Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

johnr
Topic Author

Cropped stab/wings?

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Have the rules changed about being allowed to crop the stab/wing on tightly cropped shots showing predominately the fuselage? I've had hundreds of such shots accepted in the past and the site has hundreds of thousands. Just a quick perusal of today's accepted shots shows many including some from the screening team. Some clarification on this would be appreciated more so that I can dismiss my suspicions that the raft of rejections reasons that were attached to my appeal were not designed to send a message. Regards to all. John.

vikkyvik

Re: Cropped stab/wings?

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:37 pm

johnr wrote:
Have the rules changed about being allowed to crop the stab/wing on tightly cropped shots showing predominately the fuselage? I've had hundreds of such shots accepted in the past and the site has hundreds of thousands. Just a quick perusal of today's accepted shots shows many including some from the screening team. Some clarification on this would be appreciated more so that I can dismiss my suspicions that the raft of rejections reasons that were attached to my appeal were not designed to send a message. Regards to all. John.

No change that I've heard of, but what sort of shots are you referencing?

Miguel1982

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:41 pm

They haven't. The general idea is to avoid cropping if it is just the wing / stabilizer tip.

Cheers,
Miguel

johnr
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:17 am

Vik, it's one of those quartering rear shots of a departing aircraft where the crop goes right to the top of the fin and close to the nose which ultimately means cropping the far wing and stab. Leaving it in would create a very unbalanced look. It's very common on the site and there are a few in today's uploads which I won't identify out of respect to those that uploaded them despite the fact that it would probably give them a few more views than they will eventually get. Miguel, it's not just the tips that are cropped but cose in to the fuselage. Your a screener so you can probably have a look if you wish. I'd link it to this thred if I knew how, if you like you could put my shot up in this discussion as a learning exercise, I don't mind other opinions on the photo, good or bad, i think I'll be binning the shot anyway. Regards.

Miguel1982

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi John,

As requested, here is the shot. (Right click on the image on your Photo corner > Copy Image URL > use the "Insert image" in the forum editor)

In my opinion, it would look better with the entire wing and stabilizer, and even if the fuselage is centered, the tail makes it feel high in the frame as well.

Cheers,
Miguel

johnr
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:02 pm

That's for doing that Miguel, much appreciated. I understand what your saying but my point is that compared to countless other shots including many of my own it still meets acceptable criteria for the site. Do you also think it is too soft which was the original basis for my appeal? Regards.

vikkyvik

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:01 am

johnr wrote:
That's for doing that Miguel, much appreciated. I understand what your saying but my point is that compared to countless other shots including many of my own it still meets acceptable criteria for the site. Do you also think it is too soft which was the original basis for my appeal? Regards.

I suppose it may meet the site's criteria. Though cropping only the outer part of a wing is usually frowned upon, and that is happening with the port wing in your shot.

When I first saw it, I immediately thought it would look better uncropped.

It does look soft.