cjmoeser
Topic Author

Post Screening - Creative Airbus A319

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi all,

I got this one rejected today. I wasn't expecting it to be accepted due to the fact that this is my first try on something like this.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/air ... 645283373a

Reasons for rejection was:
Blurry
- Low Contrast
- Motive
- Personal
"Very nice attempt, but too blurry and top of arc cut off ruining the composition.

So, how would I improve on this next time I shoot something like this? I can't ask the marsheler not to move because she has to when parking the plane. I took this a 30 seconds at 9f @100 ISO with a Pentax K3 and Pentax 35MM should I use a shorter exposure time?

Thanks,
Colin

McG1967

Re: Post Screening - Creative Airbus A319

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:10 pm

You could move yourself and the camera slightly further back to get the full arc of the wands in.
You could also go for a slightly longer exposure in order to get more of the aircraft at rest.
Did you manually focus the lens or use autofocus? I think trial and error with different exposure lengths and focus settings until you get the right combo. Once you have that you should be able to nail the shot consistently then.

cjmoeser
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:48 pm

I actually cropped out the top or else it wouldn't be centered. Should I try pointing the camera down a tab bit then?
I may play around with the exposure settings a bit to find the right balance.
I used Auto-focus as I was far back enough to where everything was the same.

vikkyvik

Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:10 am

That's a shame that your photo wasn't accepted. I personally think this is the sort of photo that should be accepted.

Sure, there are some things you could have done differently, at least crop-wise. But it's still a great photo. I don't find the blurriness problematic.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

cjmoeser
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:03 am

Let me redo the crop and see how that works along with some other tweaks. I'll get back to you guys shortly.

airkas1
Crew

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:32 am

Hi Colin,

First of all I would like to say that it was nice to come across your photo in the queue. Even though it could use improvement, I welcome the attempt and encourage you and everyone else to keep trying. Regarding the improvements:

- It would be nicer to look at if the whole arc was included. If that makes the photo unbalanced, then I would suggest to move a bit further back next time. If the composition requires a bit more foreground to be visible, then that would be OK, but be careful to not overexpose that part too much.

- I recommend using a faster shutter speed. You mention 30 seconds, but I would use a lower number, for example 10 seconds. To compensate the exposure, you can bump up the ISO a bit. You can then see how that goes and tweak the settings until you're satisfied. Reducing the exposure time also makes my next point easier to execute.

- You could perhaps ask the marshaller to keep still as much as possible (without having him/her/you break any rules of course). Explain what you're trying to do and show the results afterwards. That might give them a better understanding of what you're trying to do.

I don't mean to brag/plug/whatever, but I will try to illustrate the difference using my own version of this type of photo.

You can see the difference with your photo. The aircraft blur is still present, but the marshaller is much less blurry than in your photo. I admit it might have been easier for me to make this photo, as it is a selfie and I knew what to do/not to do. I tried to keep my whole body as still as possible, with the exception of my arms. EXIF was 10", F8, ISO160 @ 81mm.

Shots like this require some trial and error, but you're certainly on a good track! If you need any other input or pre-screening, don't hesitate to ask.
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

cjmoeser
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:15 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Hi Colin,

First of all I would like to say that it was nice to come across your photo in the queue. Even though it could use improvement, I welcome the attempt and encourage you and everyone else to keep trying. Regarding the improvements:

- It would be nicer to look at if the whole arc was included. If that makes the photo unbalanced, then I would suggest to move a bit further back next time. If the composition requires a bit more foreground to be visible, then that would be OK, but be careful to not overexpose that part too much.

- I recommend using a faster shutter speed. You mention 30 seconds, but I would use a lower number, for example 10 seconds. To compensate the exposure, you can bump up the ISO a bit. You can then see how that goes and tweak the settings until you're satisfied. Reducing the exposure time also makes my next point easier to execute.

- You could perhaps ask the marshaller to keep still as much as possible (without having him/her/you break any rules of course). Explain what you're trying to do and show the results afterwards. That might give them a better understanding of what you're trying to do.

I don't mean to brag/plug/whatever, but I will try to illustrate the difference using my own version of this type of photo.

You can see the difference with your photo. The aircraft blur is still present, but the marshaller is much less blurry than in your photo. I admit it might have been easier for me to make this photo, as it is a selfie and I knew what to do/not to do. I tried to keep my whole body as still as possible, with the exception of my arms. EXIF was 10", F8, ISO160 @ 81mm.

Shots like this require some trial and error, but you're certainly on a good track! If you need any other input or pre-screening, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll definitely give that a Go when I'm out there on my work week. I was acutely trying to base this off of that photo you took. I'll try to lower the shutter speed and learn it by Trial and Error.

Thanks everyone!