zackymoss
Topic Author

Rejected after HQ1

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:43 pm

Can anyone help me to sort out whether this picture below was correctly rejected for the reasons: noise, halos...? If it's such a major flaw, than how didn't the first screener notice them or is it the second screener sees something that's not there...? I I appealed the picture cause I don't seem to find any of these, after having shown the picture to a number of plane spotters and photographers...
http://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... a458ec74b4

HarryLi

Re: Rejected after HQ1

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi,
I have downloaded your photo and checked it in PS. I can see obvious Halo around the aircraft. You can use "Equalize " in PS and then you can see the halo around it .( Black circle around the aircraft) especially the front part of the plane.Regarding to the noise problem i think is ok for me. But i think you can give it some contrast.
Cheers,
Harry
I am a Guangzhou Spotter. My photos are here : http://www.airliners.net/search?user=20 ... =viewCount :D

airkas1
Head Screener

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:58 pm

The first screener noticed the noise and halos, but HQ1'd it for a second screener to see. The second screener agreed with the first and rejected the photo. I can't comment on the quality as I'm not on my screening PC at the moment, so I will get back to you about that later.

ben811118

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 am

Zoom in or use Equalize you may find much noise and some dirty points on blue sky.

JKPhotos

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:07 am

Hi,

unfortunately the shot is noisy and dirty. There is a white spec under the front Wheel and a big grey point at the left side of the frame. To be honest the shot doesn't look the sharpest to me, this might be a problem when doing another edit. Maybe affcted by heat haze?
Otherwise it looks like you used the shadow / highlight tool, as shadows are rather light for a seemingly clear day in summertime. Applying the shadow/highlight tool to a blue sky will unfortunately always produce halos.

And like Kas says HQ1 means as well that a screeners wants another screener to see it and that already the first one did see some kind of flaws in the shot (otherwise he would have accpted it straight away).

Julien

airkas1
Head Screener

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:53 am

- The sky is a bit noisy
- Dust spot left edge of frame and a white spot in the sky, underneath the nose gear
- The image needs more contrast
- Halos aren't actually that bad
- It looks a little soft/hazed and could benefit from a little bit of extra sharpening

zackymoss
Topic Author

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:09 pm

I would like to thank everyone for constructive and informative feedback! Definitely gave me some insight for improvement and to edit with more careful consideration.