Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

roadrunner
Topic Author

Re: Creative Photos.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:05 pm

I would love to know what Airliners.net interpretation/guidelines of 'Creative' is? Since we all have different opinions of what creative is! For example, a few years back I'd sent in a photo of a Tiger Moth. It was a tight shot, with the emphasis on the pilot's goggles resting on the side of his cockpit, the registration of the aircraft in visible in the background. The rejection reason was 'BAD MOTIF'!

Goto https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertfrola/6772564173/. Can't seem to embed my image in this thread from my hard drive.

To me I'm being creative. Beats seeing hundreds of side shots, 3/4 shots etc. If this photo fits the guidelines of 'Creative' could I resubmit it?

I have also had this rejection regarding this category.

I like how the photo turned out. Regardless of why the photo was rejected, eg: banding (I think the screener is referring to the glow around the aircraft - that is how the camera captured the seen), soft and blurry (if it was a normal photo, sure I'll accept that - bad photo, but the emphasis is not on the detailing in the shadows but the overall look of the photo. The bright glow to the right of the main undercarriage is an aircraft taking off (stirring up the dusty runway which is not sealed)

The Screener also left a comment regarding this photo: "Diagonal banding in front of the tail, aircraft soft (could be caused by being a bit blurry). The silhouet-type shot doesn't really work with the sun up like that and just a bright blue background."

That's his opinion and I'll accept that it's his opinion. And no malaise towards the screener is intended. It's a difficult category to screen. But creative is imaginative, innovative, experimental, original; artistic, expressive, inspired, unconventional, unorthodox, unusual, or out of the ordinary! Regardless of whether the sky is bright blue!

Doesn't my photo fit within the meaning of the word 'creative'?

ChrisKen

Re: Re: Creative Photos.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Aircraft too dark, regardless of 'motive'.

It's a long way from being an aesthetically 'standout' photo imho. Sorry.

roadrunner
Topic Author

Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:08 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
Aircraft too dark, regardless of 'motive'.

It's a long way from being an aesthetically 'standout' photo imho. Sorry.

I think you are missing the point. Well, its a silhouette photo, the aircraft detail wasn't the priority, otherwise I would have taken it from the sun side now. There is another photo of this aircraft that I have taken taken has been accepted onto the database if you want to see a normal, boring, 'run of the mill' aircraft photo, like the thousands of others that are on the database. I'm sure you have thousands of quality 'normal' photos that have been accepted onto the Airliners.net database.

Being a photographer, sometimes you need to think outside the box. That is what creative is. I was standing and my eyesight was practically at ground level when this photo was taken with my 18mm lens. The aircraft was parked quite close to me and this is the effect the camera captured that morning.

I suppose what constitutes a good/great photo is nothing but a matter of opinion. Do you like night photos? Maybe you don't as the aircraft is too dark.

Thanks for your honest reply. Much appreciate it.

ChrisKen

Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:33 pm

I wasn't getting into the specifics and technicals, that's for the screeners to do.

Aesthetically, for me, it's not good.
Night photos are good, as are dusk and day, however this seems to be none of them.
The 'silhouette' looks very wrong against the bright blue sky and even worse when you throw in the dark foreground. Bringing out the foreground may well help the shot considerably.
Add to that it's rather lopsided in the frame, eyes are just pulled to the left.
I'm sorry, I think it's a pretty average shot; neither particularly creative or well executed (certainly not within the bounds of airliners.net acceptance). Possibly blunt but honest.

I think you may be missing the point of the database.
It's a catalogue of aircraft pictures, pictures that clearly show the relevant aircraft.
While airliners.net allow some room for creativity, it's not the site's raison d'etre; that would be the previous line.

JakTrax

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:45 pm

I quite like your silhouette shot but I'd agree that it's nothing special, and it's not particularly creative. 'Creative' seems to be a word overused in this digital age, and in my opinion most often applies to opportunistic photos rather than truly creative examples. Creative images really take some thought and execution if you ask me, as well as, quite often, a fair slice of luck.

Here's a shot of mine some might consider 'creative', yet all I had to do was get into a position where the subject was backlit by the setting sun - hardly creative!

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Brussels ... BwJY%2BTeb

As for the comment about not wanting to see a load of 'boring' side-ons, many people (myself included) would rather look at those than some silhouette shot.... after all, this site was originally conceived with that type of photo in mind. This attitude towards sunny side-ons and their advocates in the digital age is unfair and undeserved, since a perfect side-on is every bit as difficult to get right as a many a creative - the difference these days is Photoshop can easily rescue a badly composed shot.

I really don't understand this recent resentment towards side-on shooters, like they're lazier, lesser photographers who only choose that type of shot because it's all they can do.

airkas1

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:14 pm

There is no clear cut definition on creative, since it will always be a bit subjective. I do tend to agree with what Karl wrote. However I also do agree in an extent to your definition of creative in your first post. It's a very thin line. And then there are photos that we personally consider creative, but not for A.net rules. That's why all 4 HS need to give their opinion on a shot that is marked creative. So we always have a consensus.

Regarding the photo of the goggles, it's just a 'snapshot' of pilot's goggles hanging out of an aircraft, with a bad (for A.net) crop. To me, that photo is not creative at all. For your silhouet shot, it doesn't look that great against a blue sky. But even against a pink/orange sky, I wouldn't call it creative. Just making the most of the opportunity. Part of me does like it, but maybe more in a personal level.

Banding usually refers to horizontal (in your case diagional in front of the tail) lines in the sky.