Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xxxpan
Topic Author

PostScreening - Borders rejection -- XP

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi all,

Lately I have received quite a few rejections due to 'borders' - and I have to admit I do seem to see a very thin light/white border surrounding the photo as well in the photo corner page.

However these photos were cropped with blue sky around (not around the edge) so I am not sure where this white border is coming from. I am using PS CS6 and with the cropping tool. With all the other rejections I know how to fix them but for this one I am clueless at the moment. I would appreciate any advice regarding it.

an example:
https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/1/4/9/4283941.jpg?v=v48492fc81bf

Thanks!
XP

airkas1

Re: PostScreening - Borders rejection -- XP

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:44 pm

Hey XP,

I did notice the borders issue this afternoon as well, some of your photos had them, some didn't. I found that a bit strange too. I guess borders are usually caused by any other number than "0" at 'feather' in the top bar when cropping. I'm not aware of any other way of getting them.

However in your example, I don't really see any. The other photos were worse.

xxxpan
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Hey Kas, thanks for the quick reply - I have guessed it is the feather thing but don't seem to find any settings for it in my PS.

Btw in that case do you think I should appeal this photo given that the only rejection was 'border' for this one?

airkas1

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:23 pm

Hm, it's odd. I just checked the log and when clicking the images there (and your link here), the borders seem much less obvious than this afternoon during screening. I'm not sure whether to advise to appeal or not (the aircraft also seems a little hazed/marginal). But you can always try and see what the verdict is. If you do decide to appeal, at least you will be wiser regarding the borders, as another HS will process the photo.

xxxpan
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:39 pm

I did some quick googling regarding feather when cropping, someone suggested do not use 'Delete Cropped Pixels' when cropping and that does seem to improve things a little bit.

Thanks a lot Kas. In this case I think I will pick a different shot and resubmit. It seems to be quite a big challenge for me to get these Feltham park shots accepted so far...

len90

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:04 am

It's about a 1-2 pixel border on the image provided. There is no white line but rather a faint change in the blue sky visible around the aircraft. Are you doing anything else like lens correction?

Kaphias

Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:27 am

I experience this issue on many of my photos as well (PS CC 2017), the outer 1 pixel is about 50% transparent. Really bizarre and I've been unable to find a solution.

xxxpan
Topic Author

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:40 am

len90 wrote:
It's about a 1-2 pixel border on the image provided. There is no white line but rather a faint change in the blue sky visible around the aircraft. Are you doing anything else like lens correction?

Thanks len90 - but I am pretty sure 'border' means white lines around the frame rather than around the aircraft. The one around the aircraft is normally called 'Helos'
XP

len90

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Sorry I meant around the frame. That's what I get for trying to post while on a busy week with minimal sleep!