Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

frippe
Topic Author

Polarizer? +sharpening?

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:23 am

Hello, all fellow Airliners,

Two questions, please

Is it always wrong to leave the polarizing filter on when there is sunshine and lots of reflexions? Two examples follow from the Annual Airshow when I left it on and had rejections:
Vignetting
Is this photo beyond "repair" even if I try once more from RAW to remove the polarixing effect, here seen as vignetting?

Soft and Vignetting
Here I do not really see the softness. Where is it? Overall?

For the two photos above I lazily left my DSLR at home and used a Sony A6000 with a polarizing filter and in-camera corrections for distortion etc ON.

The revised Wizz Air livery gives me rejection after rejection for so many reasons, even blurred and heat haze.
Should I turn OFF all sharpening in camera and use RAW and then use a brush in PS to add sharpness only in selected areas?

I used a Nikon D500 and the brand new 3rd generation of telezoom 70-200, so I must be the one to blame for misusing such expensive equipment!
EXIF-data:
1/1600
f/6.3
ISO 100

Thanks for your kind input,
Frippe, waiting for shot nr 700 to be added!

jelpee

Re: Polarizer? +sharpening?

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Nothing wrong with using a polarizing filter since it can result in rich colors as well as increase or decrease reflections. Unfortunately, the use of a polarizing filter does cause banding in the sky especially on wide angle shots when the sun is at certain angles. And banding/vignetting can be reasons for rejections here at a.net. For aviation photos, I do not use a polarizing filter unless I am photographing a canopy or cockpit shot and I want to avoid the reflection from the glass.

Re. the shots above, I was unable to view the full sized image in order to comment on the "softness." Softness could have nothing to do with the use of the polarizing filter unless it is a cheap one and therefore impacted the image quality. I set my Nikon camera's picture mode to "Standard" (i.e. no sharpening) and apply sharpening in layers in Photoshop Elements and use the eraser tool to eliminate areas that are oversharpened (i.e. where jaggies become visible). I do not shoot RAW...always JPEG at ISO 100. It seems to work fine for me. Nothing you can do for heat haze except come back at on a different day :)

Jehan

frippe
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks a lot for the input!

I have now uploaded a new edit from JPG, using only the basic adjustments in PhotoShop.

But if this version will also be rejected BLURRY I can not understand really how a panned shot at 1/1600 can be blurry.
Bad camera technique?
Multiple phocus points to be chosen instead of only the middle one?
Or what do you suggest?
Faulty lens? But then Nikon is really to blame, since you can buy a used car for the same money as they charge for this newest version of the classic telezoom.

As to the tricky titles I will from now on remove all sharpening in the camera, if this one also gets OVERSHARP.

Or could it be that the cropping ratio1024x683px is no good? I tried 1200x800px in the edit above:

frippe
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Yippeee!
This last effort was successful:

Thank you, all screeners, for your patience with a row of priority uploads with flaws. But I tried my best to learn from your rejections.

And to Jelpee in post nr 2 above, thanks for sharing your expertice, it helped me back to basics.

Frippe
photo nr 700 now in db

ben811118

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:04 am

Personally
1. Some areas is still soft. especially the middle area .
2.Darkness. You can open it in PS and see the histogram. The highlight area is not bright enough. Maybe you want to protect some details on the head. It isn't worth and lead to the darkness of the whole pic. Bright (not overexposed ) photo is much more acceptable by screeners on A.net. The livery is special and unique, any unimportant problem is nothing at all.
3.How to judge it is soft or oversharpened? Firstly use 100% or even larger view and you can find unnatural oversharpened border which usually appears between the bright and dark areas. Secondly, develop your ability by watching photos from others. As time goes by, it will be easy.

jelpee

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:27 pm

Congratulations Fride--glad my input helped! I keep my editing simple. My main priority is to take a technically good picture first and then do minor editing secondarily. Honestly, I do not have much patience to spend time editing pictures...I usually spend about 5 minutes per picture in editing :Level, Crop, Resize, Brightness/Contrast, Sharpening, Noise Reduction (if needed), check for dirt/dust spots, Save, & Upload).

Jehan