Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scbriml
Topic Author

Level again?

Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:43 pm

I just had this shot rejected for overexposed and level (needing CCW rotation).

While I accept the shot is a little bright (I'll tone it down a bit), I'm not seeing the need for CCW. The only real indicator is the light pole to the right of the shot and it looks dead vertical to me.

Zoomed in section showing light pole on right:

Any contrary opinions? Thanks.

vcruvinel
Support

Re: Level again?

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:06 pm

scbriml wrote:

While I accept the shot is a little bright (I'll tone it down a bit), I'm not seeing the need for CCW. The only real indicator is the light pole to the right of the shot and it looks dead vertical to me.

Hi!

This kind of photos is a kind of treacherous when we consider the level aspect. If you see the grass in the left (consider the horizon) and the pole you use, it appears need a very little CCW (like 0,2 maybe or less). But about the overexposed I don't agree. Also the photo looks goods and do not deserve a rejection IMO.

Better wait a comment from a screener.

Best Regards,

Vinicius Cruvinel
Last edited by vcruvinel on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vcruvinel
Support

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:07 pm

vcruvinel wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Hi!

This kind of photo is a kind treacherous when we consider the level aspect. If you see the grass in the left (consider the horizon) and the pole you use, it appears need a very little CCW (like 0,2 maybe or less). But about the overexposed I don't agree. Also the photo looks goods and do not deserve a rejection IMO.

Better wait a comment from a screener.

Best Regards,

Vinicius Cruvinel

jelpee

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi Steve,

I screened this image. Let me give you my rationale. While the pole on the right side is technically vertical, we typically use vertical elements in the center of the frame. Absent of that, we use a distant horizontal. In this case, I used the edge of the grass which looks like it is leaning to the right. I applied some level correction and to me it looked better. By itself, I probably would have accepted the image. The image is overexposed however. I checked the histogram, and it is biased towards the right side. The combination of both issues resulted in me declining it. Hope this helps in understanding how I saw the image during screening.

Regards

Jehan

scbriml
Topic Author

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:49 pm

jelpee wrote:
Hi Steve,

I screened this image. Let me give you my rationale. While the pole on the right side is technically vertical, we typically use vertical elements in the center of the frame. Absent of that, we use a distant horizontal. In this case, I used the edge of the grass which looks like it is leaning to the right. I applied some level correction and to me it looked better. By itself, I probably would have accepted the image. The image is overexposed however. I checked the histogram, and it is biased towards the right side. The combination of both issues resulted in me declining it. Hope this helps in understanding how I saw the image during screening.

Regards

Jehan

Jehan, thanks for taking the time to respond and explain your position. It is much appreciated.

I'm not quite sure how something can be "technicallly" vertical. Either it is, or it isn't. However, I accept your opinion and I will apply a small amount of CCW and tone the brightness down a little before uploading again.

Thanks again for the response.

jelpee

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:31 am

Hi Steve,

Good question...let me add to my response: The issue with using verticals at the ends of the frame is that lens distortion at wide angles can misrepresent a true vertical., hence the reason for using verticals closer to the center. It would be acceptable for a vertical at the ends to be leaning towards the center if a vertical at the center is vertical. In this case, if the vertical on the right side is aligned as it is in your image, it is doing so at the expense of a slight right tilt. Therefore the image looks like it needs some CCW rotation. That's what I meant by the pole on the right side being "technically vertical" yet the overall image looks like it is not.

Jehan

airkas1

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:06 am

jelpee wrote:
Good question...let me add to my response: The issue with using verticals at the ends of the frame is that lens distortion at wide angles can misrepresent a true vertical., hence the reason for using verticals closer to the center. It would be acceptable for a vertical at the ends to be leaning towards the center if a vertical at the center is vertical. In this case, if the vertical on the right side is aligned as it is in your image, it is doing so at the expense of a slight right tilt. Therefore the image looks like it needs some CCW rotation. That's what I meant by the pole on the right side being "technically vertical" yet the overall image looks like it is not.

While the above is true, it is also my understanding that if a zoom lens is used, verticals near the frame edges can be trusted for determining level.

scbriml
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:02 pm

jelpee wrote:
The issue with using verticals at the ends of the frame is that lens distortion at wide angles can misrepresent a true vertical., hence the reason for using verticals closer to the center.

Yes, of course.

airkas1 wrote:
While the above is true, it is also my understanding that if a zoom lens is used, verticals near the frame edges can be trusted for determining level.

This shot was taken at 70mm using a 28-70 lens. I normally correct any clear distortion as an early step in my processing.

Miguel1982

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:52 pm

And then you also have to consider how large an object should be to be usable as a reference. Smaller vertical objects can show almost no angle even if the image is clearly leaning to one side or another.

And for light poles, whether they are really vertical :)

In this case, as Jehan did, I would just go for the edge of the grass as a reference.

Cheers,
Miguel

JakTrax

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:50 pm

Since no-one truly knows what level is in the image (due to several factors), shouldn't benefit of doubt have been given? To me the original image 'feels' level; as it also would with fractional CCW rotation. This in my opinion is a bit picky, given the ambiguity.

As for lens distortion, it depends on the lens. 70mm isn't wide but I'd expect a little barrel distortion, although perhaps not enough to significantly affect verticals close to the frame edges. That said, some lenses exhibit pincushion at 70mm. Let's also remember that lightpoles are often about as useful for determining level as the Leaning Tower of Pisa!

Like I say, with this one it should be about 'feeling' right, rather than trying to succinctly say what IS and ISN'T level.

airkas1

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:59 pm

JakTrax wrote:
Since no-one truly knows what level is in the image (due to several factors), shouldn't benefit of doubt have been given? To me the original image 'feels' level; as it also would with fractional CCW rotation. This in my opinion is a bit picky, given the ambiguity.
[...]
Like I say, with this one it should be about 'feeling' right

That’s how I would’ve treated it.

scbriml
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:59 pm

Interesting discussion, thanks guys.

I have applied some CCW and toned the brightness down and it's now back in the queue. Let's see what happens... :crossfingers:

scbriml
Topic Author

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:27 am

Now accepted, thanks!