Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Opinion, Tips and Improvements

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the spotter universe...So I started to edit some shots I've taken in Lightroom and Photoshop. I need an opinion and tips to improve the photos like remove dust spots...opinion if contrasts are ok and stuff like that.

Thanks!

HarryLi
Screener

Re: Opinion, Tips and Improvements

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:46 am

Hello ,
It seems that you provided a preview photo here so that we can't see too much detail from it.But from this one , it seems low in frame. The contrast should be ok to me. If you are new to here you can read the " Editing Guide " here : https://www.airliners.net/faq/editing_guide/
That would be great help to you. Besides , regarding to how to remove the dust point from your picture. What i do in PS is
1. Press Ctrl +Shift +Q and then it would changed to " Equalize" version and then you can see some dirty point there.
2. Select that tool which can remove the points ( I forgot the name of it sorry ). And then move it to the point position but DO NOT ERASE FIRST.
3. Press Ctrl + Shift +Z returning to normal Version and then click the point position which you have seen in the Equalize Version.

Etc...... Re do these steps to clean dirty points until all of them disappear.

Cheers,
Harry

Kaphias

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:59 am

HarryLi wrote:
Hello ,
It seems that you provided a preview photo here so that we can't see too much detail from it.But from this one , it seems low in frame. The contrast should be ok to me. If you are new to here you can read the " Editing Guide " here : https://www.airliners.net/faq/editing_guide/
That would be great help to you. Besides , regarding to how to remove the dust point from your picture. What i do in PS is
1. Press Ctrl +Shift +Q and then it would changed to " Equalize" version and then you can see some dirty point there.
2. Select that tool which can remove the points ( I forgot the name of it sorry ). And then move it to the point position but DO NOT ERASE FIRST.
3. Press Ctrl + Shift +Z returning to normal Version and then click the point position which you have seen in the Equalize Version.

Etc...... Re do these steps to clean dirty points until all of them disappear.

Cheers,
Harry

Easier way:

duplicate layer
equalize
smart heal/clone stamp tool
select the original layer
click on dust spots
delete equalized layer

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:48 am

HarryLi and Kaphias, many thanks for take your time to explain such details for me! I will improve my photos based on the steps both listed.

seizing the opportunity...how about this one?

HarryLi
Screener

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi,
The whole aircraft makes me feel soft especially the nose and the tail. Besides , the aircraft is low in frame.

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:20 pm

HarryLi wrote:
Hi,
The whole aircraft makes me feel soft especially the nose and the tail. Besides , the aircraft is low in frame.

Do you think I can correct this details ? Follow the steps I've see in this topic?

HarryLi
Screener

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:17 pm

vcruvinel wrote:
HarryLi wrote:
Hi,

Do you think I can correct this details ? Follow the steps I've see in this topic?

Ah ~ actually i am not quiet sure that what happen to the nose but it seems bit of blurry to me. If it is Blurry ... i don't think it is fixable. Besides, if this one isn't the origin one so it would be easy to center the plane and soft and other problems ( Level, contrast , exposure etc.) could be fixed if you follow the editing guide. But pay attention to Over-sharpened. ;)

Cheers,
Harry

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Here is the original photo. Can be improved in all aspects?

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:03 pm

I follow the steps and the guide you guys post....this is the result:

HarryLi
Screener

Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:38 pm

vcruvinel wrote:

Uh ... for this one, the quality of it seems poor for me and some places look blurry for me ( like losing focus )
Maybe is the problem of your camera setting i think ( ISO maybe ? i can see obvious grain ).

Regarding to this one :
https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... 9f76b742c0 ( After your editing version )

It looks oversharpened to me. Obvious jaggys appear. Also grainy to me. To be honest , i think there are some problem of your camera setting, especially the quality mode of photo. :roll:

Cheers,
Harry

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:41 pm

HarryLi wrote:
vcruvinel wrote:

Uh ... for this one, the quality of it seems poor for me and some places look blurry for me ( like losing focus )
Maybe is the problem of your camera setting i think ( ISO maybe ? i can see obvious grain ).

Regarding to this one :
https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... 9f76b742c0 ( After your editing version )

It looks oversharpened to me. Obvious jaggys appear. Also grainy to me. To be honest , i think there are some problem of your camera setting, especially the quality mode of photo. :roll:

Cheers,
Harry

Harry, many thanks for answer all my questions! I really agree with you. I think it`s a camera settings problem...I do not set the correct ISO and other details! It was inexperience of mine. I will take some shots with new settings and post to discuss some little details with you. many thanks again for your time and quick answers!

jelpee

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:05 pm

vcruvinel wrote:

This one looks acceptable to me except that the window is cut off on the left side. If you can crop it to include the whole window, it should be fine.

Jehan

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:34 pm

jelpee wrote:
vcruvinel wrote:

This one looks acceptable to me except that the window is cut off on the left side. If you can crop it to include the whole window, it should be fine.

Jehan

Jehan,

Many thanks for your comments! I took some shots today I will follow the guide that Harry sent to me and post here to listen the comments from the forum user`s. I modify my camera settings to verify some mistakes

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:43 am

Hi.

How about this one? Any suggstions? I followed the guideline that Harry sent

jelpee

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:59 pm

I see the following issues:
Low in Frame
A little over exposed.
The fence is a bit distracting. Unfortunately, if you center the image, you will have to include more of the fence which would be a problem. You could try cropping it in the 16:9 ratio.
There is some banding in the sky (dark strip), but may be passable for a wide angle shot.

Cheers,

Jehan

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:46 pm

Jehan, when I resize the image for 1024px I lost much of the photo quality, I think it's a big problem (even I export with high quality!). The other points I can correct easily, but see the original photo just in case.

airkas1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Can't comment on the quality (I'm at work), but the fence should not be a problem. It doesn't block the aircraft and it would be the first photo in the database since 2008. It's also the first photo where it shows the aircraft in this state.

However, seeing the original, the only way you will be able to avoid the centering problem is to crop in 16L9 ratio and crop it just behidn the tail (cutting off the wing). This crop should not hurt the chances of acceptance though.

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:29 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Can't comment on the quality (I'm at work), but the fence should not be a problem. It doesn't block the aircraft and it would be the first photo in the database since 2008. It's also the first photo where it shows the aircraft in this state.

However, seeing the original, the only way you will be able to avoid the centering problem is to crop in 16L9 ratio and crop it just behidn the tail (cutting off the wing). This crop should not hurt the chances of acceptance though.

Nice, I took this photo yesterday, it's a very recent image! If it's not a problem to cut part of the wing I will do this. When you have some time I appreciate to listen more comments about the modifications I did.

Many thanks for the attention,

Vinicius

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Here is the new photo in 16:9 ratio and did some corrections.

Jehan, the dark stripe is from the aircraft, just a cable that connect the tail to the plane's body.

airkas1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Considering rarity, I find the crop with wings OK regarding the centering. I'll try to give a quality opinion later today.

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:09 pm

airkas1, nice! I will wait for your feedback about the photo details. Many thanks

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:32 pm

taking the opportunity (again and again...:) ) there is another shot. It can be add at nose shots category?

jelpee

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:25 pm

vcruvinel wrote:
Jehan, when I resize the image for 1024px I lost much of the photo quality, I think it's a big problem (even I export with high quality!). The other points I can correct easily, but see the original photo just in case.

You should not lose quality when you resize down to 1024. Typically image quality looks better since the smaller size is more forgiving. I resize before I start other editing. If you resize as the last step, perhaps you will seem some loss of image quality.

The 16:9 crop looks fine to me. Also, as Kas suggested, cropping out the wing would be OK.

Your second image will not qualify for a Nose category since there is too much of the fuselage visible. I find the crop acceptable. Just mark the view as "Normal".

Cheers

Jehan

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:36 pm

You should not lose quality when you resize down to 1024. Typically image quality looks better since the smaller size is more forgiving. I resize before I start other editing. If you resize as the last step, perhaps you will seem some loss of image quality.

The 16:9 crop looks fine to me. Also, as Kas suggested, cropping out the wing would be OK.

Your second image will not qualify for a Nose category since there is too much of the fuselage visible. I find the crop acceptable. Just mark the view as "Normal".

Cheers

Jehan

Jehan, I will repeat the process follow your tip to resize before edit. I will mantain the crop out the wing.

I will upload the second one as normal as you suggest.

Thanks,

Vinicius

airkas1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Keep in mind though that if you upload both photos, one will get hit for 'double'. So I would suggest uploading the wide-angle photo rather than the close-up of the front section.

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:01 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Keep in mind though that if you upload both photos, once will get hit for 'double'. So I would suggest uploading the wide-angle photo rather than the close-up of the front section.

airkas1, nice, I will wait more comments about the photos details, edit if necessary and after that upload to the site!

jelpee

Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:05 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Keep in mind though that if you upload both photos, once will get hit for 'double'. So I would suggest uploading the wide-angle photo rather than the close-up of the front section.

I meant to mention that...I wasn't sure if you wanted to submit the close-up instead of the full view.

Jehan

jelpee

Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:10 pm

vcruvinel wrote:

Cheers

Jehan

Jehan, I will repeat the process follow your tip to resize before edit. I will mantain the crop out the wing.

Thanks,

Vinicius

FYI, my workflow is as follows:
1. Level
2. Crop
3. Resize
4. Contrast, Color
5. Sharpen (aircraft only)
7. Noise reduction (shadow/dark areas only)
8. Check for/remove dust spots/dirt
9. Save

Not the only way, but it works for me.

Jehan

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:32 pm

jelpee wrote:
vcruvinel wrote:

Cheers

Jehan

Thanks,

Vinicius

1. Level
2. Crop
3. Resize
4. Contrast, Color
9. Save

Jehan

Jehan,

I will follow your workflow to see the results! Soon I will update with the results.

Many thanks for you attention (airkas1 and harry too) I learning so many good stuff this days with you guys!

Vinicius

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:55 am

jelpee wrote:
vcruvinel wrote:

Cheers

Jehan

Thanks,

Vinicius

1. Level
2. Crop
3. Resize
4. Contrast, Color
9. Save

Jehan

Jehan, I followed your workflow and get this result. it`s nice to submit?

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 am

Another shot and test...

HarryLi
Screener

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:52 am

Hello , Vinicius
This time , the quality is much better than last time :bigthumbsup: .

Regarding to this one :
https://image.ibb.co/cXboP5/DSC_0268_TESTE1.jpg

The sticks in front of the left wing and gear seem to be distractive. Maybe will get Motive Rejection.

And for the B762 :
https://image.ibb.co/bLaOP5/DSC_0383_TESTE2.jpg
Some parts seem to be oversharpened to me and little bit low in frame i think. Just my personal opinion :D .

Cheers,
Harry

spompert

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:21 am

The Transbrasil has some vignetting in the upper corners and it`s low in frame. If you show some more ground instead of air to improve the centering you also fix the vignetting a bit because you exclude the dark corners by doing that

airkas1

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:41 am

The latest version of the Transbrazil can be higher in frame, since previous versions were higher too. So I would fix that.
The Learjet looks a little blurry on the wing/towards the wingtip, but passable for rarity as it is a new frame for the database.

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:27 am

Hello , Vinicius
This time , the quality is much better than last time :bigthumbsup: .

Regarding to this one :
https://image.ibb.co/cXboP5/DSC_0268_TESTE1.jpg

The sticks in front of the left wing and gear seem to be distractive. Maybe will get Motive Rejection.

And for the B762 :
https://image.ibb.co/bLaOP5/DSC_0383_TESTE2.jpg
Some parts seem to be oversharpened to me and little bit low in frame i think. Just my personal opinion :D .

Cheers,
Harry

Harry, you say the stick in front of the wing and below the window? About the B762: I've tried many times to improve this image but after your comment I see it's oversharpened. I don't know what's is going wrong, but I will try to improve (maybe reset my settings and start again! :lol: :bigthumbsup: ).

The Transbrasil has some vignetting in the upper corners and it`s low in frame. If you show some more ground instead of air to improve the centering you also fix the vignetting a bit because you exclude the dark corners by doing that

spompert, I can unify the sky color to no appear as vignetting, but the sky in Brasilia is like this! this part I did not put any modification. But I really aggree with you that show a lot of the sky maybe it's not the best option, I will update (after work lol) some tries with the tips and will post here

The latest version of the Transbrazil can be higher in frame, since previous versions were higher too. So I would fix that.
The Learjet looks a little blurry on the wing/towards the wingtip, but passable for rarity as it is a new frame for the database.

airkas1, as I said to harry, I've tried to improve this photo but for inexperience reason I've had difficult times haha. But I will try after work improve this with the tips your and our friends tips. About the learjet, I will did some corrections before upload to the database, but it's a rare airplane too (more tha 20 inactive years).

Many thanks guys!!

jelpee

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 pm

Vinicius, For the TB 767, as Kas said, may be a little lower in frame. Also, for me the image is a little bright. Being rare, however, passable.
Re. the stick (obstruction) on the Learjet, it should be OK since it is a permanent item as part of the display, i.e. unavoidable. We accept similar obstructions for museum aircraft as long as it is not too distracting. May be some sharpening may be good as well.

Jehan

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:13 pm

jelpee wrote:
Vinicius, For the TB 767, as Kas said, may be a little lower in frame. Also, for me the image is a little bright. Being rare, however, passable.
Re. the stick (obstruction) on the Learjet, it should be OK since it is a permanent item as part of the display, i.e. unavoidable. We accept similar obstructions for museum aircraft as long as it is not too distracting. May be some sharpening may be good as well.

Jehan

Jehan, instead of being rare shot (B767), I think it's nice to improve the best I can the image (just to maintain the quality of the website photos), so I will get all the tips today after the work and do the correction from the scratch. (I'm not a photo professional, just aviation enthusiast. In time and for curious purpose I'm a Civil Engineer lol).

About the learjet I will do more sharpening, I think a little more contrast will be fine too.

Vinicius

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:11 pm

Just improve some aspects that all of you had comment! Tell me what more I can improve

airkas1

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:25 pm

You could put it even higher in the frame, since the photo from post #19 shows 4 horizontal grooves in the left fence pole.

spompert

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:09 pm

For me a good indication for centering the right way is that when the center of the photo is on the windowline it should be okay. Ofcourse this is not always the case, for example when there is a huge tail or the aircraft is in a rare angle. You can check in PSE by selecting rotate (and it shows you the centerspot).

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:38 pm

Following airkas1 and spompert opinioes, let`s see this new image (I also correct colors and constrast):

EDIT: I've update the image

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:25 pm

I've tried to center the best and equalize sharpness, let's see if it's ok now.

Another shot and editing that I made. I like the colors from TransBrasil. If the crew agree it`s a nice view I will upload too.

jelpee

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:56 pm

Sorry, I meant to say place it higher in the frame...not lower! My error.
Tail looks good, but you have to select the best image from your selection otherwise it will be a "Double". I like the new edit for the full view with additional contrast. May be a little more sharpening.

Jehan

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:24 pm

jelpee wrote:
Sorry, I meant to say place it higher in the frame...not lower! My error.
Tail looks good, but you have to select the best image from your selection otherwise it will be a "Double". I like the new edit for the full view with additional contrast. May be a little more sharpening.

Jehan

I mean cut more the fence?

jelpee

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:39 pm

Your latest edit of the entire aircraft looks acceptable to me.

Jehan

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:05 am

jelpee wrote:
Your latest edit of the entire aircraft looks acceptable to me.

Jehan

Nice, I will upload and see what screeners will say. There is any problem to put more photos to get feedback? I editing now the Learjet and after a TAM Airlines Airbus. I'm really learning new and good stuff with all of you but I don`t want to 'flood'the forum.

airkas1

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:54 am

vcruvinel wrote:
There is any problem to put more photos to get feedback? I editing now the Learjet and after a TAM Airlines Airbus. I'm really learning new and good stuff with all of you but I don`t want to 'flood'the forum.

No problem! Best to keep all your questions concentrated to a single thread.

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:27 pm

airkas1 wrote:
vcruvinel wrote:
There is any problem to put more photos to get feedback? I editing now the Learjet and after a TAM Airlines Airbus. I'm really learning new and good stuff with all of you but I don`t want to 'flood'the forum.

No problem! Best to keep all your questions concentrated to a single thread.

Ok, nice! I uploaded the photo to airliner DB...let's see the feedback. After that I will put more photos here to discuss.

Many thanks!

vcruvinel
Support
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:09 am

Hi I'm back again ;)

I did some edition in this image, following the best practices from the guide. Here is the result:

tips? improvements? same questions as aways. :)

airkas1

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:39 am

It's a poor crop, too much space on the left, while the tail on the right side is cut off. Also a double with the wide view that you uploaded.