PhilCiborowski
Topic Author

Rejection- Tips from experienced users.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:47 pm

Hi all the picture I submitted was rejected for the following reasons, and Im not exactly sure why, as I have seen plenty of photos that have exactly the same look and amount of "heat blur" in them... if not more.

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... 6fe9fb3499

Before I waste time and submit more pictures can anyone explain exactly what/how is
- Blurry
- Heat Haze
- Quality
- Underexposed

about this image?
I had played around with some of the levels and color settings to try and brighten it up but it was such a hazy, gray day that I took this, it felt and looked unnatural when I was done.

I know that a lot of it is subjective and I have to appeal to a lot of varying tastes but I want to at least contribute to the site!
Thanks!

airkas1
Head Screener

Re: Rejection- Tips from experienced users.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:03 pm

The 787 looks blurry and heat hazed (those sometimes go hand in hand). Composition is very low in frame too. Exposure looks decent, although could likely be improved. But all in all, the quality of this one is just too poor and it will not make it, no matter how much editing you put in it. Sorry.

JKPhotos

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:26 pm

As a general advice I am surprised no one mentioned motive before. It feels weird that you cut the wingtip of the JAL, it should be included IMO. On the left I would give it more space, one has to look twice to realise that winglet of the TAP330 isn't cut as well.

The scene is interesting, but overall the quality isn' t there unfortunately, as Kas mentioned. The 330 is blurry (seems out of focus and heat hazed) and the
787suffers from motion blur. Ideal would be a very fast shutter speed for such a shot, perhaps if the TAP would be sharp it could still work.
To me it looks like it was shot at quite a distance, so heat haze will mostly be a problem, especially for aircraft on the ground with lots of tarmac in between. Such shots are mostly only possible on cold & clear wintersday, in terms of a quality result.

airkas1
Head Screener

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:46 pm

JKPhotos wrote:
As a general advice I am surprised no one mentioned motive before. It feels weird that you cut the wingtip of the JAL, it should be included IMO. On the left I would give it more space, one has to look twice to realise that winglet of the TAP330 isn't cut as well.

Absolutely correct!

PhilCiborowski
Topic Author

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Fair enough - I see what you mean about crops- which were done accidentally as was the placement. The original one was much larger and I guess I missed that before I uploaded. The picture was shot at Constitution Beach in Winthrop, Ma. The 330 was on the taxiway just at the end of 22R directly across the water from me, and the 787 was leaving on 4R I can see the haze behind the 78 being an issue but behind the 330 - its just engine exhaust. Not sure how I can minimize that... any tips?

I appreciate the help!

airkas1
Head Screener

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:26 pm

The engine exhaust haze is not an issue at all. there aren't really ways to minimize that either. The photo is affected by heathaze that is between you and aircraft.