Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKNAK
Topic Author

Pre Screening - General (niknak)

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi guys.

I've just got myself a decent camera and lens therefore the only excuses that I have now are my general photography and photoshop skills.

With this in mind I would be grateful to any advice on the shots at the link below. I've run through the various photoshop masterclasses but I'm guessing that the images will still be lacking in many areas!

Am I anywhere near the standard required to get these published on Airliners.net?

http://www.plane-spotting-hotels.com/prescreen.htm

TupolevTu154

Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:01 pm

They're very good for first attempts. The first I would say is unlevel, leaning towards the left so needs CW rotation (see the lampost just left of center, it's leaning). Everything else in that one looks pretty good to me, however I haven't quite got used to this new laptop screen of mine so wait for a second opinion!

The second is also good however it's looking a little soft and perhaps even slightly blurred.

Luftfahrer

Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:04 pm

Quoting Niknak (Thread starter):
but I'm guessing that the images will still be lacking in many areas!

Actually, I think they do not. I can't see any major flaws, however the first picture is unlevel and needs clockwise rotation (about 1,4°).

othic

Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:08 pm

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 1):

I agree

1 unleveled
2 soft/blurry

NIKNAK
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:14 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply Tupolev-that's given me a little bit of encouragement!

I'm struggling badly with the concept of leveling my shots at the moment. I leveled the Eastern Jetstream using the runway edge markings. I've played around with the original image using the lampost as my reference but then on the modified image the runway edge begins to slope!

Am I generally better levelling based on a vertical object rather than horizontal?

Thanks again

Andy

Luftfahrer

Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Quoting Niknak (Reply 4):
Am I generally better levelling based on a vertical object rather than horizontal?

If I have a horizontal object then I usually take it as my reference for leveling. Not a pro opinion, though  Wink Runways can be sloped sometimes.

NIKNAK
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:41 pm

Many thanks,

I'm working on the Eastern. I've updated the Ryanair on the link below. I've given it another sweep of sharpening at 70% but think that I may have overdone it?

I'm guessing that as it was slightly blurred out of the camera it may not be worth trying to sharpen any more?

Cheers

Andy

NIKNAK
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:21 pm

I've added the leveled Eastern to the link below (replacing the previous photo).

I've already learned a valuable lesson from this. I had to go back to the original RAW image to level and re crop. The problem is that I've experimented with so many settings recently that I have forgotten which sharpness/contrast settings I had used the st time around!

The "new" Eastern may therefore be level, but I'm unsure if the sharpness and colour editing are a match to the original "unlevel" version.

Andy