Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

twosevenright
Topic Author

New camera and lens, a step back rather than a step forward?

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi guys,

Last year I made the change from the Canon 550D with a EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM to a Canon 760D with a EF 70-200mm 1:4 L IS lens..

I've got to be honest I think I have made the wrong decision with this exchange as I have not been too happy with the photos I've had compared to the ones I have had accepted in the past with the 550D and the 75-300mm lens.

So I'm starting to realise this may have been a step back for me rather than a step forward. I'll be interested to hear your opinion guys, have I made a bad purchase?

Regards,

Tom S.

airkas1

Re: New camera and lens, a step back rather than a step forward?

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:00 pm

Hi Tom,

Even though I mainly use a 100-400, I find the 70-200 a great lens with good quality. I'm not too familiar with the 760D, but judging the numbers it should be a step up.
So at least lens-wise, I don't think you made a bad decision.

twosevenright
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:11 pm

Thanks for your reply airkas.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Ryanair/ ... 3S/2821957 < - Canon 760D with 70-200mm Lens

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Ryanair/ ... 3S/2687337 < - Canon 550D with 75-300mm Lens

I just think the latter looks better and less grainy than the new one but still they both got accepted.

I still think I'm doing something wrong with the new camera and I'm not sure what to do. My acceptance ratio has been dropping considerably, plus I have 2 big spotting trips within Europe coming up shortly so after the disappointment I had with my last big trip at Manchester, I'd like to get things sorted out.

A350

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm not a Canon user but given that the 760D is 5 years younger and approximately at the same level of Canon's lineup it shouldn't be a step back. But: did you sell the 75-300mm lens? Your both telephoto lenses are overlapping, but not the same, one is faster, one is longer. In some situations youneed more the one, in others more the other one. Do you miss the long end?

Miguel1982

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:15 am

Well, the light on the shots you posted is quite different, the latter being warmer and generally better. That's also something to consider.

I did shoot for some time with the 70-200 F4L and have great memories of it. Pin sharp, light and really fast autofocus. I think it outperforms the 70-300 any day. Can't comment on the 760D as I haven't used, but if other newer Canon models are anything to go by, it should be OK, and a step up over the 550D.

Keep in mind that a change in equipment will always bring a learning period associated. If you elaborate a bit more why are you seeing your acceptance ratio drop we may be able to help a bit further :)

Cheers,
M.

seahawk

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:02 am

It depends if 200mm are enough for you. If you filled the frame with the 300mm and need to crop much more with the 200mm the advantage of the better lens and newer camera is reduced to a large extent.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:38 am

Well, first to judge the difference in the quality of the shot you would need to look at the full-size or at least in a larger version. Honestly at 1.200px or smaller you won't notice a huge difference.
As far as I am concerned the 75-300 isn't a great lense (not known for its quality), it is okay until 200mm, but gets really soft / blurry afterwards.
In full size your new Images should be much sharper than the old ones.

The 70-200L is an upgrade on that. Of course 200mm would be too short for me as well, but as I mentioned before you couldn't need the 300mm at least for quality images neither.

The 760D (although I don't use it neither) is an upgrade from the 550D, but as it has basically more mgeapixels in what I guess is an equally sized sensor it might produce slightly more grain, that is possible.

HarryLi
Screener

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:50 am

I am using the same lens with you. Well, i think this is a good lens which provide very good quailty photos to me and i also satisify to them although sometime is too short for me sice i used 5D2 but i think most of time is enough for me. I haven't used 75-300 before and it is rare to see this lends in China.And as i know that some lenses only can get some good quality photos within some length i don't know 75-300 but 70-200 is good for the whole Length and it has Fluorite inside so it makes sure the quality of the photos.

Regarding to the Camera issue, i always consider new generation is better than the old and it indeed improved a lot in 760D especially screen and focus way and focusing points. Thus, although i don't use 760D i consider that it should provide better photos than 550D. But i used 700D before and also i used my friend's 550D before. Comparing them , i think 700D is better than 550D in many aspects. Besides, 550D has published for many years it which means that it shoud be an old guy. And as i know , as the age grows the CMOS will grow older too which means that the quality of the photos would be wrose than before. But 760D is a brand new camera it will not have this kind of situation.
So in my perspective, i think 760D shoud be better than 550D and also with my experience in using 70-200 it should be a good lens to spot planes!

Cheers,
Harry

JakTrax

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:02 pm

You're either doing something wrong or you have a terrible copy of the 70-200 f/4L, because there really is no comparison (and I've used both). The camera shouldn't make too much difference, except for the fact that a higher megapixel count will demand more from the lens. Still, an optic of the quality of the 70-200 should still offer quite an upgrade.

Karl