kann123air
Topic Author

American A321T Flagship First Experience: FSM-DFW-LAX-SFO-JFK

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:58 am

Hi everyone!

Welcome to my first trip report of 2016! This report chronicles my first trip of the summer, which was from my hometown airport (FSM) to New York JFK.
A bit of a background first – I graduated from high school in May of this year, and as a bit of a gift for this and for receiving the Honors College Fellowship (which provides a full ride for four years) to the University of Arkansas starting in the fall, my parents decided to treat me with a trip to the northeast to visit family. Now, being an avgeek, I, of course, did not take the easiest, fastest route possible. Instead, I craftily built a multi-segment, multi-reservation itinerary. After spending hours on aa.com trying to satisfy my quest for fun as well as my wallet, I was able to book a multi-city itinerary (FSM-DFW-LAX, PHL-DFW-FSM) by paying for Y tickets while spending 32,500 miles on F seats on LAX-SFO-JFK.
I graduated on May 20th , and after reaching home at approximately 12:30am, I slept for about two and a half hours before waking up at 3am for my 5am departure. My dad was on the same flight, as he was headed to Belize, leading a nature tour with a bunch of students.
ImageDSC_0 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Of course, a big thanks to gcmap.com for this.
We reached FSM at about 3:45am, and after a quick goodbye to Mom, Dad and I stood in line to get our boarding passes, as FSM does not have a mobile boarding pass scanner yet. I then realized I had no checked bags, so I trotted off to a kiosk to get my boarding passes. After getting my FSM-DFW-LAX passes, I waved to Dad, who was still stuck in line, and told him I’d see him in the secure area. :)
ImageDSC_5800 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
It’s time to go!
Well, boarding began, and I still saw no sign of Dad. I knew he’d be okay and was probably running a bit late, so I went ahead and boarded without him. He had about 15 students with him, so I knew AA would hold the aircraft for a bit of necessary.
Flight #1
Route: FSM-DFW
Flight number: American Eagle (Mesa Airlines) flight 5715
Aircraft: Canadair CRJ-900LR
Push-back time: 5:19am
Arrival time: 6:02am
Flying time: 43 minutes
Seat: 17A

Soon enough, Dad boarded, and took his seat (17C). He promptly fell asleep, while I gazed out the window and admired the beautiful winglet of our CR9 in the darkness. We pushed back, and taxied all the way down Alpha for a runway 7 departure. Soon enough, we roared down the runway, and my fun day of flying had begun!
ImageDSC_5801 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Shortly after takeoff
ImageDSC_5802 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Sunrise from FL260
After a rather uneventful flight, we touched down at DFW. I listened to LiveATC the whole time and heard as “Air Shuttle fifty-seven-fifteen” pulled off the runway and taxied to the gate.
ImageDSC_5803 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
On short final now
ImageDSC_5804 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Good morning, DFW!
ImageDSC_5805 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
I’ll see ya later, N904FJ
I then checked flightstats.com to see what aircraft would be operating my next flight, AA2401 to LAX. To my delight, an equipment change had occurred, and instead of flying on N127AA, I was going to ride on one of the newest A321Ss in the fleet, N158AN!
ImageDSC_5814 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
A partial overview of my most favorite terminal at my favorite airport on this Saturday morning
ImageDSC_5818 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Looks like the sun has risen over part of the airfield…
Dad grabbed breakfast for me at McDonalds while I waited to board at gate D31.
ImageDSC_5819 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5820 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Well hello, beautiful
Shortly afterwards, I said goodbye to Dad, and boarded my second flight of the day!
Flight #2
Route: DFW-LAX
Flight number: American Airlines #2401
Aircraft: Airbus A321S
Push-back time: 7:26am
Arrival time: 8:18am
Flying time: 2 hours 52 minutes
Seat: 30F
ImageDSC_5825 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Fairly decent legroom onboard this one month old bird
ImageDSC_5826 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
This was my first flight on the A321S, and only my second on the A321 series
ImageDSC_5827 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
LOVE the AVOD on AA’s new birds!
We eventually pushed back, and taxied to the runway. I saw AA’s new safety video for the first time. There were no significant differences; now, there’s a cool little intro and ending, and the background music has changed. After receiving clearance for takeoff, we did a southerly departure and promptly banked hard to the right after takeoff.
ImageDSC_5833 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5836 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
I ate my breakfast at around this time, and I believe I got an orange juice from the F/A. I was pleasantly surprised to be served biscoff cookies as well.
ImageDSC_5841 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Passing a widget-tailed bird while at FL340
I played around with the AVOD for a while, and although it wasn’t fantastic by any means, it killed time. It wasn’t very responsive, but I was pleased with all the available items for free, including many popular TV shows and music selections. There were also several recently-released movies available at no cost. After spending some time playing with the AVOD, I closed my eyes for what seemed like a short amount of time, and when I opened them, we were just a few minutes out of LAX.
ImageDSC_5853 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Ahh… I love the approach into LAX!
ImageDSC_5859 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
We did a couple of turns that I had never experienced before. I correctly guessed that this was to realign our aircraft for a 24L (instead of the more common 25R for AA) approach.
ImageDSC_5865 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Passing some interesting cloud formations on final
ImageDSC_5868 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
”American twenty-four-oh-one, cleared to land runway two-four-left”
A few moments later, we had a smooth touchdown, and my first ever arrival on the north complex was complete.
ImageDSC_5875 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
[i]Pulling off 24L

After passing by TBIT, we taxied east towards T4. I got some nice views of 25R departures.
ImageDSC_5883 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5884 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Now pulling into gate 47B
I soon disembarked and walked into T4. It had been two years since I had last entered this terminal. I headed straight for the bathroom, but I noticed a relatively long line for the stalls. I quickly decided that the wait wasn’t worth it, and I headed for the AAdmirals Club. After flashing my SFO-JFK boarding pass to the receptionist, I was given a key to the Flagship Lounge and welcomed in. It was my first time entering an AAdmirals Club, and wow, I was spellbound! My first stop was the restroom, and boy, it was pretty great.
ImageDSC_5886 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
The AAdmirals Club has a nice view of TBIT, which was occupied with a couple of stars-and-bars tails at the time.
ImageDSC_5888 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
The food area
ImageDSC_5891 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5892 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5889 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
This part of the lounge faces east, overlooking T5
ImageDSC_5890 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
I like the password!
I then decided to try out the Flagship Lounge. I entered and showed the receptionist my key. She seemed to be suspicious for some reason; after handing her my key, she asked me for my last name and flight number, while waiving through other people with similar keys. After typing something into her computer, she let me in.
ImageDSC_5892(2) by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
I grabbed a small bite to eat here. Food in the Flagship Lounge is free.
About an hour and fifteen minutes before my flight to SFO, I reluctantly left the lounge and headed for the shuttle to AA’s remote terminal, unofficially referred to as the “Eagle’s nest”. The gate numbers at this terminal had recently been renamed from 44A-J to 60A-J, so this caused some confusion among passengers who were transiting along with me. Having done my research beforehand, I showed my boarding pass to the agent at the bus stop, boarded my bus without any problem, and enjoyed the fabulous views from the shuttle.
ImageDSC_5893 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Hello, gorgeous!
ImageDSC_5896 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5900 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Ahh… This logo is a relic of the past
I quickly realized that the remote terminal was quite barren, with no good views or places to eat. However, I had read about the recently-opened AAdmirals club there, and I decided to pay it a visit. I entered the lounge sporting my American Airlines hat, and the receptionist jokingly said that I was allowed to enter just with the hat. I laughed, and showed her my SFO-JFK mobile boarding pass. She gave me a warm welcome and let me in.
Being about the size of my living room, the lounge wasn’t large by any means, but hey, I guess having a lounge in a ten-gate terminal is impressive in the first place. I ordered a Pellegrino and relaxed on one of the couches. I then got up for a while and admired the photos of the wall of AA’s ops at LAX from a couple of decades ago.
ImageDSC_5901 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
After about half an hour of chilling in the lounge, it was time to go! I went to gate 60C only to see that my flight was slightly delayed due to a member of the crew not showing up. No big deal, I had a long layover in SFO anyway. After waiting for a little longer, we finally began the boarding process.
Flight #3
Route: LAX-SFO
Flight number: American Airlines (Compass Airlines) #5920
Aircraft: Embrear ERJ-175
Push-back time: 11:14am
Arrival time: 12:17pm
Flying time: 1 hour 3 minutes
Seat: 2A
ImageDSC_5902 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5903 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Boarding through a pretty bare-bones jetbridge.
ImageDSC_5907 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
After getting to my seat, I realized that I left my AA cap in the terminal! I asked the F/A if I could go back and get it, and she let me. I quickly ran down through the jetbridge (against the flow of traffic), retrieved it, and came back to my seat.
ImageDSC_5904 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Our neighbor this morning, N214NN
Our captain came on the PA and said that our departure was further delayed due to low clouds over SFO. After another 20 minute wait, we finally pushed back from the gate, and taxied to the north complex, once again giving me some great views of 25L/R ops.
ImageDSC_5910 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Passing by N717AN, AA’s very first 77W
ImageDSC_5917 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5919 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Former rivals, now one!
ImageDSC_5920 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
After taxiing over to the north complex, we pulled off the taxiway and waited for another ten minutes due to ATC congestion. Eventually, we rejoined the line for 24L departures.
ImageDSC_5929 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
I recorded the takeoff from 24L. Below is the YouTube link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iS8PS1ZaNA
After banking hard to the right over Dockweiler Beach, we continued to ascend for a little while until we reached our cruising altitude. I then was served a small snack.
ImageDSC_5905 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
After a pretty uneventful flight, we began the typical approach into SFO’s 28s.
ImageDSC_5933 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5936 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Oh hello, Coyote Point Park
ImageDSC_5938 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Seconds away from touchdown now
ImageDSC_5940 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Hiya, San Fran
ImageDSC_5942 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Saying goodbye to 219 with a Snapchat story
After disembarking, I headed to the AAdmirals Club. Upon entering, I was given a coupon for a free drink, standard for First Class transcon passengers.
The AAdmirals Club had nice views of SFO 28 ops. I saw many A380s and 747-400s in action!
ImageDSC_5943 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5944 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5946 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Hello, where are you headed?
ImageDSC_5946(2) by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Oh
ImageDSC_5947 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Tracking Dad’s flight to BZE
ImageDSC_5951 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Nice wingflex!
ImageDSC_5952 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Soon enough, my A321T arrived from JFK! I got to see her gracefully reverse on one of the 28s and slowly taxi over to our terminal.
ImageDSC_5953 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5954 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5955 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Looks like ship 106 will be flying me to JFK tonight…
After relaxing for about twenty more minutes, I left the AAdmirals Club and headed for gate 58A.
ImageDSC_5957 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
It’s time to go!
ImageDSC_5959 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
I was among the first to board
Now more than ever, moving forward with the new American.

kann123air
Topic Author

Re: American A321T Flagship First Experience: FSM-DFW-LAX-SFO-JFK

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:59 am

Flight #4
Route: SFO-JFK
Flight number: American Airlines #20
Aircraft: Airbus A321 Transcontinental
Push-back time: 3:21pm PDT
Arrival time: 11:21pm EDT
Flying time: 5 hours
Seat: 3F

I asked the F/A for a quick look inside the cockpit, and after considering my request for a few moments, he obliged! I was quite happy. The captain and F/O were kind enough to describe several aspects of the A321T’s modern flight deck, and I thanked them profusely before heading to my seat, 3A.
ImageDSC_5960 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5961 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Settling into 3F now
The F/A who had let me into the cockpit came around to each one of us and introduced himself as Ron Forte, senior purser onboard our flight that evening. He asked us what we would like to drink before takeoff, and I asked him for a coke. I told him that this flight was a graduation gift from my parents, and I had been looking forward to it for months. His response: “oh don’t worry buddy, we’re going to feed you very well!” I was quite happy at the moment!
Ron’s announcement welcoming us onboard: www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Rzsl-F4nE
ImageDSC_5962 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Moments after his announcement ended, the safety video played
ImageDSC_5963 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Taxing past this massive beaut
We held short of 28L while a United A320 and Aer Lingus A330 landed. I took videos of both.
United A320: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxIYHF2W_l4
“Shamrock” A330: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcIokrOwyhw
ImageDSC_5964 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Moments later, we roared down 28L and were on our way to Kennedy!
After takeoff, we banked hard to the right, giving me great views of downtown San Francisco, SF Bay, and the Golden Gate and Bay bridges. None of my pictures from this came out well though, as the glare was too much to handle.
ImageDSC_5965 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
A couple of minutes later, Ron came around and handed us hot towels.
ImageDSC_5969 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
He then proceeded to slightly open my tray table
ImageDSC_5970 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
…and then he placed the always-amazing warm nuts and sierra mist on it
Around this time, the captain came on the PA to inform us of our flight status. Video below:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNfbgQiJZpE
ImageDSC_5972 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_5974 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
I then put my pillow away and got ready for the first course
ImageDSC_5977 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
I ordered the smoked salmon dip with toasted garlic baguettes over the other option, burrata cheese with oregano and capers.
ImageDSC_5980 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
It was delicious!
ImageDSC_5983 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
The salad then came, and Ron asked me if I’d like the “boring” balsamic vinaigrette or the “much better” creamy oriental vinaigrette. I obviously chose the oriental one. :)
ImageDSC_5986 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
The main course then came! I had pre-ordered the Wagyu Meatloaf with sriracha ketchup, roasted garlic mashed red potatoes, and caramelized onions. The other options were Shrimp Sliders with Asian aioli and carrot, pineapple, and apricot slaw, and Turmeric Paneer with red tikka curry, jeera rice and roasted two-color cauliflower.
I looked over at 3A’s Turmeric Paneer and wished I had ordered that. It was a much larger portion and looked amazing. Nevertheless, my meatloaf was pretty alright, and I did enjoy it. However, I was not a fan of the sriracha ketchup.
ImageDSC_5987 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Reppin’ my Razorbacks while enjoying my meatloaf
After my meal, I opted to have the famous fresh cappuccino right away, temporarily skipping the ice cream. I did not regret this decision, as it was fantastic.
ImageDSC_5990 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
After my cappuccino, I waited for all the food to settle before I asked for dessert. After about twenty minutes, I asked Ron for my ice cream. He asked me if I’d like hot fudge, butterscotch, or seasonal berry toppings. With a smile, I asked him if I could have all three.
”All three. Got the shebang”
ImageDSC_5994 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Oh boy… Hello, delicious!
ImageDSC_5995(2) by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
After eating, I watched my very first episode of House of Cards. I liked it, and I told myself I’d start watching it on Netflix.
Ron came around and asked each one of us to unplug any device hooked up to the USB port. He said that the AVOD tended to crash when the USB charger was in use. “The issue is endemic to this airplane”, he said. C’mon, ‘106, I thought you were new! :)
ImageDSC_5995 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Around this time, I laid my seat into full lie-flat mode, and closed my eyes for about twenty minutes.
ImageDSC_5996 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Cruising over Hawkeye territory
ImageDSC_5998 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Beautiful sunset outside
A general video displaying the atmosphere of the Flagship First cabin during sunset…
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfiq2sZBBmk
ImageDSC_6001 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Soon, we passed by Chicago. It was a clear night, so I got a great view of the windy city.
ImageDSC_6002 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_6004 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Now crossing Lake Michigan
I took a video of the moving map to show how responsive it was to the touch.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeiVRc0h5Qc
ImageDSC_6005 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
I surely didn’t feel like I had crossed 75% of the continent at that point… I was so comfortable!
ImageDSC_6006 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Warm cookies prior to arrival, standard on transcons
ImageDSC_6007 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Wassup Detroit
ImageDSC_6008 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_6009 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
I requested another cappuccino (my sixth coffee of the day, bad, I know, but keep in mind I had been awake for nearly 18 hours by that point).
ImageDSC_6010(2) by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Ron then came around and offered sparkling water to everyone
ImageDSC_6010 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Enjoying the flight deck mode while wrapped in my cozy cocoon
ImageDSC_6011(2) by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Being a superfan of NBC’s “The Office”, I had to take this picture
ImageDSC_6011 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Rapidly approaching the Big Apple now
Around this time, Ron came around to each one of us and shook our hand, thanking us for flying with American. This continued effort to convey a personal touch impressed me.
ImageDSC_6013 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
We circled over Long Island and came in for a 04R approach
ImageDSC_6015 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Touchdown was fairly smooth, and we began our taxi to T8, gate 1.
ImageDSC_6017 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
ImageDSC_6019 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Passing by B6 tech ops during a mild drizzle
ImageDSC_6021 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
We had to wait at the gate for about five minutes while a gate agent was summoned to open the door to the jetbridge. Upon disembarking, I once again thanked Ron for an enjoyable flight, and said goodbye to the beautiful bird known as N106NN.
I was surprised at how desolate T8 was. Granted, it was 11:30pm, but I thought I’d see more activity than a couple of janitors vacuuming the floor. I walked on the moving walkway toward the exit, double checking every important possession of mine before leaving the secure area.
ImageIMG_2152 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
Desolate, apart from janitors and a couple of stranded passengers huddled against their bags
ImageIMG_2153 by Amrit Kannan, on Flickr
I walked right by this place, as I did not have any checked bags. I headed out the door and met my Uncle after a few minutes of waiting.
And so ended my wonderful and memorable day of flying around the country!
Overall impressions: Two things that really stood out to me were the AAdmirals Club at LAX and the A321T hard product. My experiences with both of these blew me away. AA’s Flagship soft product was quite alright; I felt like Ron did everything he had to do and a little more to make the flight especially enjoyable. I especially appreciated him letting me visit the cockpit, and every mid-flight request I made was promptly catered to. Overall, it was an amazing day that I’ll never forget!
Thanks for reading, and as always, comments are appreciated!
Amrit

yerbol
Crew

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:54 am

Very nice report and thanks for sharing! Brgds, Yerbol
With best regards from Almaty

SonOfABeech

Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:54 pm

Nice trip, I really enjoyed this TR.

usflyer123

Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:06 pm

wow a very nice trip! thanks for sharing.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

SkyTeamTriStar

Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:39 am

From looking at the pic of the Safety Demo lady, Can anybody tell me why AA has yellow scarfs? It baffles me.

ba319-131

Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:28 am

Nice read and pictures, thanks for sharing.

I'm flying JFK-LAX-JFK with AA in F next year, really looking forward to it.

Best Wishes

BA319-131
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

N62NA

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:59 am

A very enthusiastic and fun to read report. Thanks for sharing it!
How come I can't upload an avatar photo to my profile?

mtnwest1979

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:49 am

Nice to see the Eastern 737-800 across the way at SFO.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

kann123air
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:59 pm

Thank you for the nice comments, everyone!

About the Eastern 738, funny story. I thought I had missed photographing it, so when I read the previous comment, I was shocked; I scrolled back through my pictures and I saw that I indeed had caught it! That just made my day, lol. I saw her at MIA last week while flying back from Bermuda. That trip's TR will be up soon, so stay tuned!

Amrit

callmedrewy

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:51 am

I felt like I was flying the entire time in my bedroom. lol.
Great composition and pictures, Amrit!

And congrats on your fellowship to U.Ark. Good luck and blessings to you!

Andrew
AA, AC, DL, JM, KY, US
A300, A310, A319, A320, A321, ERJ-140, ERJ-145, E-190, MD-82, MD-83, MD-88, 727-200, 737-200, 737-800, 747-200, 757-200, 767-200
KIN, MBJ, GCM, MIA, FLL, JAX, TLH, ATL, RDU, DCA, PHL, EWR, JFK, LGA, YYZ

triple7man

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:48 am

Really nice pics. I love SFO Terminal 2 where you can watch the heavies take off. What app do you use for flight tracking?
Have you kissed a 777 today?

kann123air
Topic Author

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the nice comments!

I use planefinder and flightaware. I believe the former is $3, but it is quite worth it if you track individual registrations frequently.

Amrit

cop6369

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:17 am

Nice trip report, I really enjoyed your post. I hope your studies go well for you.