Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Re: Pre Screen Feedback Please

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:31 pm

No problem, I have taken it out of the queue. Do you think this can be fixed with a smaller size or is it too much?

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:14 pm

A huge thanks to everyone for their feedback recently, its been a great help .. especially for everyone who gave feedback on my Etihad 787 and how to improve it - as of this post, its sitting in the top 5 views for the past 24 hours! https://www.airliners.net/photo/Etihad-A ... er/5038747

For those with much more experience you may have been there a number of times before but for me this is my first time, so thanks again everyone - your feedback is really helping me.

Now .. back to feedback :-)

Just after some feedback on these few before I add to the screening list ..

[Image . Image

Thanks Heaps
Chris

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:56 pm

Also, still working on how pictures should look at sunset... ???

Thanks

Miguel1982

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:22 am

The exposure on the first BAE146 looks better to my eyes. You could try a bit less sharpening on it to reduce the jaggies visible on the registration, even though they are quite minor.

Cheers,
Miguel

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks. You are right .. I increased the exposure on the 2nd one and it looks much better. Thanks!

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:53 am

Hi All

Just after some feedback on this one please. Was rejected for: Blurry, Over exposed and Quality (also Info and Category but these are submission errors on my part not relating to the picture).

Submitted and rejected - https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... a561133ab6

I think I have fixed the exposure up. In relation to blurry - it is a motion shot so the back ground is blurry but I thought the plane looked ok so my question is where is it blurry? Not for me to complain but for me to learn as I think it looks ok.

Also, just to help categorisation when submitting, I received a personal message "Business Category and aircraft is untitled". I get the Business Category issue (I selected private) however the untitled part I am not sure of. What is meant by this as there are many business jets with no titles on them??

As always, thanks in advance to everyone for their help!

Chris

Edited:

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:03 am

Just after some feedback on these too please

Thanks

dutchspotter1

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:32 am

Challenger: exposure is better now but I do agree with the motion blur (e.g. nosewheel and tail). It's just not razor sharp, caused by too slow shutter speed/low light condition.
AFAIK any bizjet falls under "business" and not "private". Doesn't matter who is the owner/operator. On the upload page it does seem a bit confusing indeed.

Thai: oversharped

VA: low contrast and I have some doubts about the sharpness (not sure whether it's too much, too little or OK).

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:54 am

Thanks for that. Appreciate the feedback on the challenger. Was willing to accept blury but just wasn’t quite sure where. Now I know!

The Thai and the VA .. both sound fixable so thanks, I’ll re look at the editing! :)

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:58 am

How are these? Re-edited Thai (reduced sharpness) and Virgin (Increased Contrast and slight sharpness reduction)

Thanks

airkas1

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Ideally for the Challenger the comment should've been "airline is untitled". The airline field needs to be filled in with "Untitled", not "Private" (or "Unknown").

ThaI: passable
Qantas: blurry/soft (especially the tail)

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks Kas. I don’t see many corporate jets so this classification is good to know for the future.

Good to know Thai is OK. I’ll add this to the screening list when the current submissions have been screened.

For the Blurry / Soft Qantas, are you referring to the one at the top of this page or, did you mean the Virgin Aust. along side the Thai?

Also .. being cheeky here .. anything in my current screening list you think I should reconsider? Thanks Chris :-)

airkas1

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:19 pm

Oh oops, I meant the Virgin, my bad!

Tianjin still looks flat/weak blacks
-YIG soft titles
-VQL flat/low contrast

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:24 pm

Thanks. I’ve pulled these 3 and will re-edit where I can.

I have added the Thai to the screening list.

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:30 am

Quick one ..is this fence too much for a motive rejection?

Thanks

dutchspotter1

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 am

IMO any fencing in the foreground of a photo should be reason for rejection, but I believe A.net's policy is different.

airkas1

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:28 am

We allow for up to 1/3 of the frame to be fence, but it can be cause for a motive rejection even if it's smaller. In your case, in my opinion it's passable, but maybe for others it isn't. So no guarantees for that shot.

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks Guys. It’s sounds a bit subjective so I’ll put it in the queue and see what happens.

Miguel1982

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:43 am

Be aware that the aircraft is quite backlit as well. I'm afraid that the fence is not the main issue there.

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks. I’ll see if I can make that look any better before I add to my screening list

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:47 am

One last one for today .. thoughts on lighting? not too sure.

Thanks as always

HarryLi
Screener

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:08 am

Hi Chris,
Honestly, the light is not pretty well, it's kind of top-lit & almost backlit. It also looks underexposed and slight soft to me.

Cheers,
Harry

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:54 am

Hi everyone. This will sound like a strange and maybe a pretentious question but it’s designed to help my photography.

What does it take to get 1000’s if views and get in the top 5 pics of the day or featured pictures?

I had 1 top 5 pic recently however I don’t actually know why it was any better than others I have taken and to be honest it took ages to edit because the original settings were not right as I was still learning ... yet it got 2.4k views. I think I have taken better pictures and they struggle to make 50 views.

I’m not actually looking for views as such but more it is nice to be recognized as taking good pics.

Any tips you can provide for taking things to the next level would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Chris

airkas1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:22 pm

No shame in saying you'd like to get more views. After all, we all want our photos to be seen, otherwise we likely wouldn't upload them.

The only way to get recognition is to keep shooting, get better and take better photos. Over time, people will remember you as someone who takes good quality photos that are worth looking at. Taken from my experience as someone who views photos and over the years I've developed a good memory of who takes what quality photos.

As for getting views, I guess there are 2 possibilities:

1) People plug their photos wherever they can. Dozens of Facebook groups and even Reddit. I know of a few people who do the latter and you might recognize them as well, as they alway have more or less 'standard' photos in the top 5. There is no rule against plugging your photos (although we do draw the line at computer/bot-generated views), but it's more of a personal boundary. I for one rarely plug my shots and if I do it's maybe to 1 Facebook group or on my own wall/Twitter (or similar).

2) Let nature take its course. Take interesting photos that get the member's attention and the photo will pop up in the top 5 via the 'organic' way.

I've noticed a way of telling the 2 methods apart (not fool proof, but goes a long way):
- When a photo has a high view count but almost none or no likes/comments, it's been plugged.
- When a photo has a high view count and lots of likes/comments, it climbed through the ranks the organic way, with the appreciation of the A.net members who viewed the photo.

In your case, I think you're talking about A6-BLM, which I recall being promoted on the A.net Facebook page some time ago:

Your example incidentally also proves my above mentioned theory :smile:

Personally, of course I like it when my photos get lots of views. But I'd rather have 500 views and 10 nice comments/likes than 10.000 views as I find the former much more rewarding. I also get a lot of satisfaction out of uploading new registrations and those rarely get above 250 views (if they break 100 at all).

Runway28L

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:44 pm

I'll add my input as well...

I agree wit Kas that the best thing to do is to just keep uploading and establish yourself over time. You'll get the attention of more and more people and eventually build a greater audience that appreciates your work.

As far as trying to get on the front page, from my observations it seems that photos of a new delivery, inaugural flight, special event, or planes in front of some background scenery are more likely to get higher views. But there have been times where I've uploaded a photo and did not expect it to get a high view count but it ended up doing so. Sometimes people will like a photo a lot that you certainly didn't expect to be popular.

It does help if your images are promoted. I know my recent front page image was certainly plugged by A.net on Facebook. It's also popular on sites like Instagram for people to repost and shoutout other spotters' images on their pages involving aviation photography.

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback and perspective. Most of my recent submissions have been accepted so I take this as a sign that I am at least becoming more consistent now that I generally have my camera settings sorted - mainly thanks to some previous advice on this forum from Kas :-)

While I knew social media was a factor, perhaps I didn't realise just how big a factor it was. That's not to say I will start wall papering pictures over all the usual sites, but it does help to know that just because a picture has 7k likes it doesn't mean that others with 50 are somehow inferior .. and if I do like a particular picture, I'll share it outside of A.net ... but not everything.

I'll keep focusing on improving what I am doing and while I don't get a huge amount of new deliveries, first flights etc through my local airport, if I can keep improving,and then adding some interesting elements like time of day, angles, framing etc then hopefully these will be start to be recognised as pictures worth looking at .... and maybe I'll end up with another Etihad soon (even though I still have no idea why it was so popular given its not framed that different to most of my other pics)

Thanks again guys and I'll keep at it .. and asking for feedback here because that's how I have been improving!

Chris

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:20 am

Hi All

Just after some feedback on this Royal Brunei Dreamliner. The front looks ok to me but I'm not 100% on the back end and if its being affected by the engine exhaust. Each time I look at it I change my mind so I need a second opinion!

Thanks as always
Chris

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:42 am

Have also been looking back at some of my earlier rejections / poor editing since I wasn't really sure what I was doing at the time. Have re-looked at this one and re-edited from scratch rather than continuing to fiddle with previous edited versions. It has camera settings in the range I shoot at now which led me to see if I could make it work but I'm not sure on the lighting. Plane itself looks a little shiny to me but may not be ..

Hopefully its ok but if not, do you think it is fixable?

Thanks
Chris

(P.S. - I may have put the first cut on the forum for feedback previously however it is not the same pic I have tried to fix a number of times in the upload queue .. although it is from the same series)

dutchspotter1

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:38 am

Royal Brunei: top of the fuselage and the main LG are soft/blurry.
Qantas is severely oversharped and the light is bad (the white fuselage seems greyish).

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:43 am

Thanks .. I was was thinking they weren't any good to start with and now thats confirmed. both are in the bin for good...

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:30 am

Just after some feedback please. I think it looks ok..

Thanks

dutchspotter1

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:18 am

Could use a some more contrast. Also it is oversharped (especially the gear, trailing edge of the wing, etc).

airkas1

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Brunei: soft titles, but any more sharpening will likely lead to jaggy titles.
Qantas: agree with Joost.
Tiger: Sharpening looks good to me, but does need some more contrast.

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:46 am

Thanks Kas. Brunei and Qantas already in the bin! Tiger I’ll bump up the contrast a bit. Good to know that one is usable with some re-edit as my first go at it was terrible so I didn’t even bother putting out for feedback

Thanks again.

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:56 am

Quick question .. is the glare on the nose a distraction for this one? It's a morning shot so there was some sun glare but I hope not too much as I like this one.

Thanks for your thoughts

dutchspotter1

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:58 am

Not a big deal for me.

airkas1

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:49 am

Fine for me as well. A glare that size will not result in a rejection for it.

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:54 am

Excellent. Thanks Guys!

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:45 am

Hi Everyone

Question ... Is the rear of this one blurry? Every time I look at it I change my mind as to weather it is or it isn't.

You help is much appreciated!

Thanks
Chris

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:52 am

Just after some general feedback on this one too. I feel as though I can never get the yellow quite right on these Scoot Dreamliners

Thanks

dutchspotter1

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:23 am

Qantas: doesn't seem blurry, but the reg and windows could use some sharpening. Also there seem to be halos near the trailing edge of the right wing and bottom ofthe fuselage.
Scoot: colors look OK to me but it could use some more contrast.

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks. Always helps to have a second set of eyes look at something!

I have sharpened the Qantas and done my best to remove the halos. Have run it through photoshop (as I use lightroom rather than PS) and it looks ok. Have also bumped up the contrast on the Scoot and it does look better (I think?).

Will add to my Screening list when I can and see how they go. :-)

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:25 pm

.. also just not sure on this one. My initial thoughts say no but its not a great colour scheme for a partly cloudy day so I'm just not sure

Thanks

Runway28L

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:04 pm

I actually think that it's the nose of the QF B738 that looks soft. The tail and rear fuselage look ok to me.

I agree that the Scoot B788 needs more contrast.

The Air Canada likely won't make it. Appears backlit and the entire underside of the fuselage has quite a bit of noise as well as haloing by the nose wheel.

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:05 am

Thanks .. Thats actually what I thought about the Air Canada. I don't get to see it often so I was hoping it was OK .. but I knew it was not good I guess ..

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:21 am

Question .. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best settings for Manual mode shooting on overcast days? I pretty much have normal sunny days sorted but as soon as the clouds roll in I start doing what I think is right and playing with the Aperture and shutter speed, and sometimes the IOS but it just doesn't seem to be working. For reference, I'm shooting on a Canon DSLR.

Thanks

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:44 pm

Just after some feedback on this one .. the clouds hanged the light so it made editing a little tricky so just after some feedback .. is it ok?

Thanks for the help as always! :-)

HarryLi
Screener

Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:28 pm

Hi Chris,
Qantas looks bit of Low In Frame to me and would be better at smaller size ithink. BTW, I'll also tend to reduce highlight slightly since the nose part looks slight OE (but looks not quiet bad ).
Cheers,
Harry

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:07 pm

Thanks Harry. Both pretty fixable areas. Much appreciated.

ChrisLait
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:54 am

Do you feel this is better? I have re-framed it, reduced the highlight and the size.

Thanks