Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YQZ380
Topic Author

Creative Shot Questions

Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi all,

I have been uploading under the creative shot category for quite some time now, and most, if not all of my shots under this category are nighttime panning shots taken around ISO 1000 and at a shutter speed of around 1/4 seconds. I had no problem in the past, apart from some shots being "de-creativised" and moved into the regular screening queue such as the following:

Shot at ISO 800, 1/13 seconds, f/5.6:

Shot at ISO 3200, 1/13 seconds, f/5.6:

I thought maybe these images had too high a shutter speed and had little motion blur in the background, hence the "de-creativisation". However, I am starting to get the nighttime panning shots de-creativised as well:

Shot at ISO 1250, 1/4 seconds, f/5.6:

Shot at ISO 1250, 1/4 seconds, f/5.6:

I am quite surprised since up till now, I had no problem uploading the nighttime panning shots under the creative category such as these:

Hence, I am wondering if there were any changes recently made to the creative category guidelines? What ISO is high enough and shutter speed low enough to make it into the creative guidelines? Do slow-moving aircraft shot at night with high ISO and slightly higher shutter speed (e.g. the QF Oneworld A330 earlier) due to the angle fall under the creative category?

Cheers,
Yang

JakTrax

Re: Creative Shot Questions

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:25 pm

I find the use of the word 'creative' when applying to aviation photography somewhat overused these days. In short, although your panning shots are nice, they aren't creative; in fact, 90% of apparently 'creative' shots I see are more opportunistic. The results can be almost inseparable, however the circumstances most often dictate whether or not something is creative. Walking to the backlit side of a runway for a sunset shot, for example, isn't exactly creative.

Do panning shots take skill? Certainly; but skill alone isn't enough to categorise something as truly creative. Creativity is as much about the mind as it is about the physical skill. Creativity is taking something regular and turning it into a piece of art.

airkas1

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:16 am

Hey Yang,

That was my doing. I also find it hard to come up with a good definition of creative, but my thoughts border the above post. I know we've processed previous photos of yours as part of the creative queue and whilst they are certainly 'out of the box' and more challenging (which I personally always appreciate), I wouldn't really classify them as creative.

HarryLi
Screener

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:38 am

Hello Yang,
I saw some similar photos like what you posted here in the " Creative Category "

I think some of them may have lower shutter speed than you and they were accepted before. What i want to say is that maybe different people have their different view point or definition of " Creative ". :?

airkas1

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:06 am

Neither of those 3 are creative. Unfortunately non-creative photos don't always get decreativized.

HarryLi
Screener

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:25 am

airkas1 wrote:
Neither of those 3 are creative. Unfortunately non-creative photos don't always get decreativized.

Sorry , I have the wrong photo for the third one please ingore it. But another 2 were searched in Creative Category.

YQZ380
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:49 pm

Thank you Karl, Kas and Harry for your replies!

JakTrax wrote:
Do panning shots take skill? Certainly; but skill alone isn't enough to categorise something as truly creative. Creativity is as much about the mind as it is about the physical skill. Creativity is taking something regular and turning it into a piece of art.

The way I see it would be taking common traffic at my home airport (like the CX 777, the BI 320) and trying a different type of shot of nighttime panning instead of the regular ISO 100, 1/800s taxiway shots to bring out a sense of motion. But as Harry put it, we have different perceptions of what is "creative" :wink2:

airkas1 wrote:
Neither of those 3 are creative.

In that case, I shall stop uploading those nighttime panning shots in the creative category. However, I think it would be good to update the creative guidelines on the upload page
to avoid confusion too.

Thanks again guys for clarifying my questions on the creative screening process! Really appreciate it!

Cheers,
Yang

airkas1

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Yeah, we do need to try to define creative more. I'll see if I can get some words together in the near future.

Kaphias

Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:01 am

A few words/thoughts for you all to ponder...

Creative images should be
innovative
original
unique
imaginative

Creativity CAN be spontaneous.

Creativity does NOT have to be difficult.