Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Pre Screening - Editing Nose Shots (EGTESkyGod)

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:23 pm

Hello again everyone

I have taken this shot below of a Qantas 747. I have never edited an image where there is no sky involved and as such cannot follow the instructions on the website of selecting the whole sky then inverting the selection before sharpening. Therefore I have sharpened the whole image and I quite like this shot so I'd like to see if a) it is good enough for the site or b) what I can do to edit it?

Thanks again guys... I love this forum now I have a camera that has given me shots I can upload!

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/EGTESkyGod/Qantas747fromSYDIntlTerminal.jpg

RE: Pre Screening - Editing Nose Shots (EGTESkyGod)

Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:37 am

It's not centred properly, too much space at the top, not enough below.

When you need to sharpen an image like this, make a duplicate of the image in a layer, copy the image to a mask on that new layer, then use stylise > Find edges (then invert the colours on the mask) to mask out areas with no detail. Then go back to the layer and run the sharpen.

If you convert the layer to a smart-layer at this point (instead of sharpening), then whatever filters you run from that point on will be non-destructive. So if you decide to use 50% sharpening, and then realise you need less, you can go to the settings for the smart-filter and change it.

That's how you work on these images easily.

Regards,
Chris.

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:35 am

OK, I think I need a photoshop tutorial! I think I got that and have had another go... hows this?

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/EGTESkyGod/Qantas747fromSYDIntlTerminal2.jpg

FX772LRF

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:31 am

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 2):
OK, I think I need a photoshop tutorial! I think I got that and have had another go... hows this?

Looks good to me. I love nose shots of the 747. They just have so much intimidation factor, it's unreal.  Smile

-Noah  wave 

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:57 am

Quoting FX772LRF (Reply 3):
Looks good to me. I love nose shots of the 747. They just have so much intimidation factor, it's unreal.

Thanks Noah! I'm hoping to get a similar shot of a Qantas A380 at some point while I'm here in Sydney so I can compare the two.

Speaking of nose shots, I dug this one out of a Thomas Cook 757 at MAN. There is sky in this picture, however I think it's a bit grainy, but otherwise ok?

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/EGTESkyGod/ThomasCook757MANNose2.jpg

aussie18

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:14 am

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 4):

The Grainy sky isnt too bad,Has some dustspots in the sky,Its abit oversharpened on the titles,nosegear doors.

Id suggest you crop it abit tighter to crop out the engine as it looks abit awkward with a small portion of the engine included.

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 2):

As for the Qantas 747 close up-not too bad,looks quite bright & tad soft in the area around the "Longreach title".

Cheers Mark.

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:31 am

Quoting Aussie18 (Reply 5):
The Grainy sky isnt too bad,Has some dustspots in the sky,

Quoting Aussie18 (Reply 5):
Id suggest you crop it abit tighter to crop out the engine as it looks abit awkward with a small portion of the engine included.

OK, I've had a play, and have taken what you've said into account and now have come up with this.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/EGTESkyGod/ThomasCook757MANNose3.jpg

Also, while on the 747 I have a concern... Will I get rejected for double given that I have the nose shot from the terminal here
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...5qantas747fromsydintlterminal3.jpg

and I also have this one of the same aircraft climbing away a few minutes later?

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...54727931.7684qantas747climbout.jpg

Are these pictures different enough to be accepted by the mods?

aussie18

Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:45 am

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 6):

They wont be rejected for double as they show different sides of the aircraft,May I suggest you have a read of the A.net Rejection guide as that will explain most rejection reasons thoroughly and sums up the double rejection quite well.

Thomas cook one looks pretty good,A slight reddish color cast and minor jagged edges.

Cheers Mark.

EGTESkyGod
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:09 am

Quoting Aussie18 (Reply 7):
May I suggest you have a read of the A.net Rejection guide as that will explain most rejection reasons thoroughly and sums up the double rejection quite well.

Funnily enough I actually did read through it earlier today! Just must have missed that part. Perhaps while I'm in Sydney at some point I may see you around?

Quoting Aussie18 (Reply 7):
Thomas cook one looks pretty good,A slight reddish color cast and minor jagged edges.

Minor enough to avoid a rejection?