Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fsx98
Topic Author

Vignetting rejection: fixable?

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:27 am

Hi everyone! I have a photo of an ACE EMB-120 parked at COU and was rejected for two reasons: oversharpened and vignetting. The oversharpened rejection is one that I could fix but the vignetting from the darkness from the lower left corner of the photo is one that concerns me. Is there any fixes to this rejection? Let me know what you guys think!

vcruvinel
Support

Re: Vignetting rejection: fixable?

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:31 am

fsx98 wrote:
Hi everyone! I have a photo of an ACE EMB-120 parked at COU and was rejected for two reasons: oversharpened and vignetting. The oversharpened rejection is one that I could fix but the vignetting from the darkness from the lower left corner of the photo is one that concerns me. Is there any fixes to this rejection? Let me know what you guys think!

Normally vignetting is easy to correct by lens corretions in Photoshop or Lightroom. What software do you use? I can show you some ways to correct.

Best,

Vinicius

fsx98
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:14 pm

vcruvinel wrote:

Normally vignetting is easy to correct by lens corretions in Photoshop or Lightroom. What software do you use? I can show you some ways to correct.

Best,

Vinicius

I'm solely using Photoshop to edit photos of aircraft; I don't have the energy or experience of using Lightroom at the moment

vcruvinel
Support

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:45 pm

fsx98 wrote:
vcruvinel wrote:

Best,

Vinicius

I'm solely using Photoshop to edit photos of aircraft; I don't have the energy or experience of using Lightroom at the moment

No problem. Do you know there is a function called "Lens Correction" in Photoshop that can remove the vignette?

fsx98
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:59 pm

I am not aware of this function in Photoshop; will have to try it out; thanks!

airkas1

Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Victor, check out this link: https://youtu.be/sh6VM4KChhw?t=10m25s

JakTrax

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:29 pm

I can no longer see the image (except for the thumbnail) but to me the darkness in the bottom left corner doesn't look like typical vignetting - it looks more like an edge of something out-of-focus or possibly even some kind of shadow? I'd expect vignetting to be apparent in all four corners (unless your subject wasn't central and you've cropped significantly?), particularly top left/right in that blue sky. But like I say, I cannot really discern from a thumbnail.

Karl

Kaphias

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:33 am

JakTrax wrote:
I can no longer see the image (except for the thumbnail) but to me the darkness in the bottom left corner doesn't look like typical vignetting - it looks more like an edge of something out-of-focus or possibly even some kind of shadow? I'd expect vignetting to be apparent in all four corners (unless your subject wasn't central and you've cropped significantly?), particularly top left/right in that blue sky. But like I say, I cannot really discern from a thumbnail.

Karl

I agree - looks like what I get when I'm shooting through a fence and catch some of the mesh in frame. Either way it should be fixable with the lens correction tool in Photoshop as Vinicius and Kas noted.

spompert

Sat May 05, 2018 7:29 am

airkas1 wrote:

Does anyone know if Photoshop elements also has this lens correction option? I can't find it and really miss it. Or do I need to shoot in raw for this? Thanks

HarryLi
Screener

Sun May 06, 2018 10:32 am

spompert wrote:
airkas1 wrote:

Does anyone know if Photoshop elements also has this lens correction option? I can't find it and really miss it. Or do I need to shoot in raw for this? Thanks

My Photoshop version is CS6 which does have "Lens Correction".
Find it by :
Filter ----> Lens Correction OR you can press "Ctrl + Shift + R "

But most of time is use this function in Camera RAW and do not do it again in PS since RAW is more convenient and will not hurt a lot of the quality of images.

Cheers,
Harry

spompert

Sun May 06, 2018 10:21 pm

Hi Harry, thank you, but I have Photoshop Elements and that might be different as I can`t find this option.

Kaphias

Mon May 07, 2018 3:58 am

Do you have Filter > Correct Camera Distortion? I used PSE 6 long ago and seem to remember it having manual lens correction capability.

spompert

Mon May 07, 2018 9:05 am

Hi, it has vignetting and distortion correction but no automatic lenses to choose from. Without this feature it`s really hard to remove vignetting in a way that it really looks okay. Therefore mostly when a photo has signs of vignetting I don`t even bother trying to remove it, which is not preferable.