Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CassidysVacay
Topic Author

Help Identifying Halos

Sun May 06, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm not bad at identifying obvious halos but a recent photo of mine got rejected for halos I'm not seeing. Can someone help me identify where the halos are in the photo below. My workflow for this photo was as follows,

Lightroom
Crop

Photoshop
Resize (5000 down to 1400)
Auto contrast
Very little sharpening
Very little saturation
Dfne Noise Cancelling

Save

Where I think the screener sees halos is near the bottom of the fuselage and wings where there are shadows. If those are indeed where the halos are I'm a little confused because my original, unedited photo is showing the same exact effect. Are halos sometimes created by the camera? I shot this photo with a Nikon D500 and 300 2.8 100 ISO and 7.1.

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... 2853d11540

HarryLi
Screener

Re: Help Identifying Halos

Sun May 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi,
I don't think you workflow has problem which will lead to Halo. But since your camera is Nikon i would like to suggest you to make sure that the" D-Lighting" function has already been switched off by you as this function will cause halo effect.
Using "Equalize" in PS can help you check dirty spots of your pics and also can help you see the Halo situation clearly if you can't recognize by normal version.
Pressing Ctrl + Shift + Q can change into Equalize Version and Pressing Ctrl + Z to return to normal version or you can find it through :
Image -> Adjustment -> Equalize

Ex: From this one
Equalize Version :
You can see that there is a black circle around the aircraft and that's the halo.Actually i can see it clearly without using Equalize.
Besides, pay attention to here :
Two obvious dirty spots can be seen/checked through this version ,but screener will not use it when they are screening pics. But the halo of this one looks obvious even without using it.
So if the dirty spots are not obvious in normal version i think screeners will not give you correspond rejections.

Cheers,
Harry

HarryLi
Screener

Sun May 06, 2018 2:18 pm

HarryLi wrote:
Hi,
I don't think you workflow has problem which will lead to Halo. But since your camera is Nikon i would like to suggest you to make sure that the" D-Lighting" function has already been switched off by you as this function will cause halo effect.
Using "Equalize" in PS can help you check dirty spots of your pics and also can help you see the Halo situation clearly if you can't recognize by normal version.
Pressing Ctrl + Shift + Q can change into Equalize Version and Pressing Ctrl + Z to return to normal version or you can find it through :
Image -> Adjustment -> Equalize

Ex: From this one
Equalize Version :
You can see that there is a black circle around the aircraft and that's the halo.Actually i can see it clearly without using Equalize.
Besides, pay attention to here :
Two obvious dirty spots can be seen/checked through this version ,but screener will not use it when they are screening pics. But the halo of this one looks obvious even without using it.
So if the dirty spots are not obvious in normal version i think screeners will not give you correspond rejections.

Cheers,
Harry

CassidysVacay
Topic Author

Sun May 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Harry you are always very helpful. Thank you. That large dark area (halo) is quite large above the airplane. Are there any ways to fix this or should I throw this one in the trash? How can I prevent this in the future after making sure D-lighting is off?

HarryLi
Screener

Sun May 06, 2018 10:55 pm

CassidysVacay wrote:
Harry you are always very helpful. Thank you. That large dark area (halo) is quite large above the airplane. Are there any ways to fix this or should I throw this one in the trash? How can I prevent this in the future after making sure D-lighting is off?

Hi,
First of all, I don't know what factors cause Halo in this image. So you have to find out which process has problems. From my perspective, you can open the origin pic of this one in PS ( Without any Editing) and use Equalize to check if you can't recognize Halo clearly. If you still can see halo in the origin so it might be the problem of D-lighting or maybe the problem of Natural Light Condition which could be possible to cause slight halo but it's infrequent.
If you do not see any halo in the Origin one, so it might be the problem of your editing process. As I know that, using too much Highlight & Shadow will cause Halo.
However, no matter which factors cause it , D-LIGHTING must be switched off to avoid Halo in the future I think. So make sure about it.

Cheers,
Harry

CassidysVacay
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2018 12:50 am

Harry,

Thanks so much for the help again. I've made sure D-Lighting was off when I took that photo and it was. So I'm not really sure why there is a weird halo around the fuselage. Other photos from that day show no signs of halos. I'm going to keep investigating what the issue could be.

Have a nice day!
Cassidy

spompert

Mon May 07, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi! In my case halos are mostly created by using the highlight/shadow function. Also with very strong noise reduction halos can occur. Hope this helps.