Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MauE
Topic Author

Rejection "editing atrocities"

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Hello,

I got a photo rejected today with following reason "we do not accept such editing atrocities, please do not try again, thank you [...]"

In my opinion, the text is pretty inpolite and disrespecful, since I just added a bit of clarity to bring out the clouds.

Wouldn´t it be nicer, if the screening team would use factual language?

Looking forward to hear your opinions,

Maurits

airkas1

Re: Rejection "editing atrocities"

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi Maurits,

I agree that the photo is way too overedited for A.net (and you should've realized this). The personal message should've been worded differently.

AlexS

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:43 pm

Hello,

I have to agree with Maurits, in my opinion it is simply rude to call such a photo an "editing atrocity", even if it doesn't really comply with the standards of the site.

Regards

vikkyvik

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:01 pm

airkas1 wrote:
I agree that the photo is way too overedited for A.net (and you should've realized this)

Too overedited? Yes.
Worst I've seen? No, not by a long shot.
Worth trying given the new Creative team? Sure, why not?
And more importantly, is it a nice shot? Many would say yes.

No reason to use such harsh language.

sralfalo

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:43 pm

Indeed a nice image but for this site it certainly is way too overedited and as a regular uploader one could have known.
Looking at your log Maurits it also seems you have been asked a few weeks ago not to upload overedited images. Rather than issuing a warning the screener decided to leave another (this time rather stern) personal message.
Keep up the good work Maurits but please also keep it natural! ;-)

Lars

MauE
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:52 am

Hello guys, thanks for your answers.

In my question I focused more on the way the picture got rejected, less on if the picture is over-edited or not!

Regarding the picture: As Vik wrote, I just wanted to give it a shot, because my initial understanding of the new "creative" secion was, to also allow pictures with a little bit more editing.

And... actually I don´t think it´s THAT much over-edited as you guys wrote, otherwise I wouldn´t have uploaded it. But I guess thats personal assessment. Now I know that its not something for Airliners and will consider that for my following uploads.

sralfalo wrote:
Looking at your log Maurits it also seems you have been asked a few weeks ago not to upload overedited images. Rather than issuing a warning the screener decided to leave another (this time rather stern) personal message.

That´s correct, but I always thought (and still think), that Airliners.net is the most reputable and respectful website when it comes to aviation photography. That´s why I just really didnt´t expect that harsh and inpolite language in my rejection.

And only to use that language, because I somewhen uploaded an other over-edited image is a bit ridiculous, isn´t it? (What will happen, if I upload yet another picture in that style, maybe a permanent ban? :mrgreen: )

Don´t get me wrong. The crew at Airliners.net is doing a great job to keep the standards high, that´s what I appreciate the most. But since the reputation of this website is very very good, I think the interaction with the photographers should be also respectful and objective.

Maybe thats a thing to think about.

Best Regards,

Maurits

JakTrax

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:51 am

To be frank I'm not convinced the motive warrants such processing. It's an attractive shot but opportunistic rather than technically superb or challenging (the fact that you needed to edit it in this way is testimony to that). The site must make a better distinction between creative and opportunistic, because many images I see here are very nice but not particularly creative.

To me, creative is something pretty well planned because of its complexity, and perhaps something that takes a couple of attempts to perfect. Nature suddenly presenting a rainbow behind a plane isn't creative, in my opinion.