Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YQZ380
Topic Author

Post-Screening: YQZ380

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:24 am

Hi all, I have had this rejection for some time now:

Rejected for motive (horizontal stabilizer clipped), noise and underexposed after some second opinions:

Regarding the motive rejection, wouldn't it be acceptable to crop the horizontal stabiliser all the way to the fuselage? In my original shot, I had the full horizontal stabiliser in view, though I thought it would look more appealing if I did a tighter cropped.

As for noise, I am quite surprised at this rejection, considering I used quite a bit of noise reduction (this image was shot at ISO 800), and I have seen much noisier/grainier shots accepted on this site.

For underexposed, I am at a dilemma at this rejection. For one, I did think the shot could use a bit more brightening, though I do not want to overexpose the floodlights and the sky around.

I would greatly appreciate any opinion on this.

Regards,
Yang

HarryLi
Screener

Re: Post-Screening: YQZ380

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 am

Hello Yang,
To be honest , this one looks not bad to me. I am not quiet sure about the "Motive" rejection as i like to crop include the whole aircraft.
Regarding to the "Noise" issue, it's acceptable for me. Actually, i can't see any obvious noise from your picture.And i indeed see worse photos in DB. Finally is the Exposure problem, i think the current exposure is ok. Well, if you keep adding exposure to it i think the top of the plane would be overexposed. Especially the part which above the cockpit. Thus, i think the exposure is ok for me.

Besides, did u take this one in Beijing Capital Airport ? :roll: because the background is familiar to me.
Cheers,
Harry

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:27 am

Hi Yang,

according to the rules a cropped stabilizer isn't automatically a motive rejection, though personally I would prefer to leave it in such a shot as well. Due to the tail, you can't really crop it a lot tighter, so this wouldn't change a lot IMO.

I think it could be a tad brighter without the top being OE.

Grain / noise wouldn't be an issue for me neither.

Julien

airkas1

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:32 am

Hey Yang,

I don't see the noise and the motive would be passable for me too. However I do feel there is some room for tweaking the exposure.

YQZ380
Topic Author

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks Harry, Julien and Kas for the quick reply! Edited the photo according to your suggestions, tweaked the exposure and left the horizontal stabiliser in.

HarryLi wrote:
Besides, did u take this one in Beijing Capital Airport ? because the background is familiar to me.

Yes indeed!

Here's another one that got rejected, a Thai 772 taking off at Auckland in some rather poor lighting that got rejected for blurry, soft and low contrast:

I'm not too sure for the low contrast or blurry; I think the wheels are sufficiently black (though the background may play a role) and the original is sharp. How should I re-edit this photo (if it is salvageable)?

Cheers,
Yang

HarryLi
Screener

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi Yang ,
First of all, thank you for your reply on my Post :)
And regarding to this one, the contrast looks not bad to be honest. But i think it still could be increased a little bit. Besides, the whole plane seems soft to me especially the title ,windows line and the tail. Regarding to the Blurry reason, i am not quiet sure but maybe due to soft. Is it blurry at the Original pic ?

Cheers,
Harry

airkas1

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Should be OK with an increase in sharpening and some more contrast.