ojas
Topic Author

In one world I take oranges to Arabia; Qatar Airways QR591 Nagpur to Doha

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:05 pm

Background:-

As much as I try to avoid, my trips to this city are inevitable as a host of relatives stay there and it had been a while since I had last seen my grandparents. After a quick visit, it was time to head back. I was curious to review an international flight out of this city and Qatar Airways was the only one of the two options I had!

This city is that I refer to is Nagpur one of the 13 destinations in India that Qatar Airways operates to (out of compulsion but lets keep that for some other thread!). This is Qatar airways' second attempt at Nagpur which begun on 01DEC15 and the first being from 28OCT07 to 13MAY09. The other international airline operating to Nagpur is Air Arabia from its hub Sharjah. Nagpur Airport begun international operations in 2005 and Air Arabia was the inaugurating carrier for it.

So lets begin

I finished with a wedding reception party at 2300hrs and went over to my uncles place, decided to have a few drinks on the terrace on a chilly winter night. His house being just behind the airport ensure I had real time information of when my flight would land.

Flight Details:-

Departure Airport: Nagpur, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport
Arrival Airport: Doha, Hamad International Airport
QR 591 Nagpur - Doha 0255 0505

Blocktime: 4hrs 40mins
Aircraft: A320

At 0125hrs we saw an aircraft on short finals and given this airport barely has any night movements, it was obvious that this was the QR 590 inbound from Doha. A quick verification was done on flightradar24 and we begun our journey to the airport. To summarize, I left the my uncles place at 0130hrs and at 0150hrs I was at the boarding gate having completed the journey to the airport, baggage screening, check in, immigration and security check. The check in was quick, noticed bags tagged to LHR, DOH, DXB, KWI, BAH, ATL, LAX, DFW, IAD, CAI et al.

Gate: 9
Seat: 22D

Occupancy:

Business Class: 4/12
Economy Class: 87/132

Actual Departure Time: 0250hrs
Actual Take off Time: 0255hrs

Actual Landing Time: 0432hrs
Actual Arrival Time: 0448hrs
Flying Time: 4hrs 5mins

Guess he coudn't find his seat

The below pictures are of the safety video. Pretty cool way of making the otherwise routine safety video.

The inflight experience was good and thankfully uneventful. We had a nice set of crew, a good IFE drinks refills and a decent meal. The crew seems to have been indoctrinated to praise the "state of the art Hamad international airport" at every instance it could find. The meal quality though seems to have deteriorated the last time I flew QR to Singapore, no menu cards were distributed unlike my last trip on them.

Verdict:-

A nice journey with a very nice crew on the flight, a neat and well maintained aircraft with good IFE selection just ensured that the journey would be comfortable.The big disappointment was the meal and beverage offerings, which were below par and poor quality. Otherwise would rate it a 8/10 experience.

Thanks for reading, comments always appreciated.

Regards,
Ojas Purandare
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

SR 103

Re: In one world I take oranges to Arabia; Qatar Airways QR591 Nagpur to Doha

Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:51 pm

Great trip report as always Ojas. It always good to hear you had a great flight with QR.

The new safety video is entertaining, you are right. I also recall from my last few flights that the crew always used the words "tate of the art Hamad international airport." However I have to say at the end of the day, I would much rather transit through DOH than either DXB or AUH.

hirofumi

Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:53 pm

Nice it's interesting to see Nagpur Airport! I never expected international flights would operate from there! It's amazing how many secondary airports in India are on the rise for international departures. Was Doha your final destination?

ojas
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:38 pm

SR 103 wrote:
Great trip report as always Ojas. It always good to hear you had a great flight with QR.

The new safety video is entertaining, you are right. I also recall from my last few flights that the crew always used the words "tate of the art Hamad international airport." However I have to say at the end of the day, I would much rather transit through DOH than either DXB or AUH.

Thanks a lot. I too prefer to transit via Doha over Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

hirofumi wrote:
Nice it's interesting to see Nagpur Airport! I never expected international flights would operate from there! It's amazing how many secondary airports in India are on the rise for international departures. Was Doha your final destination?

Thanks, these small airports give a different feeling altogether. My final destination was Dubai.

CollegeAviator

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:49 am

Hi Ojas, thank you very much for sharing this report!

-Nice to see pictures from NAG: haven't been there in a while.
-Their product looks decent on the A320.
-I too flew Qatar Airways recently (my first time with them!), and the crew made every effort to make their 'State of the art Hamad International Airport', while also sliding in a 'Your gateway to the world'. That said, HIA isn't that bad of an airport to spend 17 hours in....

Regards
CollegeAviator

Ytraveller

Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:02 am

Thanks for this report on a secondary airport in India - nice to see the pictures.

I travel regularly between LAS and India, and QR has announced intentions to serve LAS. Amazing the number and diversity of destinations I will be able to fly to if that becomes a reality.

ojas
Topic Author

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:02 am

CollegeAviator wrote:
Hi Ojas, thank you very much for sharing this report!

-Nice to see pictures from NAG: haven't been there in a while.
-Their product looks decent on the A320.
-I too flew Qatar Airways recently (my first time with them!), and the crew made every effort to make their 'State of the art Hamad International Airport', while also sliding in a 'Your gateway to the world'. That said, HIA isn't that bad of an airport to spend 17 hours in....

Regards
CollegeAviator

Thanks,

Yes the QR A320, even in J class. This was still the older seats, the newer are even better. Yes the new Doha airport is a pleasant place to transit through

Ytraveller wrote:
Thanks for this report on a secondary airport in India - nice to see the pictures.

I travel regularly between LAS and India, and QR has announced intentions to serve LAS. Amazing the number and diversity of destinations I will be able to fly to if that becomes a reality.

Thanks.

Indeed a LAS - DOH will get good connectivity to Indian subcontinent and Middle East.

AirIndia

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:55 am

Nice TR Ojas. Good to see NAG, havent been there for ages.

I spent 7 years growing up in NAG and my memories include going frequesntly to recieve my dad from his business trips. At the time there were no baggage belts and thus pot arrival all pax had to go and find their bags from a pile. This part was not airside and i wa able to go with dad and catch glimpses of the IC 732s. I was in nagpur when the 707 made an emergency landing in 1991 and dad took me the airport to show the parked 707. I believe its still there rusting for 2.5 decades.

hkore

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:25 am

Enjoyed reading your report... Look forward to more.

Spiderguy252

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:35 am

Hi Ojas,

Nice report and thanks for the share! Can you elaborate on the crew plugging Hamad Intl? Etihad are more or less the same with their "Fly to 100 destinations/Ride our modern fleet from our home in Abu Dhabi", although the airport isn't explicitly mentioned.
Vahroone

ojas
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:50 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:
Hi Ojas,

Nice report and thanks for the share! Can you elaborate on the crew plugging Hamad Intl? Etihad are more or less the same with their "Fly to 100 destinations/Ride our modern fleet from our home in Abu Dhabi", although the airport isn't explicitly mentioned.

Thanks,

Oh the QR crew just go about marketing their airport and any mention of Doha is "State of the art hamad international airport .. your gateway to the world" and all that. It was the same in 2015 as well, when I had flown to Singapore from Doha.

hkore wrote:
Enjoyed reading your report... Look forward to more.

Thank you.

AirIndia wrote:
Nice TR Ojas. Good to see NAG, havent been there for ages.

I spent 7 years growing up in NAG and my memories include going frequesntly to recieve my dad from his business trips. At the time there were no baggage belts and thus pot arrival all pax had to go and find their bags from a pile. This part was not airside and i wa able to go with dad and catch glimpses of the IC 732s. I was in nagpur when the 707 made an emergency landing in 1991 and dad took me the airport to show the parked 707. I believe its still there rusting for 2.5 decades.

Thanks.

I remember those days. Till around 1993 or 1994 the case was the same, no baggage belts .. just go and pick your bag from the mess. The B707 still seems to be stuck there.

9w748capt

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:17 am

Nice to see - both of my parents hail from Nagpur so have been there many times (even did a TR around a decade ago!).

Just curious since you're EK's spokesman here - any interest from the rest of the ME3 in serving NAG?

ojas
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:49 am

9w748capt wrote:
Nice to see - both of my parents hail from Nagpur so have been there many times (even did a TR around a decade ago!).

Thanks.

9w748capt wrote:
Just curious since you're EK's spokesman here

Me? Spokesman? what makes you think?

9w748capt wrote:
any interest from the rest of the ME3 in serving NAG?

There never was, never is and never will be any interest from any ME carrier serving Nagpur in the near future as like the people, the city too is lazy, full of lethargy and absolutely no interest of doing anything outside their comfort zone. Qatar Airways and Air Arabia were forced to start NAG in lieu of excess capacity elsewhere in the country by Praful Patel a decade ago. Air Arabia is doing fine there being a low cost carrier and operating 4 weekly flights. QR is operating so that it can utilise all entitlements and ask for more seats.

karan69

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:31 am

A nice read Ojas

A rare write up of QR 320 service on a sector which entails a full hot meal unlike the usual shuttles like DOH-DXB

Karan

ojas
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:12 am

karan69 wrote:
A nice read Ojas

Thanks.

karan69 wrote:
A rare write up of QR 320 service on a sector which entails a full hot meal unlike the usual shuttles like DOH-DXB

Karan

True. this was a nice 4 hour long flight!

nagrahul

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:15 am

ojas wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Thanks.

9w748capt wrote:

9w748capt wrote:

There never was, never is and never will be any interest from any ME carrier serving Nagpur in the near future as like the people, the city too is lazy, full of lethargy and absolutely no interest of doing anything outside their comfort zone. Qatar Airways and Air Arabia were forced to start NAG in lieu of excess capacity elsewhere in the country by Praful Patel a decade ago. Air Arabia is doing fine there being a low cost carrier and operating 4 weekly flights. QR is operating so that it can utilise all entitlements and ask for more seats.

Thats rather uncharitable of you to say….I am pretty sure NAG it isn’t the first choice for any carrier, but loads have actually been pretty decent. AFAIK, above 70% although prone to huge seasonal variations. Granted there isn’t much business traffic, but dont forget there’s a huge number of hard-working non-residents who need to visit the lazy ones from time to time :-)!
Also Nagpurians are travelling abroad on holiday like never before….that combined with VFR, inbound Tiger traffic into the national parks and the Muslim population from Vidarbha, MP, CG and northern Telangana who travel on Umrah/Hajj ensures a steady flow of outbound and limited inbound traffic round the year. One of the leading travel agents from the area told me the figure of passengers who travel to the West (ME+Europe+US) from Nagpur is approx 1000 pax per week, and the bulk of these travel on QR & G9.

9w748capt

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:09 am

ojas wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Thanks.

9w748capt wrote:

9w748capt wrote:

Just curious - are you from Nagpur? Or elsewhere?

nagrahul

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:53 am

Yes am from Nagpur....and QR is already a lifeline of sorts for many frequent traveller from the region....myself included. So when I read this TR, it finally woke me up and I decided to become a member after being a voyeur on airliners.net for over 15 years!

ojas
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:11 am

nagrahul wrote:
Thats rather uncharitable of you to say….I am pretty sure NAG it isn’t the first choice for any carrier, but loads have actually been pretty decent. AFAIK, above 70% although prone to huge seasonal variations. Granted there isn’t much business traffic, but dont forget there’s a huge number of hard-working non-residents who need to visit the lazy ones from time to time :-)!

Good to know, unfortunately the numbers suggest otherwise.

nagrahul wrote:
Also Nagpurians are travelling abroad on holiday like never before….that combined with VFR, inbound Tiger traffic into the national parks and the Muslim population from Vidarbha, MP, CG and northern Telangana who travel on Umrah/Hajj ensures a steady flow of outbound and limited inbound traffic round the year. One of the leading travel agents from the area told me the figure of passengers who travel to the West (ME+Europe+US) from Nagpur is approx 1000 pax per week, and the bulk of these travel on QR & G9.

The traffic profile out of NAG is middle east only. with seasonal numbers from USA and UK in December and June.

nagrahul

Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:20 am

I wonder where you are getting your numbers from? I got mine from the AAI website, and 110000 annual passengers against a capacity of ~150000 seems to suggest a load of 70-75% to me!

INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS
NAGPUR (MIPL)
FEB 2017 7578
Feb 2016 7152
% Change: 6.0
YTD 2016-17 101776
YTD 2015-16 66413
% Change: 53.2

ojas wrote:
Good to know, unfortunately the numbers suggest otherwise.