Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Wordpress
Topic Author

Photos Blurry

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi.
I have a Canon 6D mkII and a Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary lens and I shoot at TIST. I'm new to aviation photography, and photography in general. I try to upload photos but they keep getting denied for poor quality. I'm shooting from a weird angle and a very far distance and whenever I try 7.1-8 aperture and 100 iso, I get slow shutter speeds. It's really depressing to have my photos always rejected after spending hours editing, an hour getting to the airport, and $3,000 spent in equipment. Please give me some feedback and some tips to improve, I feel super demotivated. I tried uploading these shots to jetphotos, and they got denied overnight. I don't want to upload these to a.net yet, but please help me out here.

dutchspotter1

Re: Photos Blurry

Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Some easy tips to improve:
1. get closer to the aircraft. Shooting airliners with 500-600mm will very often result in blurry/heathazed photos (unless it's a cold, clear day, but I don't think that ever happens at TIST). Try to find a spot at the airport where you will need only 150-300mm.
2. take into account the position of the sun. Avoid facing the sun (backlight) and try to photograph during the early morning or late afternoon/evening, especially at a place relatively close to the equator like TIST.

If you look around at this website, you will see that these basic guidelines were applied by a lot of the photographers, regardless of their equipment.

Wordpress
Topic Author

Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:27 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Some easy tips to improve:
1. get closer to the aircraft. Shooting airliners with 500-600mm will very often result in blurry/heathazed photos (unless it's a cold, clear day, but I don't think that ever happens at TIST). Try to find a spot at the airport where you will need only 150-300mm.
2. take into account the position of the sun. Avoid facing the sun (backlight) and try to photograph during the early morning or late afternoon/evening, especially at a place relatively close to the equator like TIST.

If you look around at this website, you will see that these basic guidelines were applied by a lot of the photographers, regardless of their equipment.

No doubt about it. Right now I'm shooting from the college. I cannot find a good place to get closer. No doubt if I'm closer it'll be easier to take better shots/get a higher shutter speed. Because even at a shutter speed of 1/800 or 1/1000 or more, I still get blur. What's any idea of a good shutter speed to begin with? I'll also try and find a new spot, but it's very difficult to find here.

dutchspotter1

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:39 am

Shutter speeds of 1/800 or 1/1000 are fine and not the reason of the blur.

fsx98

Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:03 pm

In addition to Dutch's suggestions, I would also mind the slightly-clipped horizontal stabilizer on the 737 photo and even the clipped winglet section of both photos, as both would lead to a motive rejection.

jelpee

Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:08 pm

I would also make sure that your gear is functioning as it should. Try taking some shots of stationary objects (e.g. buildings) that are close to the camera and in good light (as Dutchspotter1 suggests). If your images display the same symptoms of blur, then it is possible that either your camera body or lens needs repair. If you get good pictures from the above set up, then it might be just a matter of refining your technique for aviation photography.

Jehan

Wordpress
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:49 pm

So I've tried a new spot that was WAY closer and my results are BETTER! I'm not getting a high enough shutter speed, but the photos seemed to be a symptom of heat haze. I'll be making a new post for a pre-screen, but thanks for the help everyone!

ajaaron

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:19 pm

Bump up your ISO, to something like 400. Set your camera to Shutter speed priority, (ie you select shutter speed, and camera sets the f number) and then set a good shutter speed like 1/800 for example. That higher ISO will force the camera to set a higher f number, which should result in SHARPER images... generally f 7.1 or higher for sharper images.

Also make sure you are using the best autofocus settings, (others wil advise on that point)as sometimes that can be the cause of the blur.

DL747

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:22 pm

I would advise going full manual. Take the time to learn the basics, its worth it. Too wide of an aperture and your image quality suffers quite a bit, too low of shutter and you get blur, too high of ISO and its quite noisy.