Kaphias
Topic Author

Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:07 pm

Trying to get back into the swing of things here... been over a year since I last edited/uploaded anything. I'd appreciate any feedback on this variety of shots. Also looking for any tips for editing in Adobe CameraRAW, particularly regarding sharpening and noise reduction. Thanks!

Matthew

len90

Re: Pre-Screening (Kaphias)

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:30 am

First one: Motive is the only thing I'm not sure about with that composition
Horizon: Oversharp and might be a bit blurry at the rear half of the fuselage
FedEx feeder: Low contrast
Alaska 737: Looks to be some motion blur, visible on the windows above the registration, and the rear door. Might be dark and low contrast as well
Ward Air 53: Dark and grainy
Ward Air 58: slight CW rotation
Len90

airkas1
Crew

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:37 am

Beech18: looks really nice, I would accept that in a heartbeat.
Dash8: marginal, but passable
C208: marginal, blurryish
B737: blurry, flat
DHC2: marginal, underexposed, blurry, quality
DHC2: passable
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

Kaphias
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Belated thanks Len and Kas for your help... great to be back sharing photos here after a long break.

I'd like some help regarding a few rejections:

Initially rejected for underexposed, reuploaded (with fixes) and rejected for over sharpened and banding. I'm really struggling to see the banding, and I believe I see some jaggies on the stripes at the far left of frame... anywhere else?

Initially rejected for underexposed, reuploaded (with fixes) and rejected for blurry, compression, and underexposed. Thoughts? I'll try a smaller size, but I'm editing from the RAW file every time... compression would seem strange. First time trying cabin shots and it's a bit tricky.

Finally, this was rejected for dark, overexposed, soft, and low contrast. No saving this one probably, but any suggestion for these kind of shots in the future? I don't have a flash besides the crappy onboard.

Thanks!
Matthew

jelpee
Crew

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:42 pm

#1 is passable for me. There is slight banding in the sky (the dark layer at the top of the frame), but I think it is within acceptable limits. I don't see any jaggies that would cause me to reject. You could try an appeal.
#2 seems flat. A slight boost in brightness and contrast should fix that. Slight blurriness is visible (caused by depth of field) on the panel closest to the left side.You could try cropping that part out of the frame. However, there seems to be chromatic aberration (purple fringing) along the window frame especially on the left side. The crop would fix that as well.
#3: The panel is underexposed and the view out of the window is a bit over exposed. And I agree with soft. These are difficult exposures. The only way I have found that provides a balanced exposure is to meter for the outside, preserve that setting in Manual mode (vs. Av or Auto) and then use a flash to illuminate the interior. An TTL setting on the flash should give you a nice exposure inside while the manual aperture setting should give you a good exposure for the outside. The flash should also provide a nice crisp image of the flight deck and panels. Best to use a diffuser on your flash head and angle it up (i.e. bounce it) to avoid any reflection of the flash on the panels.

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

airkas1
Crew

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:49 am

1) I don't see the banding. The titles are a little on the sharp side. I would crop closer on the sides though (next to the titles and next to the prop).
2) Agree with what Jehan wrote. It's a ncie shot, but technically there may be a little too many small issues.
3) A tough shot without an external flash and unfrotunately not that great in terms of quality, sorry :( The glare on the center console doesn't help either.
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener