Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airkas1

Re: Feedback on pictures

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:56 pm

KLM: blurry/soft front section, overexposed sky, kinda backlit but it could work (no guarantee), needs a tighter crop. Quality insufficient for such a large size.
Delta: Backlit, low in frame. This one will not make it due to lighting issues.
AA, blurry, soft, high in frame, right in frame, underexposed, Quality insufficient for such a large size, needs CCW rotation. This one will not make it.

lightningzap
Topic Author

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:01 pm

airkas1 wrote:
KLM: blurry/soft front section, overexposed sky, kinda backlit but it could work (no guarantee), needs a tighter crop. Quality insufficient for such a large size.
AA, blurry, soft, high in frame, right in frame, underexposed, Quality insufficient for such a large size, needs CCW rotation. This one will not make it.

What to do about quality insufficient for such a large size?

HarryLi
Screener

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:12 pm

lightningzap wrote:
airkas1 wrote:

What to do about quality insufficient for such a large size?

You can try to use smaller size.

lightningzap
Topic Author

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:38 pm

So I shouldn't export at the original size?

airkas1

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:44 pm

For example, your AA B787 image is 2048 x 1225px. That is way too big to upload, but more importanly, the quality is poor at that size. You will need to resize to a max of 1920, but I recommend 1200px wide to start with. Afterwards, you'll likely need to put it through Photoshop (or similar) to improve it.

lightningzap
Topic Author

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:15 pm

airkas1 wrote:
For example, your AA B787 image is 2048 x 1225px. That is way too big to upload, but more importanly, the quality is poor at that size. You will need to resize to a max of 1920, but I recommend 1200px wide to start with. Afterwards, you'll likely need to put it through Photoshop (or similar) to improve it.

putting it through photoshop just to be able to export in png?

airkas1

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Eh, no. Putting it through photoshop to improve level, color, sharpening, contrast, brightness, etc. Then save as JPG.

lightningzap
Topic Author

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:39 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Eh, no. Putting it through photoshop to improve level, color, sharpening, contrast, brightness, etc. Then save as JPG.

So theres a benefit of using photoshop over lightroom for this kind of stuff?

airkas1

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:35 pm

No, either is fine to use for post-processing.

lightningzap
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:01 am

airkas1 wrote:

https://imgur.com/hagRRNG

this is the before and after.

vcruvinel
Support

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:58 am

lightningzap wrote:
airkas1 wrote:

https://imgur.com/hagRRNG

this is the before and after.

In my opinion needs more sharpening and constrast. Maybe it's a little overexposed...But's not too much.

Just my opinion, better wait some comments from the screeners.

Best! :)

Vinicius

airkas1

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:25 am

Ah, so I see. But my previous points are still applicable.

lightningzap
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:48 pm

What can I do about this blurriness which in the first and last pictures?

airkas1

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Unfortunately nothing can be done to fix those to A.net standards. It will require a better original photo.

lightningzap
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:30 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Unfortunately nothing can be done to fix those to A.net standards. It will require a better original photo.

How to do that though?

lightningzap
Topic Author

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:12 pm

Camera was very still as I was leaning my arms on the railing on the atc tower catwalk so and the plane was far enough away for the aperture so do I need to buy better equipment?

airkas1

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:55 am

lightningzap wrote:
airkas1 wrote:

How to do that though?

By going out again and taking new photos.

lightningzap wrote:
Camera was very still as I was leaning my arms on the railing on the atc tower catwalk so and the plane was far enough away for the aperture so do I need to buy better equipment?

Well, I'm not sure what you're shooting with now, so can't say if you need better equipment. But it could be that you mis-timed tracking it, that the focus wasn't good, etc. Light also wasn't great either.

So I suggest going out, go somewhere where you have the sun behind you and where you don't have the planes too far away from you.

lightningzap
Topic Author

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:45 pm

airkas1 wrote:
lightningzap wrote:
airkas1 wrote:

How to do that though?

By going out again and taking new photos.

lightningzap wrote:

Well, I'm not sure what you're shooting with now, so can't say if you need better equipment. But it could be that you mis-timed tracking it, that the focus wasn't good, etc. Light also wasn't great either.

So I suggest going out, go somewhere where you have the sun behind you and where you don't have the planes too far away from you.

I'm using t7i with 70-300 IS USM, planes are 250 meters away and it was center point focus on the plane. Also nothing I can do about lighting from there in the morning.
Also most of the planes I shoot aren't doing regular service so I can't go reshoot them.

airkas1

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:41 am

Unfortunately there isn't much to do about it then. With that light, any photo will have trouble making it on here. The fact that the aircraft aren't regulars is unfortunate, but nothing to do about that. either.

lightningzap
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:36 am

airkas1 wrote:
Unfortunately there isn't much to do about it then. With that light, any photo will have trouble making it on here. The fact that the aircraft aren't regulars is unfortunate, but nothing to do about that. either.

apart from light what do about sharpness

airkas1

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Try to get steadier hands (i.e. hold the camera more still) when tracking the aircraft in front of the lens and make sure your camera/lens have the correct focus. The KLM for example I think had the focus on the wings and aft fuselage. Result: the front fuselage is blurry.

jelpee

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:59 pm

A good source of light on the aircraft and an acceptable shutter speed (based on the focal length of the lens) will minimize camera shake resulting in sharper images. Looks like your KLM and Delta aircraft are backlit and not ideal for showing a sharp image. Perhaps you need to either position yourself on the opposite side or wait for the sun to move behind your position.

Jehan

lightningzap
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:21 am

jelpee wrote:
A good source of light on the aircraft and an acceptable shutter speed (based on the focal length of the lens) will minimize camera shake resulting in sharper images. Looks like your KLM and Delta aircraft are backlit and not ideal for showing a sharp image. Perhaps you need to either position yourself on the opposite side or wait for the sun to move behind your position.

Jehan

Camera want shaky though, it was resting in my knee, with 2 hands and face and the IS in lens. Is it the focus type? Everyone told me to use one point af.

jelpee

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:37 pm

I use single point focus and it works well for me. Take some images of static aircraft with the light coming from behind you and check the results. It will also confirm if your body or lens may be contributing to the lack of sharpness.

Jehan

lightningzap
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:01 pm

jelpee wrote:
I use single point focus and it works well for me. Take some images of static aircraft with the light coming from behind you and check the results. It will also confirm if your body or lens may be contributing to the lack of sharpness.

Jehan

Pictures where light was coming from behind me were even more soft in some cases. Is 70-300mm IS USM a really bad lens then?

HarryLi
Screener

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:45 am

lightningzap wrote:
jelpee wrote:

Jehan

Pictures where light was coming from behind me were even more soft in some cases. Is 70-300mm IS USM a really bad lens then?

Is 70-300mm IS USM a really bad lens then?

I don't think the lens is so bad and as i knwo that Soft problem could be solved by editing which means adding sharpness so if you feel that the photos are soft you can add more sharpness to it. I used to use 55-250 when i use 400D and that lens provided wrose sharpness than yours and what i have now but some of them were accepted finally by my editing.

lightningzap
Topic Author

Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:00 am

HarryLi wrote:
lightningzap wrote:
jelpee wrote:

Jehan

Is 70-300mm IS USM a really bad lens then?

I don't think the lens is so bad and as i knwo that Soft problem could be solved by editing which means adding sharpness so if you feel that the photos are soft you can add more sharpness to it. I used to use 55-250 when i use 400D and that lens provided wrose sharpness than yours and what i have now but some of them were accepted finally by my editing.

All of the pictures which I show have 100-150 sharpness added with masking.

darazarbaf

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:16 pm

I had the Canon EF 70-300 IS USM for some time. Couldn’t get sharp photos for most of the time. Decided to change it and now I’m happy with the decision I made. You might consider changing it and buy a more expensive lens if you want to see better results.