Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JakTrax
Topic Author

Priority post-screening

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:49 pm

Hello All,

Having not uploaded for a while I thought I'd try this priority, but it got the boot for underexposed, soft and compression. Now I'm not going to appeal as I kinda thought it might be considered soft (although in my experience the site lately seems not to prefer the same level of sharpness it used to), but the underexposed and compression reasons perplex me - I think it could probably be a touch brighter but it looks within limits to me (you can see from the shadow of the wing that it was clearly just minutes after sunrise), and compression is just not possible as it was saved at maximum quality. I suspect the screener has looked at the detail blurred by the jetwash, which is the only part of the image I can see that could remotely be mistaken for compression?

https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-co ... to/5309895

Cheers,
Karl

airkas1

Re: Priority post-screening

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:10 pm

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... c71cc1eef6

Hi Karl,

It does look soft and underexposed, plus a bit magenta (but that could be due to the exposure). I do see some jaggies in odd places though (nose, main gear, wing) that could be interpreted as compression. Is the original sharp enough or is there a slight blur that was sharpened?

JakTrax
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi Kas,

No, the original is tack-sharp all over. 1/640th at f/9, ISO400 on a FF body, with IS on (subject stationary). It was taken literally 10 minutes after sunrise - I really had to play with the colour to get it looking anything like I wanted; I was actually pleased with the final result, given how the original file looked. I processed the jpeg when perhaps I should have processed the RAW - looking at it now it's dark outside it could use a boost in brightness. Definitely no compression, though, nor blur in the original.

Psych

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:10 pm

Hello Karl.

How’s it going? Do you need any help with the edit?

Paul

JakTrax
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi Paul,

I'm well, thanks. You?

Kas very kindly did me an edit (it's been so long since I uploaded here I've lost touch with site preferences, preferring to apply my own instead), however I'm going to try again from the RAW as, looking at it now, it does appear soft and underexposed (amazing how the darkness outside can help with judgement!). I'm likely going to start uploading again soon and so need to re-familiarise myself with site requirements.

I have another (non-priority) in the queue - I'm confident it meets the current criteria, except for perhaps sharpness? I have linked the Flickr version as the one here won't display full size.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130333117 ... /lightbox/

Cheers,
Karl