Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Topic Author

Motive Question - airshow

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:59 am

Hi guys,

have a motive questions concerning airshows. On the weekend we had the "Tag der Luftfahrt" at Frankfurt Airport, which was mainly a static exhibtion ov several aircraft (A380, 737, DC-6, ATR72 and so on).

I have that shot in the Queue:

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... ed30acc2a9

Officially you are allowed to upload one wider and one closer view on airshows, so would this other shot of the DC-6 be accetable in additon - or is it too similar?
It is not edited at all and I might chose another frame - so it is only a Motive-question:

ImageIMG_3790a1-forum

Looking forward to some helpful responses.

Cheers,
Julien

YQZ380

Re: Motive Question - airshow

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi Julien,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the double upload rule on airshows applicable only to air-to-ground shots?

"For air-to-ground airshow, boneyard, and airport overviews, we accept both a wide view and closer crops of each of the aircraft visible in the wider view."

That being said, I think the shots are too similar. Both shots show mostly the front end of the DC-6 and the LH A380 behind it. If the double upload rule did apply for ground shots, I think it would be better if you had a shot of the DC-6 from the rear, or a wide-angle shot from the side including the wings.

Cheers,
Yang

Miguel1982

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:59 pm

On the queued shot, the A380 has as much protagonism as the DC-6. Both are equally important to the composition. In this second shot, the fact that the A380 partially appears in the background is a pure coincidence. It plays no role in the competition nor could it be avoided.

Due to that, I'm inclined to think that both shots should not be considered Double. That is my personal opinion, site acceptance rules might differ. Maybe Kas can chime in?

Cheers,

M

HarryLi
Screener

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi, Julien
I guess ... they are not double as both of them are different composition and according to the "Acceptance Guide " of A.net. It said that
The spirit of the double rule is intended to allow different images that show a different view, composition, or otherwise tell a different story to the viewer. If images are too similar or merely a sequence separated by seconds with no compelling differences, they may be considered double at the screeners discretion.

So ... in my personal perspective, i think it is ok.

Cheers,
Harry

airkas1

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Miguel1982 wrote:
Maybe Kas can chime in?

:wave:

First of all, really nice shots and good eye for the composition of the noses-photo!

As for the motive question:
JKPhotos wrote:
Officially you are allowed to upload one wider and one closer view on airshows

YQZ380 wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the double upload rule on airshows applicable only to air-to-ground shots?

Yang is correct, as the Acceptance Guide has this to say:
"For air-to-ground airshow, boneyard, and airport overviews, we accept both a wide view and closer crops of each of the aircraft visible in the wider view."

Personally, I would be more inclined to accept both than to reject one of them for double, because I can fall back on the sentence Harry pointed out:
The spirit of the double rule is intended to allow different images that show a different view, composition, or otherwise tell a different story to the viewer.

For me, the noses-image tells a different story, especially if you wrote an appealing caption to go with the noses-photo (past vs present, etc., blabla).
Howeeeeeeever, this is all up to screener's discretion. And we all know what that means...

Miguel1982

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:07 pm

It means that Kas will reject them. Both. Double rejection.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

HarryLi
Screener

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:33 pm

Uh ~~~ such a interesting and meaningful question haha~ :bigthumbsup:

airkas1

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Miguel1982 wrote:

With a free ban on the house :white:

HarryLi
Screener

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:45 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Miguel1982 wrote:

With a free ban on the house :white:

:scratchchin: wow , good luck for him.

Topic Author

Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Wow, all these responses in this short time.... Thanks to everybody for participating and for your kind words

airkas1 wrote:
Miguel1982 wrote:
Maybe Kas can chime in?

JKPhotos wrote:

YQZ380 wrote:

I've read this as well, but I honestly thought that there was just a comma missing stating: For, air-to-ground, airshow, boneyard..... For "air-to-ground airshow"shots was a bit too specific for my taste, but then be it ! :-)

Otherwise I agree with the point of Miguel and Harry and also Kas, that for me these are 2 totally different motives, otherwise I wouldn't have asked
I really like the DC-6 and its metallic looks, but due to the rather tight fencing around the aircraft this is the widest I could get (had to use 10mm for it after all!!), otherwise I would have gone for a more side-on view..

With that feedback I will also edit the true DC-6 shot and put in the queue. If I had to chose I would go for the first one that is already in the Queue for 2 days, so I put them in the right order :-)

I will risk the ban then, joking aside, let's see what happens, I see it is a rather subjective point how similar or not both are. I won't blame the screening team for any decision, that's for sure...

Again thanks a lot to all of you!! The amount of responses remind me of the good, old days :-)
See ya,
Julien

HarryLi
Screener

Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:32 pm

JKPhotos wrote:
Wow, all these responses in this short time.... Thanks to everybody for participating and for your kind words

airkas1 wrote:
Miguel1982 wrote:
Maybe Kas can chime in?

JKPhotos wrote:

YQZ380 wrote:

I've read this as well, but I honestly thought that there was just a comma missing stating: For, air-to-ground, airshow, boneyard..... For "air-to-ground airshow"shots was a bit too specific for my taste, but then be it ! :-)

Otherwise I agree with the point of Miguel and Harry and also Kas, that for me these are 2 totally different motives, otherwise I wouldn't have asked
I really like the DC-6 and its metallic looks, but due to the rather tight fencing around the aircraft this is the widest I could get (had to use 10mm for it after all!!), otherwise I would have gone for a more side-on view..

With that feedback I will also edit the true DC-6 shot and put in the queue. If I had to chose I would go for the first one that is already in the Queue for 2 days, so I put them in the right order :-)

I will risk the ban then, joking aside, let's see what happens, I see it is a rather subjective point how similar or not both are. I won't blame the screening team for any decision, that's for sure...

Again thanks a lot to all of you!! The amount of responses remind me of the good, old days :-)
See ya,
Julien

You're welcome Julien ! Both of them are great photos !!!! In my opinion , i prefer the photo in the queue ~ I like that composition and i think the second one has too many other things which are not related to the airplane ( I can understand that they can't be avoided ). But anyway they are good photos if one of them get rejected can collect them !

HarryLi
Screener

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:09 pm

wow ! I saw your photo has accepted ! Nice !

Topic Author

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Thanks a lot, Harry. Unfortunately the only one of my shots affected by the missing thumbnail issue, so less visibiltiy, but nice to have it on the site.

HarryLi
Screener

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:32 am

JKPhotos wrote:
Thanks a lot, Harry. Unfortunately the only one of my shots affected by the missing thumbnail issue, so less visibiltiy, but nice to have it on the site.

:ashamed: I had the same situation.

airkas1

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:43 am

Yeah, I had the same too. But it seems that the thumbnails are back and your photo isn't doing so bad after all :)

HarryLi
Screener

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:59 am

airkas1 wrote:
Yeah, I had the same too. But it seems that the thumbnails are back and your photo isn't doing so bad after all :)

:hissyfit: When can it be better ? I still have it now .. :?

Topic Author

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:27 am

airkas1 wrote:

Yeah, now they are back.
Yes it is doing ok, I wasn't complaining, epecially as a lot of shots had that problem.