trevisan26
Topic Author

7 Rejection Reasons??

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:44 pm

Hello everyone, need some help in this picture. It was rejected for:

Quality, Compression, Blurry, Grainy, Soft, Overexposed and Dark.

The picture doesn't look that bad, would love some feedback from you guys.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/air ... b896eec014

No details lost in exposure, and I need the black parts under the fuselage to give the right contrast...
Grainy is well controlled, I've used some noise reduction also.

Thanks in advance,
Thiago Trevisan

trevisan26
Topic Author

Re: 7 Rejection Reasons??

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:51 pm

Accepted in appeal :D

Any opinions about these two:
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/air ... 5693ced2cc
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/air ... 30c09348eb

Thanks in advance,
Thiago Trevisan

airkas1
Crew

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:40 am

1: Bit blurry
2: Subject dark/underexposed.
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

PeterB

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:16 pm

7 rejection reasons and it was accepted after appealing?
Was it a new screener and/or did the screener throw a coin?

Seriously...I start to doubt the reliability of the screening process if a picture gets 7 rejection reasons and still makes it after appealing.

PS: Don't get me wrong - the picture is fabulous!

trevisan26
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:29 pm

Thanks Kas.

Peter, I've the feeling that sometimes screening gets personal or a screener doesn't like me. The following examples were rejected previously and accepted on appeal. And there are many more...

Editing Blurry Colour Oversharpened Personal Noise CCW Rotation;
Overexposed Motive Personal Quality Soft Noise;
Blurry Colour Oversharpened Personal Soft;

Cheers,
Thiago Trevisan

PeterB

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:08 pm

Interesting piece of information!

Btw...Nr. 2 even made it to the front page: Congrats!

sergiomendes

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:44 pm

Already I think routine, anxiety in rejecting turned craze here in anet, unfortunately we have to live with it, depends on the Moon is rising blz releases if full rejects, already protested and I think the appeal to photo who rejected should have priority in re-evaluate because then we would have to guarantee that the result would be fair but unfortunately it is not so.

airkas1
Crew

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:12 pm

sergiomendes wrote:
Already I think routine, anxiety in rejecting turned craze here in anet, unfortunately we have to live with it, depends on the Moon is rising blz releases if full rejects, already protested and I think the appeal to photo who rejected should have priority in re-evaluate because then we would have to guarantee that the result would be fair but unfortunately it is not so.

No offense, but it's a bit hard to understand what you're saying.

Either way, if a photographer doesn't agree with a rejection, he/she can always appeal. I think this thread has also shown that the HS are able to judge fairly. Whenever we screen appeals, an E-mail gets sent automatically to all screeners to advise them of our decision. It is expected that they take this results and incorporate it in their way of screening.

sergiomendes

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:36 pm

Use the (translate.google.com ) this is my problem was suspended two months because I was not understood.
In my opinion, whoever rejects should do the reevaluation of rejected picture.
I hope you understand what you write, thank you.

airkas1
Crew

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:41 pm

Yes, I understand what you said now. However:

sergiomendes wrote:
In my opinion, whoever rejects should do the reevaluation of rejected picture.

That's not a good idea, because that screener obviously sees flaws with the image. So it would make no sense for that person to judge the same photo twice. It's not like he will suddenly overrule himself. Appeals should be handled by someone who is unbiased and hasn't screened the photo before. For example, that's why I can't process appealed photos that I have rejected.

LGM

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Where is the "standard"? So poor photos being accepted and amazing photos being rejected. Thats why I see some guys with 5000+ photos giving up of upload more.

And I want to point one more thing, 90% of my rejections are for "soft" in the last 3 months, and in most of them the lines are almost "jagged". A lot of friends are having this trouble too, and we not changed our editing ways...

Ok, appeal, the photo was reject just for "soft", after the new screening: "soft", "underexposed"... in one case I have "soft" and "oversharpened" on the same image!

If you have equal standards, appeal don't be necessary.

Att

jelpee
Crew

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Unfortunately, screening is not a mechanical process where there are quantitative (or equal) standards that can be applied. Due to it's subjective nature, there is some variation in the interpretation of criteria such sharp/soft. Sometimes, issues are borderline and are subject to interpretation as well. Other issues such as "Dirty" are easier to handle since either there is a dust spot or there isn't. Same with cases where part of the aircraft is cropped out or the image is not leveled. Also in the case of common airframes (i.e. over 100 images already in the database), the acceptance criteria is more severe. Therefore, you may see a "lesser quality" image of a rare airframe accepted while the same quality would be rejected for a common airframe.

As for your "soft" rejections where you feel the lines are "almost" jagged, perhaps they are cases where part of the aircraft is soft. As Kas mentioned above, use the appeal process for those if you feel that the screener's decision was incorrect.

Re. your comment about additional rejection reasons being added on appeal: I suppose the appeal process can go both ways. A second set of eyes can uncover issues that the first screener missed just as much as it can accept a previously rejected image. Unfortunately, it is not practical for every photo to be reviewed by 2 screeners before rejection. In my case, as a screener, I have images rejected as well. I try to understand the feedback and use it to improve my future submissions. Don't give up :)

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

JakTrax

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Jehan, I understand what you're saying, but the system is clearly broken if an image with an initial SEVEN rejection reasons is subsequently accepted on appeal. There's no other way to look at this.

LGM

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:21 am

JakTrax wrote:
Jehan, I understand what you're saying, but the system is clearly broken if an image with an initial SEVEN rejection reasons is subsequently accepted on appeal. There's no other way to look at this.

... I agree.

There is a type of montly report, or something like that, from the screeners to the head screeners to see this discrepancies? Like someone that rejects a lot, another accept a lot, rejection motives...? Instead of just the appeal from the photographer. With this numbers you can advise, train, "recycle" that screener that is "pushing the envelope".

I'm just trying to discuss this to help you to make this website better, because I like it.

Joshu
Crew

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:59 pm

LGM wrote:
JakTrax wrote:

There is a type of montly report, or something like that, from the screeners to the head screeners to see this discrepancies? Like someone that rejects a lot, another accept a lot, rejection motives...? Instead of just the appeal from the photographer. With this numbers you can advise, train, "recycle" that screener that is "pushing the envelope".

I'm just trying to discuss this to help you to make this website better, because I like it.

We can see everyone's stats as screeners. We can see how much we reject and it's broken down by reason. We screen to accept images here, not to reject them. The problem is that this is a very, very, subjective process and objectifying everything simply isn't possible. There are gray areas in a lot of things we have to judge.
Washington-Baltimore Spotters Group

JakTrax

Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:40 pm

'Soft' and 'quality' are perhaps the only truly subjective rejection reasons. The others are pretty succinct, in that a photo either 'is' or it 'isn't'.