Garden Route NP? What is nice to see around P-E?
Seems like you got lucky to have a window seat..
Thanks for sharing
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Air Uganda, Kenya Airways and Rwandair...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki

ILoveFigures
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:49 am

eastafspot wrote:
Thanks for sharing

You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it. No, I didn't do the Garden Route. I only went to PE because I wanted to see something other than Johannesburg/Soweto and Cape Town. And of course to catch some domestic flights with both SA Express and Comair :)

PE is a good place to start game viewing. In the city itself, I would recommend Dunkin Reserve, Alexandra Dune Fields, and just sprawling along the beach. Bayworld is also worth a visit. :)

northsouthnomad

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:42 pm

ILoveFigures wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
Thanks for sharing

You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it. No, I didn't do the Garden Route. I only went to PE because I wanted to see something other than Johannesburg/Soweto and Cape Town. And of course to catch some domestic flights with both SA Express and Comair :)

PE is a good place to start game viewing. In the city itself, I would recommend Dunkin Reserve, Alexandra Dune Fields, and just sprawling along the beach. Bayworld is also worth a visit. :)

Pity you missed out on Durban. I fly out there once a year to soak up there mix of cultures (Asian/African/European) and hence fantastic mix of foods.

ILoveFigures
Topic Author

Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 am

northsouthnomad wrote:
ILoveFigures wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
Thanks for sharing

Pity you missed out on Durban. I fly out there once a year to soak up there mix of cultures (Asian/African/European) and hence fantastic mix of foods.

I will have Durban in mind the next time I go.