Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BB072
Topic Author

Pre-screen request

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi all,

As a newbie on the site I'm still trying to figure out how to edit images in such a way that they will be accepted. I looked through the photos on this site and sometimes I "get it" why an image is accepted or rejected and sometimes I just "don't see it". Maybe I need new glasses or a better monitor :-)

Meanwhile: would you take a look at this one for me? All comments are HIGHLY appreciated!

Re: Pre-screen request

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi,

the shot kooks oversharpened to me (the Qatar letters are quite jagged) and is a bit bright. For me the crop is fine, but screeners will possibly say (that is what counts) it needs to be tighter cropped towards the front.
So with less sharpening, toning it a bit down (-0,1 exposure did it for me in PS) and a bit tighter crop towards the front it should make it.

Cheers,
Julien

BB072
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:38 pm

Thanks for your remarks. What I didn't mention (not on purpose, just forgot it) is that this image has been rejected earlier, with reasons "Blurry Soft". So I sharpened it a 'tad' more... Maybe too much this time.

Miguel1982

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi,

Agree with Julien (no news there) that it looks a tad oversharpened. The most obvious jaggies are on the titles, but you can see more on the engine, main gear and registration. I would also crop a bit from the left side, so the empty space on both sides of the plane is roughly equal. Exposure is OK for me, but you might want to play with it a bit and see if you like a slightly darker version more.

Regarding soft - oversharpened rejections, it usually comes down to a shot being slightly blurred to begin with. If that happens, finding the sweet spot between nice sharpness but not jagged becomes almost impossible. Not saying that it is the case here, just as information.

Regards,
Miguel

spompert

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi BB072, seems that you are a AMS-spotter. If you need any help with editing or shooting tips let me know. Would love to help. Indeed the original needs to be sharp enough. Can`t judge if that`s the case here. It looks pretty oversharpened. If your first rejection was soft/blurry than it might have a chance if you sharpen less. What kind of software do you use? Greets Stefan

BB072
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks all for your responses! I made a new edit, exposure down -0.1 EV, re-cropped, sharpening down to "barely sharpened" and exported the file in 1920 pixels wide format (I believe that if you downsize a large original "too far", the 'jaggies' will show up sooner, maybe that's just my misconception, but anyway :-)

I would certainly appreciate it if you would take another look!

Direct link to new 1920 pixels wide image
Last edited by BB072 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BB072
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:09 pm

spompert wrote:
Hi BB072, seems that you are a AMS-spotter. If you need any help with editing or shooting tips let me know. Would love to help. Indeed the original needs to be sharp enough. Can`t judge if that`s the case here. It looks pretty oversharpened. If your first rejection was soft/blurry than it might have a chance if you sharpen less. What kind of software do you use? Greets Stefan

Thanks for the offer Stefan! I'm in Alkmaar myself. I use Lightroom (and sometimes Photoshop but 99% is Lightroom here). Topaz Denoise tools (when needed, not in this case)

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:35 pm

BB072 wrote:
Thanks all for your responses! I made a new edit, exposure down -0.1 EV, re-cropped, sharpening down to "barely sharpened" and exported the file in 1920 pixels wide format (I believe that if you downsize a large original "too far", the 'jaggies' will show up sooner, maybe that's just my misconception, but anyway :-)

[url=http://www.netwetersdev.nl/_L
1A5078%20PreScreen.jpg]Direct link to new 1920 pixels wide image[/url]

You're absolutely right, if you downsize from ~ 5.000px to 1.024px shots will get jagged due to extreme downsizing.

At 1.920 px the shot is a bit soft though and does look even a bit blurry towards the front. Don't forget due to a.net's requirements a 1.920 px shot would need to be 'perfect', This one would get quality annd soft / blurry as a reason.
Generally I would go for something at around 1.400px or so (neither too large nor too small) but due to the seemingly blurry front I am not sure if it will make it.
If you want to, you can contact me, via one of my shots:
https://www.airliners.net/search?user=15 ... lay=Detail
-> contact the photographer
and send me the original and I can have a look.

Cheers,
Julien

HarryLi
Screener

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:19 pm

BB072 wrote:

Direct link to new 1920 pixels wide image

I agree with Julien that this one looks it of soft and blurry toward the front part of it and it would get a " Quality " rejection as big size photos are required to have better quality or it would be insufficient quality. I would try to resize it with 1400px or 1500px i think that would be better. :)

Cheers,
Harry

BB072
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:59 pm

Wow, thanks guys, much appreciated!

Here's my final attempt, sized at 1400 pixels.

The 'softness' at the very end (nose) of the aircraft is my own fault. The angle (plane taking off, away from me) and the F5.6 caused it, I'd say. I'll go up to f8 at least, next time!

jelpee

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:06 am

I would try it at 1200 pixels since it will mitigate the blurriness at the front of the aircraft. Re. downsizing, I find that resizing in steps (full size to 1600 pixels and then to 1200 pixels) does not cause jaggies.

Jehan

BB072
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:30 am

jelpee wrote:
I would try it at 1200 pixels since it will mitigate the blurriness at the front of the aircraft. Re. downsizing, I find that resizing in steps (full size to 1600 pixels and then to 1200 pixels) does not cause jaggies.

Jehan

Hm, I'll test that, nice suggestion Jehan, thanks.

airkas1

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:33 am

BB072 wrote:
The angle (plane taking off, away from me) and the F5.6 caused it, I'd say. I'll go up to f8 at least, next time!

On a sunny day like that, I would indeed always go f8.

As for the image, the top of the tail looks funny. It's got a blue edge just like the sky color and I suspect you made an error during editing.

BB072
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:05 pm

airkas1 wrote:
BB072 wrote:
The angle (plane taking off, away from me) and the F5.6 caused it, I'd say. I'll go up to f8 at least, next time!

On a sunny day like that, I would indeed always go f8.

As for the image, the top of the tail looks funny. It's got a blue edge just like the sky color and I suspect you made an error during editing.

I did not edit anything on the tail....

airkas1

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Did you select the sky and do something to it?

BB072
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:10 pm

airkas1 wrote:

Not that I am aware. I'll look into it when I get back to the PC again :)

BB072
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:41 pm

airkas1 wrote:

I see what you mean now! Guess I ***ed up somewhere in the workflow :) I'll redo the file. Thanks!