Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kann123air
Topic Author

Pre-Screening: Window shot

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:08 pm

Hey guys,

I thought I'd open a new thread as my last one had gotten a bit long and old. I'd love to get your opinions on this one before I toss it into the queue (or the garbage bin, whichever one it may be... :) )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98326903@N ... 5/sizes/o/

Is blur an issue? I know the wing is certainly a bit blurry, but I feel like these shots are given a little more leeway with regards to this criteria. Also, how's the exposure on it? I'm not sure how bright I should make it - trying to balance the dark wing and the bright lights below is difficult for me as I don't have much experience with this kind of shot.

Thanks,
Amrit

UnitedIsBae

Re: Pre-Screening: Window shot

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:15 am

background is a bit blurry

jelpee

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:42 am

Wing is visibly blurry and there's noise visible as well. The background blur is OK..no different than what you'd see in a panned image. Since the background has motion, I'd be looking for the wing to be the main subject. Therefore, a more illuminated wing would be how I'd go. However, given the blurriness of the winglet, I don't believe this one would make it. Also you might try a higher ISO than what you used (800?).

Jehan

kann123air
Topic Author

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:14 am

Thanks for your replies. Knew it was a long shot but thought I'd get some opinions on it anyway.

Talking of long shots... This one probably doesn't stand a chance (like the last one) but I thought I'd swing it by y'all:

www.flickr.com/photos/98326903@N07/31142842233/sizes/o/

I'm trying to diversify my personal database on here, as the vast majority of my shots uploaded on this site are sunny side-ons. Hopefully my persistence at this will pay off soon. :)

Thanks,
Amrit

UnitedIsBae

Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:37 pm

its a bit blurry on the left, nothing too major

jelpee

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:35 pm

I see a little bit of vignetting in the upper corners which you should be able to fix. A little brightness and some noise reduction on the wing surface should be good for this one.

Jehan

vikkyvik

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:48 am

UnitedIsBae wrote:
its a bit blurry on the left

I agree - winglet and leading edge of wing look blurry. Too blurry for me....

kann123air
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:25 am

Thanks for the input, guys. Think I'll just keep it for my personal collection.

kann123air
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:05 am

Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of trouble with this shot. It has been rejected twice now.

First upload (rejected for dark and personal with a comment saying "better with a 4:3 size ratio"): www.flickr.com/photos/98326903@N07/31742758251/sizes/o/

Okay, fair enough... It really was pretty dark. Since the screener's comment seemed like more of a personal suggestion, I did not factor that in to my re-edit.

Second upload: www.flickr.com/photos/98326903@N07/31344388943/sizes/o/

Rejected for oversharpened, HIF, noise, and underexposed. I didn't change the amount of sharpening at all and I applied the same amount of NR. I disagree with HIF (I intended it to be this way). What would be an appropriate amount of exposure for it? I feel like if I bump it up any more it'll make the nose of the aircraft (below the cockpit) severely overexposed.

Thanks,
Amrit

airkas1

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:06 am

Sharpening and centering are OK for me. But I find it blurry and underexposed to me. While the exposure issue could perhaps be improved a little, I don't know if it will be up to standards. But if it is indeed a bit blurry, then I suggest trying another frame of the sequence.

jelpee

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Underexposed for me as well in that the majority of the fuselage is dark. You might try gentle use of the shadow/highlight tool to brighten up the shadows without blowing out the nose...but proceed with caution since it tends to result in halos. I played around with the edit and the spot of glare under the cockpit windows doesnt seem to get any more prominent with some added brightness. So I think it still has some room for added brightness. You can try the "Screen" option in the Blending options if you happen to use Photoshop and then adjust the opacity to a suitable level. Unfortunately, this lighting situation is a common one when shooting from Imperial Hill in the late afternoons where the aircraft tend to be front lit.

As for blurry, the nose section does look blurry to me. Might be passable for a rare airframe, but I suspect this is not. As Kas suggested, perhaps there's another frame from the sequence that would work.

Jehan

airkas1

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:05 pm

Hey Amrit, as promised regarding your image of the Air Berlin A330:

kann123air
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:06 am

Kas and Jehan, thanks for the very in-depth replies. Really appreciate them. I'll try another frame in the sequence.

And Kas, thanks for the input on the AB shot. Will fix and resubmit.

Amrit

kann123air
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Hey guys,

I'm still having issues with this shot...

Take 1: rejected for blurry, personal, quality, and underexposed. Appealed, and rejected again with a nice explanation by Kas saying "Hi Amrit, the image can be much brighter without overexposing it. I will show you on the forum. Image also looks a bit blurry/OS"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98326903@ ... 5/sizes/o/

Take 2: rejected for overexposed, oversharpened, and noisy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98326903@ ... 0/sizes/o/

I thought I heeded Kas's example (posted above) but apparently the screener thought otherwise... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Amrit

airkas1

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:36 am

Hey Amrit,
It looks like you took the edit and applied some brightness? While it's looking better, it could still be brighter. In the histogram of take 2, the middle slider can easily go to somewhere between +20 and +30 without the image being overexposed. Of course it will require a new edit, since the contrast needs to be adjusted then too.
As you edited the edit, it still looks a bit OSish.

I can give it a go if you want.

vikkyvik

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:36 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Hey Amrit,It looks like you took the edit and applied some brightness? While it's looking better, it could still be brighter.

Ummm...

kann123air wrote:
Take 2: rejected for overexposed, oversharpened, and noisy.

airkas1

Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:36 am

vikkyvik wrote:
Ummm...

I misread :embarrassed2:
But it is definitely not overexposed..

kann123air
Topic Author

Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:26 am

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Sorry for the late response. Been really busy with college lately... lol.

I'll try to reduce the noise and amount of sharpening on that shot.

Amrit