Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

parmelbe
Topic Author

Beginner Looking for Feedback

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Hello, all,

I've submitted a few photos here and so far haven't gotten any accepted and was wondering what I can do to improve. One of the biggest issues I'm having is with compression. I shoot with a Sony a6000, import to Photos on my iMac then export to Lightroom still RAW. Then I'll edit and export as JPEG at 1024px with the highest possible quality settings. Is this too many steps? In my opinion my images look great in Flickr, etc., but then they get rejected and when I see the copy that's returned with the feedback they look atrocious. I'm also still learning the tricks of Lightroom and Photoshop, so any advice would be very welcome. Thanks!

Rejected: Compression, Blurry, Soft
Imagefarewell525 by Brendon Byrd-Parmelee, on Flickr
This was following the last 737-500 arrival at HOU, about to taxi to the hangar for retirement.

Not submitted, looking for feedback
ImageWestJet736 by Brendon Byrd-Parmelee, on Flickr

ImageHOU 2-5-17 - 9-Edit by Brendon Byrd-Parmelee, on Flickr

Imageturn2 by Brendon Byrd-Parmelee, on Flickr

HarryLi
Screener

Re: Beginner Looking for Feedback

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Hello ,
Regarding to your editing step, i would like to say that it is better to use RAW to edit a photo instead of using JPEG. And the photo is very soft and windows and the tail seems blurry.
And the second one seems not very center since the left side has more space than the right side .Besides, the aircraft is very soft you should sharp it more.
Regarding to the third one, there are some dirty spot above the aircraft and i think it can be brighter a bit of dark.In addition, i think the level should CW a little.
The final one, soft i think.

Actually, A.net has editing guide that can help you editing aircraft.
And here is the link : https://www.airliners.net/faq/editing_guide/
I don't know whether you have read it, but i think it is very helpful. Besides, i think you can see some other photographer's photo in Database you can know how to edit your photos better.
Cheers,
Harry

airkas1

Re: Beginner Looking for Feedback

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:39 am

Hi Brendon,

Regarding processing the photos; I would recommend to copy the photos to your harddrive. Then open them in Lightroom/Photoshop. It could be that the compression issue lies in the fact that you resize the photo as one of the last steps. I personally tend to resize as one of the first steps after adjusting the photo in the RAW converter. Then level, crop and resize. After that, I make some minor last minute corrections if needed and then sharpen it as the last step. Then I save the photo.

- I agree that the first Southwest looks blurry/soft. The 'quality' was likely added to indicate that it is not fixable unfortunately.
- The Westjet looks out of focus. So blurry, quality for that one.
- The Mad Dog doesn't look that bad, but it needs some more contrast, sharpening and adjusted framing (it's currently a bit low in frame). But it could be passable after post-processing.
- The engine close-up needs a much closer crop, but that one could also be passable with the right post-processing.