Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CrazyFlyer8
Topic Author

Post screening

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:36 pm

This pic got rejected for high in the frame and I feel like its centered but do to the high tail and angle it gives the illusion its high. Should I bring it down a tad?

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... 62f86635d6

Also it get rejected for low contrast. Can someone help me maybe understand the whole contrast thing as I find sometimes I get it right and others I don't but its one of the top reasons I get photos rejected and I feel I am not understanding something.

Thanks for the help!
Karl

jelpee

Re: Post screening

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:33 am

Hi Karl,
It could come down just a tad, but is within acceptable limits IMO. Re. the image is a bit flat, but checking the histogram, the image can use more brightness which improves the appearance. If you drag pointer on the right side of the histogram closer to where the curve starts (about 235), you should see a difference. Also drag the pointer on the left side of the histogram to about 10 and it will improve the contrast. Actually, I got the same result by selecting "Auto contrast" in PhotoShop Elements .The image looks soft as well, noticeable in the titles. Some added sharpening will help. For good contrast, there should be good separation between the whites and blacks. Hope this helps.

Jehan

CrazyFlyer8
Topic Author

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:37 am

Sweet thanks a lot that is helpful!l I will work on that and see what I can do to make it better.

Karl

CrazyFlyer8
Topic Author

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:07 pm

Another one this time for low contrast and low in frame.

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... 12f1e12f4a

When centering the aircraft am I to center based on fuselage or the highest and lowest point of the aircraft ie tail and wheels? I am guessing the contrast I added was not enough.

HarryLi
Screener

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Hello Karl,
The contrast of it looks not very bad to me but i think you still can add little bit to it not too much.
Regarding to your centering problem, here is what i usually do to most of the aircraft :

But please remember that not all aircrafts are suitable to this way like B737-700. If you use this way to center B737-700 it would become High In Frame i think. But for me most of normal planes is ok to it. Such as B77W A380 B787 A330 A340 320 321 B738 etc..
I think there are some other ways to center plane but this is what i do for most of planes.

Cheers,
Harry

CrazyFlyer8
Topic Author

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks Harry this is very helpful!

jelpee

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:57 pm

There are numerous guides for centering, Harry's being one. Often times, placing the mid point of the image at the window line works, but not for 737-700 and below series where the tail dominates. Also the perspective can change the centering. I use Harry's method using the "Rule of Thirds" grid in PSE when centering aircraft that are at an angle (climbing, descending, rotating, etc). What ever method is used, the image must "look centered" more than being theoretically centered. As screeners, we rely on the thumbnail image to assess centering. Therefore, for your own reference, if you look at a zoomed out version of the image, any obvious centering issues become apparent.

BTW, re. the contrast, I checked the histogram, and the image could use some brightening. Just remember to adjust contrast if you choose to add brightness.

Jehan