Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fsx98
Topic Author

American A321 Photo Rejection

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi everyone! I have a photo of an American A321 (Florida Gators Football charter) taxiing to the ramp at COU and was rejected for multiple reasons:
    Compression (I always save it at 12 on Photoshop (minimal compression) so this shouldn't be the reason why)
    Quality
    Soft
    Low Contrast
    Noise
    Undexposed

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... 38a662b235

Any thoughts on whether or not this could be redone for a reupload?

vcruvinel
Support

Re: American A321 Photo Rejection

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:51 pm

fsx98 wrote:
Hi everyone! I have a photo of an American A321 (Florida Gators Football charter) taxiing to the ramp at COU and was rejected for multiple reasons:
    Compression (I always save it at 12 on Photoshop (minimal compression) so this shouldn't be the reason why)
    Quality
    Soft
    Low Contrast
    Noise
    Undexposed

[I`m not a A.net screener]

Hi! You can post all your doubts/questions in only one topic! It`s easier to any member help you. But let`s talk about the photo...Unfortunately your photo has all the problems that the screener said. I`m not an expert but I think the best way to practice and solve this problems is to review your workflow and the photo conditions. Can you please describe your workflow? The camera settings? The photo conditions are not the best also...as the cloud has a grey aspect.

It will be a pleasure to help (in which points I know!) :)

Vinicius

fsx98
Topic Author

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:51 am

vcruvinel wrote:
fsx98 wrote:
    Quality
    Soft
    Low Contrast
    Noise
    Undexposed

Hi! You can post all your doubts/questions in only one topic! It`s easier to any member help you. But let`s talk about the photo...Unfortunately your photo has all the problems that the screener said. I`m not an expert but I think the best way to practice and solve this problems is to review your workflow and the photo conditions. Can you please describe your workflow? The camera settings? The photo conditions are not the best also...as the cloud has a grey aspect.

Vinicius

My usual workflow is the following:
Rotate (if needed)
Crop
Size
Levels (usually I increase contrast levels, then brightening midtones twice)
Sharpening
Cleanup

Recently, I have added "noise reduction" between sharpening and cleanup after recent feedback on how to better improve my photos and also how to reduce noise on my photos.

HarryLi
Screener

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:22 am

I can't comment too much to this picture yet as I am using my phone now. But regarding to the compression problem, Reducing Noise might cause the Compression Effect which will lead Screeners to consider your picture has Compression issue. Especially using too much " Reducing Noise ". And the " Quality" was given base on other Reasons especially Compression.

Cheers,
Harry

Psych

Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:33 am

Hello Victor.

For me the fundamental problem here is that the light was not in your favour at all. As such, it looks as though you have had to edit the image quite a bit to get it looking respectable as far as A.net standards are concerned. That background sky looks very washed out, which suggests overall exposure was an issue - so, to get the aircraft light enough, that sky has completely disappeared. This leads to quite a lot of noise/quality issues for the aircraft itself, due to the editing, I think.

In your shoes I don't think I would be working hard to re-edit this one in the hope it will get through here.

All the best.

Paul

vcruvinel
Support

Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:38 am

fsx98 wrote:
vcruvinel wrote:
fsx98 wrote:
    Quality
    Soft
    Low Contrast
    Noise
    Undexposed

Vinicius

Rotate (if needed)
Crop
Size
Sharpening
Cleanup

Recently, I have added "noise reduction" between sharpening and cleanup after recent feedback on how to better improve my photos and also how to reduce noise on my photos.

Just completing the comments from Paul and Harry.

I think you will get better results if you do noise reduction, levels and all the editing at the original file before size (use 1280px to start). If you use LR and PS, try to install Nik Collection, it will help you to edit and see some details in the photos, it's a good point for start. Other question, when you do the sharpening you do in all the photo or select just the plane?

Vinicius

fsx98
Topic Author

Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:12 pm

vcruvinel wrote:
fsx98 wrote:
vcruvinel wrote:

Vinicius

Rotate (if needed)
Crop
Size
Sharpening
Cleanup

Just completing the comments from Paul and Harry.

I think you will get better results if you do noise reduction, levels and all the editing at the original file before size (use 1280px to start). If you use LR and PS, try to install Nik Collection, it will help you to edit and see some details in the photos, it's a good point for start. Other question, when you do the sharpening you do in all the photo or select just the plane?

Vinicius

I do the sharpening in all except the sky, as instructed in the Airliners.net editing guide:
https://www.airliners.net/faq/editing_guide/

fsx98
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:53 am

UPDATE: I've attempted to fix the above rejected photo and gave up on fixing it any further because it was rejected for blurriness; I've moved on to a photo of a different angle of the same aircraft as seen below and re-edited it from there. The only reason why it was rejected is because the photo is dark, as I've shot this aircraft under cloudy conditions. Can this photo be fixed any further? Let me know what you guys think!

dutchspotter1

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:42 am

I can't view the photo in larger size.

airkas1

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:13 am

dutchspotter1 wrote:
I can't view the photo in larger size.

That's because the large view doesn't work for rejected photos when the photos are displayed like this. Better to use the link to the rejected photo.

fsx98
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Here's the recently rejected photo shown below:

HarryLi
Screener

Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:10 am

The REG looks blurry and the quality looks marginal. Bit of underexposed.