Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Screening - Vik

Wed May 11, 2016 12:50 am

Starting out with some post-screening. Need some help here.

This shot was rejected for dark, and the rejection was upheld on appeal:

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...1991339.4043img_8302cc20160425.jpg

These shots of mine were accepted:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vik S
View Large View Medium

Photo © Vik S

and most similarly:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vik S

Exposing for the bright parts of the aircraft at night isn't something new. Some other great shots by other photographers:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Allen Choi - AHKGAP
View Large View Medium

Photo © Oleg Botov

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

[Edited 2016-05-10 18:50:30]

len90

RE: Screening - Vik

Wed May 11, 2016 1:10 am

Vik,

The WN picture has me pretty stumped as well when you compare it to accepted examples. To me it's brighter than the two other Southwest shots.

The China Airlines I really don't see standing a chance. Even when compared to the Etihad you just don't have any stray lighting hitting the rear of the fuselage.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2016 1:51 am

Quoting len90 (Reply 1):

The China Airlines I really don't see standing a chance. Even when compared to the Etihad you just don't have any stray lighting hitting the rear of the fuselage.

I shouldn't have posted that one - not sure why I did. I just removed it from my post.

Sometimes I'm just typing as I'm thinking....

len90

Wed May 11, 2016 4:12 am

Hey no worries on the China Airlines shot. Sometimes we might even need to see a third opinion to an image to help us realize something differently. When you gave your appeal on the WN did you cite these examples in it to show how it doesn't differ?

Ultimately you don't have room to work with. I quickly looked at it and played with the brightness. Going up beyond 20 in the brightness will lead to an overexposure in the center of the image where those lights are in the background.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2016 5:15 am

Quoting len90 (Reply 3):
When you gave your appeal on the WN did you cite these examples in it to show how it doesn't differ?

I cited the very similar one (photoID 2815644). I usually try and cite similar examples if I have any.

Quoting len90 (Reply 3):
Ultimately you don't have room to work with.

Yep, those nighttime shots are touchy. Took me a long while to develop a feel for how to shoot them and edit them.

airkas1

Wed May 11, 2016 9:02 am

Hi Vik,

Looks fine for me. I know how tricky shots like these are, and judging the photo photo I doubt you could've made it much lighter (like mentioned above). So even though it's no problem for me, DARK was upheld on appeal. Can't do much about that unfortunately.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2016 11:05 am

Thanks Kas and Len. I guess I will continue to be confused.  

Just would be nice to know one way or the other, seeing as most of what I'm uploading these days runs from low-light to extremely-low-light.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Sun May 29, 2016 10:47 pm

Couple questions:

Is the blockage in this rejected photo bad enough to outweigh a new reg?

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...64243028.752img_6978cc20160413.jpg

I did have this one accepted a few weeks ago, which wasn't a new reg:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vik S

Also, how did the DL photo get screened early? I didn't send an email to the priority folks....

airkas1

Mon May 30, 2016 7:47 am

Hi Vik,

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 7):
Is the blockage in this rejected photo bad enough to outweigh a new reg?

The first screener mentioned the pole, after which it can't be unseen and it we usually do reject for motive for something like that. The fact that it is hard to see and a new frame make it a slightly difficult decision. On one hand I'm thinking motive, on the other I'm for some leeway. In the end, I can agree with the rejection since it follows the rules. Maybe Pete can give his opinion on this as well when he comes across this thread.

I did have this one accepted a few weeks ago, which wasn't a new reg:

I understand how this acceptance seems very odd in light of the above. The log for that photo doesn't have any mention of a pole, so I'm thinking that it simply wasn't noticed by the screeners who saw the photo.

Also, how did the DL photo get screened early? I didn't send an email to the priority folks....

The other day, I checked the log randomly and I noticed one of the priority screeners had screened a batch of photos that were all priority eligible. Although only they can tell you the reason with certainty, my guess is that they checked a list of recent deliveries and searched for them in the queue. Subsequently, they were priority screened.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Mon May 30, 2016 10:03 am

Quoting airkas1 (Reply 8):
The first screener mentioned the pole, after which it can't be unseen and it we usually do reject for motive for something like that. The fact that it is hard to see and a new frame make it a slightly difficult decision. On one hand I'm thinking motive, on the other I'm for some leeway. In the end, I can agree with the rejection since it follows the rules. Maybe Pete can give his opinion on this as well when he comes across this thread.

To be fair, I don't disagree with the rejection as such - it's perfectly valid. Just wondering how much leeway is given.

I understand how this acceptance seems very odd in light of the above. The log for that photo doesn't have any mention of a pole, so I'm thinking that it simply wasn't noticed by the screeners who saw the photo.

I figured the screener might have missed it - I frequently miss that particular pole when I'm editing panning shots from that location. I did see it before I uploaded the Virgin America (well, I think I did - not sure actually whether I noticed before or after it was added). But in any case, I was sort of hoping it might have been noticed, and decided it was minor enough.

Speaking of which, if the Virgin America shot should be removed from the DB, no big deal.

The other day, I checked the log randomly and I noticed one of the priority screeners had screened a batch of photos that were all priority eligible. Although only they can tell you the reason with certainty, my guess is that they checked a list of recent deliveries and searched for them in the queue. Subsequently, they were priority screened.

OK, thanks. I tend not to really email for priority for new regs anymore, for a few reasons - mainly that I just don't care enough, unless I think it's something halfway noteworthy. Another DL 739ER just doesn't quite cut it.

len90

Mon May 30, 2016 4:41 pm

Vik, I personally saw the pole on the VA picture and wondered how that got accepted. To me it probably was a miss by the screener. In the end I think the motive/obstruction rule is pretty good. At most half the gear is what I really think is a good line to have. Now is there any way to have that pole removed to prevent any further issues? 

As for both the DL and the VA... Do you have other shots from the sequence where that pole isn't in the way or is it a one and done type of situation

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Mon May 30, 2016 10:11 pm

Len - With low light low shutter speed panning, the keeper rate goes way down. And given that I'll fill up a card very quickly that way, I try not to take TOO many shots per aircraft. So I might take up to 5 or 7 shots for a typical "uninteresting" aircraft, out of which one or two may be OK (and usually one is better). I try to avoid that pole, but it's damn near impossible to see when panning in those conditions.

Long story short, I may have another good shot of those aircraft, or I may not. Probably won't check...

No big deal. Just thought I'd test the limits of accepting minor obstructions that was talked about a couple years ago.

len90

Tue May 31, 2016 2:27 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 11):

Len - With low light low shutter speed panning, the keeper rate goes way down. And given that I'll fill up a card very quickly that way, I try not to take TOO many shots per aircraft. So I might take up to 5 or 7 shots for a typical "uninteresting" aircraft, out of which one or two may be OK (and usually one is better). I try to avoid that pole, but it's damn near impossible to see when panning in those conditions.

Panning shots are an impressive skill. I have to personally find some time to try those out as they truly come out AMAZING.

Long story short, I may have another good shot of those aircraft, or I may not. Probably won't check...

That's ultimately up to you.

No big deal. Just thought I'd test the limits of accepting minor obstructions that was talked about a couple years ago.

It's always worth a shot. Most likely it will come down to the individual screener which is what Kas really showed in his post.

airkas1

Tue May 31, 2016 8:04 am

Quoting len90 (Reply 12):
Most likely it will come down to the individual screener which is what Kas really showed in his post.

Well, not really. I'm pretty sure it was overlooked in his Virgin A320 photo, so in that case it's not really 'allowing it', since there wasn't an active thought process regarding it. But I do admit the pole is hard to see.